We should let the old and weak die? Or not? page 4

88 posts

Flag Post

Man can communicate and say “these bones may be brittle and these muscles may be dry — But I’ll be damned if anyone robs of my sea of life — Nigh!”

Flag Post

Man can also communicate and say they wish to die. Why should we deny them that, and why deny them the option of dying in comfort with their mind still intact?

Flag Post

We shouldn’t. If he wants to die and is old, do it. But give a proper psychological screening first. We shouldn’t assume all men want to, though. I’m all for euthanasia, but this whole colloquial idea of “forced” euthanasia is just eugenics at work and a way to veil murderous tendencies.

Flag Post

Never said all wish to, but denying them the option to die at a time of their own choosing, with their loved ones around them, able to comprehend what is going on, is better for both them and the family in my opinion, then keeping them alive over their objections, until they die a withered husk, incontinent, and unable to understand what’s going on, nor remember what they did two minutes ago – or who these strange people all are.

It takes a medical consensus to allow it, but I am of the opinion more places should permit the right to die, rather than forcing them to stay alive until what’s left of their body finally gives out, based on the will of others.

EDIT: And… you changed your post after I posted. Thank you for that.

Flag Post

No I didn’t?

Flag Post

Did you edit it whilst I was typing then? As you definitely had something about not assuming people want to at first, but had not added the bits about being in favor of the choice.

Flag Post

Not sure. Maybe I’m insane, I only remember editing my first post to change “fragile” to “brittle” for alliteration. If I did, it was while you were typing, although I surely don’t remember editing the second post. maybe you skimmed it? It was a brief one sentence.

Flag Post

I don’t really care if someone wants to be mercy killed. I just don’t think it shouldn’t be done without consent, unless of course there is proof that they wanted to be mercy killed. I’m talking about mercy killing w/o consent towards myself, which was brought up when responding to another post.

If someone wants to die by drugs painlessly, then fine. I’m just saying that if at the time, I’m morally against it, it’s not right. That’s all. No big whoop. There’s no way to counter that because it’s my OPINION. You can’t persuade me by going ‘would you rather die in pain or without’ because I’ve OBVIOUSLY already decided that or why would I be here?

Flag Post

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Flag Post

You’re talking about Euthanasia right? What I can say is this, if people have the inalienable right to life, they also have the right to die with dignity. Oregon has legalized euthanasia under it’s statue. If a person is in wrenching pain and gives their consent, than they should be allowed euthanasia or drugs that will reduce the pain and speed up the process. Still, some of the religious right and other conservatives believe that euthanasia is akin to suicide/murder. It very well does end a life. If euthanasia were every to become legalized elsewhere it does need regulations to stop healthy but mentally ill people from just committing suicide but rather seek treatment.

I am a bit leery eyed by how you frame this question though… I’m a conservative and I don’t call liberals narrow minded for being pro choice. It’s just their opinion even if I disagree.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mason3902:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

You posted the exact same necro on the Procrastination thread.

Flag Post

what a horrible story about a horribly selfish family, and a retarded law that bans the right to euthanesia. i hope it’s fictional.

that’s all i have to say.

Flag Post

Commenting on Title
You may be strong today and hate the old and the weak, but one day you too will be like them and you children or grandchildren will also hate you.
What will you do when this happens?