An argument arising on Facebook.

257 posts

Flag Post

Someone asked on a poll question: 6÷2(1+2)=?

Now there are only two answers to choose from: 1 and 9.
600,000 went for 1, and 800,000 went for 9. I’m adamant it’s 9 by following BIDMAS/BODMAS, but many clearly disagree. What do we think?

(I’m sorry if this isn’t serious enough for this forum)

Flag Post

You need to follow BODMAS so:
Brackets. (1+2) is 3.
Now divide. 6/2 = 3.
Now multiply. 3 × 3 is 9.

The answer is 9.
The way it’s written could be misleading. If the equation was written as:
-————
2(1+2)

Then the bottom part gets an implied bracket and answer is 1.

However, it is not explicitley written like that so the answer is 9.

Flag Post

I’m rather sure it’s 1. I think dividing the 2 before distributing it is broken math. It helps me if I look at it like 6 over 2(1+3), instead of the ÷ that no one but elementary students use.

Edit: Wait, there’s a different between / and ÷?..

Whatever, I’ll let someone who’s more sure of their math handle this, I gotta get to school :|

Flag Post
Originally posted by Arbitor165:

I’m rather sure it’s 1. I think dividing the 2 before distributing it is broken math. It helps me if I look at it like 6 over 2(1+3), instead of the ÷ that no one but elementary students use.

Edit: Wait, there’s a different between / and ÷?..

Whatever, I’ll let someone who’s more sure of their math handle this, I gotta get to school :|

As I stated in my post it’s unclaer. However, you can only take it as it’s written. It’s written as a series of expressions combined into one. If this were entered into a computer the answer would be 9. When writing expressions on a single line you need to specify all brackets that would other wise be implied.

In other words the answer is 9 due to the way it is written.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ljrules95:

(I’m sorry if this isn’t serious enough for this forum)

I don’t know about others, but for me…this topic is quite serious.
After reading the above,,,,I now have a “serious” headache. LOL

Flag Post

6 ÷ 2(1+2)
= 6 ÷ 2 × 3
=3 × 3 = 9?

It isn’t 6 ÷ (2 × 3), so the equation should go from left to right.

Flag Post

… This is elementary algebra, and it shows how dumb the world has become. Parenthesis are first. Always. Always. So you have 6/2*3. So, what now? More info is needed. Classic case of trolling — learn to spot it young one. One can place the parenthesis around 2*3 yielding 1, or around 6/2 yielding 9, or the parenthesis can go up your ass. I really don’t care — more information is needed. Punch it into a calculator and it does all it knows how, PEMDAS, where it groups division and multiplication as one and reads left to right.

Flag Post

My scientific calculator(from CASIO) says it’s 9.

Whatcha gonna do about it?

Flag Post

Where’s the merit in this? Pretty cut and dry; following proper procedure, it’s 9. What’s there to discuss?

Flag Post

Bracket segments are enacted before division segments; however, multiplication can be enacted either before or after division. The way I was taught had multiplication enacted beforehand; ergo:
6÷2(3)
6÷6

Flag Post
Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:

Bracket segments are enacted before division segments; however, multiplication can be enacted either before or after division. The way I was taught had multiplication enacted beforehand; ergo:
6÷2(3)
6÷6

Not when the expression is written on a single line. Single line expressions are solved using pure BODMAS.

Flag Post

And what, precisely, is BODMAS?

Flag Post

BODMAS or BIDMAS is Brackets, Indices, Divide, Multiply, Add, Subtract.

Flag Post

Probably some acronym related to teaching you the order of operations.

Either way, I vote it’s 9 – when you’re at the 6÷2(3) part, then multiplication and division have equal priority, so the operations go from the left to right – and division is to the left, so it goes first.

Flag Post

Either way, I vote it’s 9 – when you’re at the 6÷2(3) part, then multiplication and division have equal priority, so the operations go from the left to right – and division is to the left, so it goes first.

The way I see it, the operations concerning the parenthesis has to be resolved 1st. Meaning: 6÷2(3) → 6÷6 → 1
Or its just that I always equate ÷ = /… Either way my answer is 1.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aneslayer:

The way I see it, the operations concerning the parenthesis has to be resolved 1st. Meaning: 6÷2(3) → 6÷6 → 1

Exactly!

Flag Post

The operations INSIDE the paranthesis get solved first. You then remove the paranthesis and are left with:
6÷2x3

You then have to do the division first to get 3 × 3. This equals 9.

EDIThttp://tinyurl.com/697qc86

Flag Post
Originally posted by GesterX:

The operations INSIDE the paranthesis get solved first. You then remove the paranthesis and are left with:
6÷2x3

I disagree. The parenthesis can only be removed after resolving 2(3) which is 6. With a number(without operant) next to the parenthesis, it implies multiplication involving the parenthesis. Its only when 2x(3), then the answer is 9.

Flag Post

6÷2x3

I disagree. The parenthesis can only be removed after resolving 2(3) which is 6.

You can disagree all you like. Doesn’t make you mathmatically correct. Writing 2(3) is just a rephrasing of 2*3. Which gets done AFTER the division. It’s a basic principle of mathematics. There is nothing to debate here…

http://tinyurl.com/697qc86

Flag Post

Seeming as BIDMAS tells you to solve brackets first, it just seems obvious to remove that first.

Flag Post

Seeming as BIDMAS tells you to solve brackets first, it just seems obvious to remove that first.

The B in BIDMAS refers only to expressions INSIDE the brackets. It does not refer to statements adjacent to brackets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

Flag Post

6÷2x3

I disagree. The parenthesis can only be removed after resolving 2(3) which is 6.

You can disagree all you like. Doesn’t make you mathmatically correct. Writing 2(3) is just a rephrasing of 2*3. Which gets done AFTER the division. It’s a basic principle of mathematics. There is nothing to debate here…

Which it computes as (6÷2)x(1+2). Not the original equation. I see I edited my prior post after you posted…

The B in BIDMAS refers only to expressions INSIDE the brackets. It does not refer to statements adjacent to brackets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

With a number(without operant) next to the parenthesis, it implies multiplication involving the parenthesis. Its only when 2x(3), then the answer is 9.

Flag Post

That’s the way I have learnt it at school.
Solve
1. what’s inside the bracket
2. the dots (multiplication and division)
3. the lines (addition and subtraction)

Flag Post

6÷2x3

Which it computes as (6÷2)x(1+2). Not the original equation. I see I edited my prior post after you posted…

This is the original equation. It’s adding the brackets to show you what gets worked out first. Once again 2(3) is identical (and equivalent) to 2*3 and in the order of operations that gets done after division. Unless you can provide mathematical proof that the order of operations are wrong then the answer is 9.

When writing single line expressions all implied paranthesis must be indicated. You are confusing 2(3) with (2(3)). Only in this case would you do the 2*3 before the division.

Flag Post

It’s definately 9, IMO.

6÷2(1+2)=?

Brackets. 6÷2(3)

Divide. 3(3)

Multiply. 3 × 3 is 9.