Can Communism Work?

594 posts

Flag Post

Discuss.

Flag Post

Communism works well in a small scale situation, but the second you apply it to a country it fails.

Flag Post

i recommend HG XD

Flag Post

Oh god, here we go again.

Flag Post

well, it would really work because im not going to say anymore about this because there is my HG topic already

Flag Post

Communism can only work on a tiny scale, or, a global scale, nothing in between.

Flag Post

Why?

Flag Post

Hail comrade, those are some nice shoes you’ve got there. Since we’re both communists, we need to distribute the wealth evenly. Thanks for the shoes. Oh hey, your house is nicer than mine, I’m going to need that too. And SAY! You’re wife is mighty pretty, equal distribution, right comrade?

Flag Post

Communism can only work on a tiny scale, or, a global scale, nothing in between.

I love capitalism without poor miserable people how do I know I’m wealthy and powerful.

Flag Post

Hail comrade, those are some nice shoes you’ve got there. Since we’re both communists, we need to distribute the wealth evenly. Thanks for the shoes. Oh hey, your house is nicer than mine, I’m going to need that too. And SAY! You’re wife is mighty pretty, equal distribution, right comrade?

That is not how communism works.

In idealistic communism, you don’t own anything, and at the same time, you own everything.

Flag Post

So if you don’t own it, you won’t mind if I take them? Communism assumes that humans lack greed. Which we don’t.

Flag Post

Communism works great in a world without anger, greed, violence, and lust. Generally any ‘pure’ political idea fails in reality.

Flag Post

That’s why Communism only works on paper.

Flag Post

Almost any political system would be obsolete in a world without anger, greed, violence, and lust.

Flag Post

Don`t forget envy.

Flag Post

Communism is great. Trying to find a leader that is infallible and safe from falling from innocence… and infallible citizens to go with with the system, is impossible.

Flag Post

So if you don’t own it, you won’t mind if I take them? Communism assumes that humans lack greed. Which we don’t.

Not necessarily. You wouldn’t want my shoes if you have shoes as well. What communism needs is a society that can produce many things very efficiently. There is no real reason for greed if you have access to anything you could want, even if it is communal.

For example, say you really liked pool. In a capitalist society, you would save up your money and buy a pool table to play pool with your friends. In a developed communist society, you would not own a pool table, you would just use a pool table owned by the community whenever you wanted to play pool.

I’m not saying communism is perfect, but it’s a lot more practical than people give it credit for.

Flag Post

In a capitalist system, if I wanted to play pool, I’d go to a pub.

Flag Post

Not necessarily. You wouldn’t want my shoes if you have shoes as well.

What if my shoes had a hole and yours didn’t? Or I just got tired of mine with it’s three specks of dirt and wanted yours with it’s 2 specks?

What communism needs is a society that can produce many things very efficiently.

Yet capitalism is the system that produces such things.

There is no real reason for greed if you have access to anything you could want, even if it is communal.

You can’t have access to everything you want unless others want it in such a system. Furthermore, most capitalist societies produce anything you could ever want.

In a capitalist society, you would save up your money and buy a pool table to play pool with your friends.

Or I can go to the pool hall down the street (and I live in a small town). We have plenty of community based things even in capitalist societies.

I’m not saying communism is perfect, but it’s a lot more practical than people give it credit for.

‘Practical communism’ tends to look a lot like ‘local capitalism’.

Flag Post

You could do that in a communist system as well.

Flag Post

in a perfect communist society, yes. However from what has happend in current and former communist societies… you would not be able to play pool because you couldn’t afford to.

Flag Post

You can’t have access to everything you want unless others want it in such a system.

Give a specific example. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just want more details on your point.

in a perfect communist society, yes. However from what has happend in current and former communist societies… you would not be able to play pool because you couldn’t afford to.

What China/the USSR did proves nothing. First of all, they were under the regime of corrupt, greedy, malicious leaders. Their goal was not a healthy society, but a powerful one. Second of all, they weren’t actually communist. There are McDonald’s in China. There was private property in the Soviet Union.

Flag Post

There’s been a lot of other countries with a communist economy than the USSR and China. And yes, that’s my point. They’re not perfect communist socities. They’ve all been corrupt.

Flag Post

.bq There’s been a lot of other countries with a communist economy than the USSR and China. And yes, that’s my point. They’re not perfect communist socities. They’ve all been corrupt.

Such as?

My point wasn’t just that they were corrupt, it’s that they didn’t even follow the basic principles that they were founded upon. It’s like a country that doesn’t hold elections calling themselves a democracy. That doesn’t prove that democracy is a corrupt concept.

Flag Post

Give a specific example. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just want more details on your point.

Basically just expanding on the theory that you cannot produce something efficiently unless you produce it en masse. So if only one person wants it, making it for them and them alone is inefficient. Unless you are saying arbitrary wants don’t factor in?