Grand Unification Theory

7 posts

Flag Post

I was wondering if any one here could help me with some equations to detect a Higgs Boson particle.

Flag Post

I’m not completely versed in physics, but isn’t Higgs the theoretical (unobserved) particle that provides particles with mass? In particular, what equations are you talking about? I’m pretty sure that the tests at LHC this fall will be the only thing that can detect Higgs (if it exists.)

Flag Post

Correct you won the internet. I actually made this thread to see if anyone on here even KNEW about the GUT at all and yeah the LHC is atm the only thing that can detect it. Especially since CERN and Fermilab weren’t powerful enough. Yeah the equations in theory are known they are just atm looking for an observable higgs boson in a real experiment not theoretical.

Flag Post

So what did you need help with?

Flag Post

What actual equations are used in predicting a Higgs Boson? I.E. : {\Delta x}\, {\Delta p} \ge \frac{\hbar}{2} for Schrödinger’s equation

Flag Post

I have to admit, this is way ahead of my understanding of physics (don’t know much quantum notation more than h-bar…), but I did manage to pull up a page full of equations here . I’m pretty sure it’s a consequence of the uniting of the weak and strong nuclear forces and electromagnetism, but I could be wrong. Hope it helps.

Flag Post

PERFECT Thank you, I couldnt remember what it was called so all my searches turned up for nought. Again thank you. Was recently listening to the audiobook version of The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking.