The Y2K

22 posts

Flag Post

Hi. Just asking, what really happened in Y2K? I was too young to understand by then. And nobody told me about it. Don’t give me a link to a video. Nor a picture. I just want to know.

Flag Post

We were wrong about the Y2K, nothing happened.

Flag Post

Fortyish years ago, computer memory was obscenely expensive. Programmers had to perform all sorts of ridiculous tricks to save space so that their programs would run.

One fairly common optimization was to store the year in only two digits – that is, to always assume that it would be 19xx, and only keep track of the xx.

This would obviously break down at 12:00 am on January 1st, 2000. All those computers would think “Hay it’s the 1900s!” and throw a big party by doing all sorts of unexpected things.

These things would have included screwing up bank records, messing up automated systems in hospitals, and fucking things up for airplanes in flight.

We obviously did not want.

Fortunately, this fundamental problem in many computer systems was noticed in time, and tons of people were hired to fix it – and they did, hooray!

The only reason why nothing happened was due to the efforts of hundreds of thousand computer programmers (honestly, many of them were barely even that) over several years.

(this is all off the top of my head as I remember it, I might be wrong on some points)

Flag Post

I know now. And it wasn’t .either

Flag Post

As Einar said. There was a problem with the way we had designed computer up to that point, we made the effort to redesign and replace them, and prevented any significant issues.

Add on to that general media sensationalising of the issue.

Flag Post

basicaly what elinar said, But It wasn’t because it would be a party, it would be because, like dates would be too early and everything would be screwed

Flag Post

My dad actually was one of the people hired to fix the computers

Anyone seen the Family Guy episode of Y2k, must see.

Flag Post

It probably wouldn’t have even been so terrible an issue. Not to mention, the logistics of updating systems wouldn’t have been too difficult at all. No different than adding new features on.

Flag Post

No different than adding new features on.

I thought that the clock was an integral part to the programs computers ran on?

Flag Post

It was to my knowledge. It was a part of the basic motherboard design that was the issue iirc.

Flag Post

Well, motherboards on even complex systems are very easily replaced. Hardware issues are arguably easier to remedy in this case, since you’d only need to print new boards for very specific, specialized machines. Granted, a software patch could be distributed very quickly to a wide number of machines.

Still, the issues it’d cause wouldn’t be anywhere near impossibly to remedy. I am not quite sure I can think of any off the top of my head. There wouldn’t be any data in any fields for 1900 anyway, so it should function regularly.

Flag Post

The REAL Y2k is really the Y2k+38 bug. If we don’t replace everything within 30 years, we’re dead. )

Flag Post

Well, not just the computers and CMOS clocks, some older software even hard coded to read the date as 19XX.

Anyway, that is all way over already… A lesson well learnt.

Flag Post

Yeah – my grandfather wrote some of that code, actually. Back in the 60s I think. Never occurred to him that the code might still be used that much later, which frankly I’d say is reasonable. But yes, lesson definitely learned.

Flag Post

Ehh, the year 2038 bug won’t be much of a problem. With the current adoption rate of 64 bit hardware, we’ll probably have replaced almost everything that was running on 32 bits by then.

Of course, after that we’re gonna have to worry about the year 292,277,026,596 bug.

Flag Post

Einar is god for that last bit. Besides, we have about 30 so years to do that, and we will be on much higher bits by then

Flag Post

I watched the news a few days into the new year. They mentioned that Blockbuster had some issues with the Y2k bug, which resulted in late charges for several customers getting screwed because the system went back to 1900.

That’s pretty much the worst thing that I heard about happening, and they fixed it after a couple of days.

Flag Post

Einar, there is year 10k as well, because current computers only store it as XXXX, not XXXXX. Of course, I’m sure things will be fine with that.

Flag Post

Well, there was that, and then there was that whole non-computer thing…

You know, on midnight when 2000 rolled around, the world was supposed to go into a biblical Apocalypse. … Because it was a big round number counting out 2000 years since the year we say Jesus died.

If the Apocalypse is tied to the calendar, I wonder which time zone it will start in…

Flag Post

You know, on midnight when 2000 rolled around, the world was supposed to go into a biblical Apocalypse. … Because it was a big round number counting out 2000 years since the year we say Jesus died.

So what happened on 100 AD, 200 AD, or 1000 AD? I don’t get why someone would get a pattern out of that.

EDIT: And Jesus counts in Hexadecimal, too…

Flag Post

Nuh uh jesus uses teh Binary

xD

Flag Post

Well, you could say that for any base, so I declare that once it is year 10 in base 2012, the world will end!

EDIT: That reminds me… I gotta go make some extra symbols for my base-2012 numeral system.