Immortality: A blessing or a curse?

62 posts

Flag Post

The way I see it there are four downsides to immortality.

1: Mortals would try to capture you for experiments.

2: Everybody you know will die.

3: The older you get the more problems will occur. Unable to walk, sickenss etc
( suppose you could pick an age to stay at.)

4: You could take as much damage as possible but no end to pain if continuous.

I would consider immortality a blessing. I would choose around age 25-30

What is your opinion on immortality?

Flag Post

This a subject that has already been explored extensively by fiction, general consensus is that it would suck majorly. No risk, no pain, no reason to live, you dig?

Flag Post

I would love to be able to see everything that goes on from here on out. Some of your family might die in your life time without immortality. Why would you grow tired of living?

Flag Post

At some point in life you’ve done everything you wanted to do. At some point in life you’ve done everything you didn’t want to do. Plus, if you were born in a poor society, all you can do all your life is work to even do the smallest things you want. Most people wouldn’t enjoy working, it’s what you do to stay alive and do some fun stuff. I don’t think I would want it, if only even for the second point you make.

Flag Post

Because there is no danger, no thrill. Life comes with a built in expiration date and enjoyment comes from making the most of the time we have. If you live forever, you can easily just postpone doing anything interesting for decades. Not only that but, lets be honest here, 99% of your life will be spent doing mundane and boring shit. The few moments of interesting stuff breaks up the monotony, but eventually what you thought was once interesting becomes blasé. Not to mention the likelihood of a mass-extinction at some point in the Earth’s future, would you really want to live in a wasteland where the only food was dirt for billions of years?

Flag Post

The longer you live, the more likely you re to end up trapped some place. Eventually, due t an earthquake or building collapse, you will be trapped. And you would not die. You would be trapped there forever.

Flag Post

Over time life will lose it’s value, so will living.

Flag Post

The worst part of being immortal would be seeing ALL of your family and friends die at some point.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BlackBone:

The worst part of being immortal would be seeing ALL of your family and friends die at some point.

I think burning for millions of years when the sun expands would be a bit more of a bummer.

Flag Post

I think it’d be very interesting to learn every language known to man, but I’m not so sure if I would give up my mortality just for that.

Flag Post

Being immortal to me would be a blessing, I could master most martial arts & fight some good people.
Also, you could get used to pain so that you can withstand it.

Flag Post

You know how when you get older time seems to pass faster? after a few thousand years a day may feel like a hour or minute.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kazan_Epic:

You know how when you get older time seems to pass faster? after a few thousand years a day may feel like a hour or minute.

Not true… It appears so when the days you are running on are diminishing…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Cammy_Justice:

Because there is no danger, no thrill. Life comes with a built in expiration date and enjoyment comes from making the most of the time we have. If you live forever, you can easily just postpone doing anything interesting for decades. Not only that but, lets be honest here, 99% of your life will be spent doing mundane and boring shit. The few moments of interesting stuff breaks up the monotony, but eventually what you thought was once interesting becomes blasé. Not to mention the likelihood of a mass-extinction at some point in the Earth’s future, would you really want to live in a wasteland where the only food was dirt for billions of years?

If you are immortal, you actually get to see interesting stuff that nobody else will ever see because they are very rare. Surely the ordinary “intersting” things will become boring very quickly, but as your preception of time speeds up, new interesting things will appear. I would probably enjoy watching civilisations rise and fall (Maybe manipulate a few). As that gets boring, watching and manipulating evolution might become a fun pastime for the next billion years. A mass extinction is likely to be a great opportunity, as you can witness evolution starting again from 0.
That is off course, assuming you never get trapped during your infinite lifespan. Also, after 5 billion years, burning in the sun would quickly ruin immortality for you. And if that doesn’t, freezing in the void once the sun goes boom is going to make the next aeons suck really hard. So yeah, after 5 billion years, immortality wouldn’t be that much fun anymore.

Flag Post

I’d love an immortality like Claire Bennett. My favorite turn-on is learning something new… so I’ll have a lot to strive for. Plus, if it’s like hers, then you are unable to experience pain, physically. You still have emotions to keep you alive. And, there is a little tiny spot in the back of your head… if life ever gets too hard, just ::clunk:: and boom and smack and you are dead… until the spike is removed, but how will it if you’re buried?

Plus, the immortality curse thing assumes a) you continue aging. Not if you get regenerative cells.

b) Even if your physical being is fucking wrecked, e.g., thrust into a star, then you somehow survive. No brain, no conscious.

c) misery outweighs the pain.

I would love to be immortal. Nothing says these assumptions are right, anyway. Especially b). That one irks me hard.

And after about 500 years of surviving… you are able to sleep with your daughter, no risk of polluting the gene pool by then.

(As a side, people really aren’t that educated on incest — it is not as dangerous as everyone thinks… at least for two generations, then shit gets whack)

Originally posted by Aneslayer:
Originally posted by Kazan_Epic:

Not true… It appears so when the days you are running on are diminishing…

Also, not true. It has to do with how much time just recently elapsed compared to how much time in total has elapsed in your lifetime. I have a source that details this, and I cannot, for the life of me, remember where I found it. It had, math, and numbers, and shit in it — quite convincing. Meh, not nearly up to par, but it will have to suffice

Flag Post

I’d love to be immortal as long as I could control when I die (or, better yet, set it to a timer).

I think being able to see where technology and humanity go would be wildly fascinating and I am jealous that I will not know how humanity ends. It’s like a mystery novel that I’ll never see the ending to.

I want to know if we ever make it out into space. I want to know if we colonize other worlds. I want to see where science takes us. There’s so much to learn and do… I’m not sure I’d ever get bored of it.

But I wouldn’t want to be immortal if things get to the point where humanity is gone and I’m basically floating around in space forever. That’s a torture worse than death many times over.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

At some point in life you’ve done everything you wanted to do. At some point in life you’ve done everything you didn’t want to do. Plus, if you were born in a poor society, all you can do all your life is work to even do the smallest things you want. Most people wouldn’t enjoy working, it’s what you do to stay alive and do some fun stuff. I don’t think I would want it, if only even for the second point you make.

If ur born into a poor society ur stuck in that forever? lol no. If u were immortal and not a complete moron, you would easily get out of having to “work to even do the smallest things.” I know i would.

Flag Post

If ur born into a poor society ur stuck in that forever? lol no. If u were immortal and not a complete moron, you would easily get out of having to “work to even do the smallest things.” I know i would.

I could type out a paragraph to tell you you’re wrong, but instead I’ll just tell you you’re wrong. No. You could not. Not even when you say you could.

I’d love to be immortal as long as I could control when I die (or, better yet, set it to a timer).

Wouldn’t that kind of defeat the concept of “immortality”?

Flag Post

are u kidding darkruler? You have the power of immortality and you cant get yourself out of poverty? lol… considering you can get urself out of poverty without immortality, Id say its pretty much a cake walk.

Flag Post

If you’re immortal, you don’t exactly have to worry about food. Gives you plenty of time to get yourself educated.

Flag Post

considering you can get urself out of poverty without immortality

No.

You have the power of immortality and you cant get yourself out of poverty?

You can, eventually, perhaps. But as my initial post stated, it’s not very enjoyable.

I’m also not very convinced the concept of immortality is a strong one.

Flag Post

All i would have to do is show one person getting out of poverty to prove you wrong… J.K. Rowling… alright there you are wrong lol…

If you were immortal however, depending on the time period, there would be many ways to get out of poverty relatively quickly. Are you not creative enough to think of any? As Rubix suggested, you could go without food saving up money to afford education. You could become a street performer who shows off his immortality… considering magicians can make a well enough living to not be in poverty, an immortal human could really make a living doing this. You could do jobs that no one was willing to do. You could become a hero, putting urself in danger to save others. There are many things you could do, and like I said, as long as ur not a moron, it wouldnt be too hard.

Flag Post

I agree, if I was immortal the last thing on my mind would be whether or not I had enough money to eat. And like pacaholic stated, the possibilities are endless.

Flag Post

You’re assuming different types of immortality.

Flag Post

All i would have to do is show one person getting out of poverty to prove you wrong… J.K. Rowling… alright there you are wrong lol…

That’s fine. In general you can’t, your favourite heroes of all-time always can do something almost nobody else can. I wasn’t really intending my statement to be applicable for everyone any way. If you truly are dirt-poor, your family is dirt-poor and keeps you at home to work to live another day, and your government does crap to send out kids for free to school, there is nothing you can do to get out of it.

The latter paragraph doesn’t really apply, I’m aware you can eventually reach something as an immortal.