The best rifle of WW2 page 2

44 posts

Flag Post

Karabiner 98k

Flag Post
Originally posted by Final_Crisis:

Karabiner 98k

Still in use today, Over 14 million built. Excellent range, could be fitted with a scope and used as a sniper rifle. Weighs about the same as the M1 garand, 5 round clip and bolt action, Very good stopping power. Overall it was a decent main battle rifle but the small clip and bolt action make it a poor choice compared to the Lee-Enfield (British soldiers were trained to fire like 20 aimed rounds a minute) and the american Garand in a large scale battle.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZhangYide:
Originally posted by Final_Crisis:

Karabiner 98k

Still in use today, Over 14 million built. Excellent range, could be fitted with a scope and used as a sniper rifle. Weighs about the same as the M1 garand, 5 round clip and bolt action, Very good stopping power. Overall it was a decent main battle rifle but the small clip and bolt action make it a poor choice compared to the Lee-Enfield (British soldiers were trained to fire like 20 aimed rounds a minute) and the american Garand in a large scale battle.

I do say that the main downfall was the bolt-action. If it was say.. Still 5 rounds, BUT Semi-Automatic (like if you would replace bolt-action to Semi-auto without the consequences) it’d be the worlds best gun during 1940 era.

Flag Post

if it was say.. Still 5 rounds, BUT Semi-Automatic (like if you would replace bolt-action to Semi-auto without the consequences)

I’m no expert on guns but I do believe that removing the bolt in favor of semi-auto without consequences would be impossible as there would be a fair bit of accuracy drop due to fire mechanism changes. All of the kar.98’s strength is it’s accuracy range and stopping power. Losing any of that would force you to completely redesign it.

Flag Post

I’m saying as if it was a Semi-Auto without any of the consequences (loss of range, power, etc. As if it still retained it’s normal Bolt-Action power)

But you are correct about the re-designing and it’s firepower.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Arbitor165:

So we aren’t allowed to consider non-American rifles then? I personally think the STG-44 was a pretty awesome all-round rifle for its time. And we can’t forget the economical ingeniousness that the Sten 9mm was.

For American rifles though, probably the M1-Carbine, though they were much more expensive to produce, and it wasn’t even in service until halfway through the war. /butwhatever

This. If you want to argue semi-automatic rifles then yes, perhaps the carbine was the best for WWII. However, the STG-44 became the precursor of automatic rifles as they exist today, making it more influential than other firearms from that era (I say firearms, because obviously the most influential weapon is the atom bomb).

Flag Post

Not so sure I agree with the OP; while yes in the criteria he choose the M1 carbine wins out. It is I think important to point out that the some of the things that matter most in a rifle are stopping power, accuracy, and magazine capacity. While losing out in magazine capacity the garand had vastly more power (3x) and had a greater sight length which means that it will be fired more accurately, and the garand was also used scoped as a sniper rifle. Depending on the mission a soldier was carrying out would also have a significant deciding factor over which is better. On a side note what about the Iver Johnson rifle the M1941 basically a 10 round garand; not really……..

There are also machinegun/rifles like the BAR or FG42. I find these rifles to be vastly superior in many ways.

My choice for best WWII rifle goes to the BAR: 20 rounds of 30-06, detachable magazine, reliable, good sights, and full auto. Its draw back is size and weight.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gunsaregood:

best WWII rifle goes to the BAR: 20 rounds of 30-06, detachable magazine, reliable, good sights, and full auto. Its draw back is size and weight.

I would like to agree with you that the BAR was best but the BAR was far too heavy and ease of manufacture has to be taken into consideration and the 270 dollar price tag for a BAR was a real heart stopper for the 1930’s-1940’s, it’s the reason only 100,000 BAR’s have ever been produced.

Flag Post

I see that you guys dont like bolt action rifles.Well bolt action rifles are stronger i watched a show called triggers and the lee enfield had like destroyed the whole brick.But on the other hand the kar98k makes a little hole in the front and makes a big hole in the back.But it came to the end where i have to decide on the lee enfield. Classification type:Bolt action type,Magazine Fed,Repeating.Contracter:Royal small arms factory,Birmingham small arms,London small arms,Royal ordnance factory UK/Lithgow small arms Australia/Isahpore rifle factory india/Longbranch arsenal canada/Savage arms usa/Pakistan ordnance factories pakistan.Country of origin:UK.Operators:UK,Australia,Canada,India,Indonesia,Iraq,Ireland,Isreal,New zealand,Pakistan,South africa,Thailand,United arab emirates.

Flag Post

M1 Garand. Hardly any jamming. You could literally take it apart in the battlefield if you needed to. Very durable. The 7.62×63 round would drop just about anything you would encounter in WWII (excluding armor of course). The 7.62×63 also had quite the range. The 7.62×33 that the carbine fired was nice if you were within a few dozen yards of the enemy, but it lost quite a bit of its power at any significant distance.

Now, on the German side of things, I think the STG-44 was great. The round it fired, 7.92×33, was imperfect, but, the design and idea behind the STG-44 was ingenious. The Germans knew they needed a firearm that had the convenient automatic feature of a submachine gun, coupled with the range of rifle. Thus, the STG-44 was born. It wasn’t perfect, but it still set the stage for future assault rifle development. For example, look at the STG-44…now look at the AK-47…similar ain’t they?

Flag Post

The STG was the first assault rifle, cool beans.

But wait, how many years did it serve in the war? Oh, okay, 2 years.

Not to mention, it was heavy as fuck.

Flag Post
Originally posted by satans_shadow:
Originally posted by gunsaregood:

best WWII rifle goes to the BAR: 20 rounds of 30-06, detachable magazine, reliable, good sights, and full auto. Its draw back is size and weight.

I would like to agree with you that the BAR was best but the BAR was far too heavy and ease of manufacture has to be taken into consideration and the 270 dollar price tag for a BAR was a real heart stopper for the 1930’s-1940’s, it’s the reason only 100,000 BAR’s have ever been produced.

A SAW is supposed to be heavy. Do you know how much the M249 SAW and the M240B weigh? Soldiers are carrying them around all day. It’s not made for mobility, it’s to provide heavy fire.

Flag Post

i just want to say for me the best rifle is STG-44 they were produced late in the war about 1942 or 1943 and they were also called MP-44 and there’s also the Kr98 (i think kinda forgot if it is the right shortcut of the rifle) it’s one of the most used weapon of germany, germany has one of the best weapons in history.

Flag Post
Originally posted by orangesamurai:

i just want to say for me the best rifle is STG-44 they were produced late in the war about 1942 or 1943 and they were also called MP-44 and there’s also the Kr98 (i think kinda forgot if it is the right shortcut of the rifle) it’s one of the most used weapon of germany, germany has one of the best weapons in history.

</blockquote
i almost forgot the rifle of the soviet the PPSh submachinegun which was was built over about approx. 6,000,000 million which has a 35-round box magazine or 71-round magazine it’s sights are iron sights blowback,open bolt it’s weight is (8.0) without the magazine it’s length is about (33.2 in) it’s manufacturer is about numerous and it’s barrel length is about (10.6 in)

Flag Post

heh my post there quoting my post is messy

Flag Post
Originally posted by orangesamurai:

Close enough. Anyway, the STG44 was a good one disregarding cost (I think someone else brought up how heavy it was), but it was very difficult to produce and it was one of the more expensive infantry weapons of the war. The 98K was fine except for one thing- it was expensive and difficult to produce compared to the Enfield (has to do with some strengthening structure- Enfield could fire faster but not as long ranged, and the Mauser was a lot more accurate and a lot more powerful). Honestly, from a nation’s point of view, like having to produce and field it, the Enfield is probably your best bet because it’s almost as good as the 98K but a hell of a lot easier to make.

Originally posted by scoopolard:

For example, look at the STG-44…now look at the AK-47…similar ain’t they?

There is actually quite a lot of thought now that they just copied the thing and said some guy made it up. Later, he picked up weapons designing, but he hasn’t exactly made anything as good as the original Ak-47.

Flag Post

You’re right, 1132…

Only many, many different rifles have been based off of the AK-47’s platform and have been made for many, many years.

Flag Post

Meanwhile in Kruks-Land the wurstels are ready..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2CxgnAisQ

Flag Post

STG-44