Gay Marriage page 5

3420 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheLoneLucas:

Why the heck would someone marry someone as cover, other than fear/taboos?

He wouldn’t. Spaghedeity asked and I gave an answer. A true answer.

Flag Post

Financial support. Are you even listening? Federal marriages and civil (state) unions do not confer the same rights (mainly financial).

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameCrazyKid:

Yes they do, just like anyone else they have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. If I wanted to marry someone the same sex of me I cannot do that same as them. We have equal rights.

No, you have the right to marry anyone you are attracted to. They do not have the right to marry anyone they are attracted to.

If we passed a law saying black people were not allowed in public buildings, we would still have the same rights. I would not be allowed to permit a black person to enter the building. You would not be allowed to permit a black person to enter the building. A black person would not be permitted to permit a black person to enter the building.

We all have equal rights. Fair to everyone – except the black people. But hey, fuck ‘em, right? So long as we all have the same rights, it doesn’t matter if those rights trample on the equal ability to express the feelings and commitments of a small segment of the population.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Yes they do, just like anyone else they have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. If I wanted to marry someone the same sex of me I cannot do that same as them. We have equal rights.

No, you have the right to marry anyone you are attracted to. They do not have the right to marry anyone they are attracted to.

If I were attracted to a man, no, I wouldn’t be. We have equal rights. We both have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex.

If we passed a law saying black people were not allowed in public buildings, we would still have the same rights. I would not be allowed to permit a black person to enter the building. You would not be allowed to permit a black person to enter the building. A black person would not be permitted to permit a black person to enter the building.

We all have equal rights. Fair to everyone – except the black people. But hey, fuck ‘em, right? So long as we all have the same rights, it doesn’t matter if those rights trample on the equal ability to express the feelings and commitments of a small segment of the population.

No, because now african americans are not allowed in buildings.

Flag Post

So you’re an advocate of segregation? A time not so long ago — about five decades to be precise — blacks and whites were both able to drink from water fountains, go to restaurants, order meals, ride the buses, gain an education, etc. So, what’s wrong in this picture? Why, in our right minds, would we possibly develop the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Flag Post
Gay couples have every right to be recognized as a ‘marriage’ under civil law; they just don’t have a right to force religions to recognize them civil unions as ‘marriage’ by that religion’s definition.

I think Christianity and Islam make up the majority of the human population. Probably well over even half.

Im not sure Christianity is very adamant on defining any one word like it is on Marriage. Why do they want to be married? It is and mostly has been for the past 2 millenium.

I see you missed how I framed that argument. I did not say ‘Christianity’ and ‘other faiths’ are against gay marriage, because that is patently false. All christians do not condemn gay marriage. All muslims do not condemn gay marriage. The anglican church of Canada, for example, not only tolerates it, but accepts a civil same-sex marriage as a Christian one.. As the link demonstrates, they are not the only church to do so, nor is Canada the only country where it is done.

So yes, Christians and other faiths probably do comprise the majority of US society, compared to those who register as ‘irreligious’. But just because they call themselves Christian doesn’t mean they support everything in the bible, and certainly not according to some slanted Christian conservative interpretation. When you break down the religious bloc into those who are actively against gay marriage versus those who are for it or simply don’t care either way, I suspect the anti-gays like yourself will comprise a percentage far lower than could be called ‘the majority of the population’. However, I don’t have a stat to back that up, it’s merely an educated guess.

Flag Post

If I were attracted to a man, no, I wouldn’t be. We have equal rights. We both have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex.

But if a white man was born black, he would have the exact same rights as a black man. Obviously, the rights are equal.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:
Gay couples have every right to be recognized as a ‘marriage’ under civil law; they just don’t have a right to force religions to recognize them civil unions as ‘marriage’ by that religion’s definition.

I think Christianity and Islam make up the majority of the human population. Probably well over even half.

Im not sure Christianity is very adamant on defining any one word like it is on Marriage. Why do they want to be married? It is and mostly has been for the past 2 millenium.

I see you missed how I framed that argument. I did not say ‘Christianity’ and ‘other faiths’ are against gay marriage, because that is patently false. All christians do not condemn gay marriage. All muslims do not condemn gay marriage. The anglican church of Canada, for example, not only tolerates it, but accepts a civil same-sex marriage as a Christian one.

The Bible disagrees, they are not Christians if they made an entire church that blatantly disregards a very very very straightforward bible verse.

Flag Post

Perhaps you should quote us that oh-so-simple verse. And then, well, I don’t have any stomach for it, but I’m sure one of these atheists hovering about would be happy to offer counter-quotes for any one of the dozens of biblical injunctions Christians are supposed to follow but don’t. Considering the breadth of bullshit in the bible, taking Christians to task for not following one law but ignoring a multitude of others is an idiotic argument.

Flag Post

Perhaps you should quote us that oh-so-simple verse. And then, well, I don’t have any stomach for it, but I’m sure one of these atheists hovering about would be happy to offer counter-quotes for any one of the dozens of biblical injunctions Christians are supposed to follow but don’t. It’s an idiotic argument, in point of fact.

“Marriage is between a man and a woman, for love and pro-creation. Any other definition is an abomination.”

Flag Post

I guess they should start killing everyone that works on the Sabbath then. Now, is that Saturday or Sunday..?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Spaghedeity:

I guess they should start killing everyone that works on the Sabbath then. Now, is that Saturday or Sunday..?

Sunday.

Flag Post

Right, so those who are attracted to someone of the same sex – a trait which they have no control over – are denied from marrying those they love.

Right, so those who have dark skin – a trait which they have no control over – are denied from entering public buildings.

Its still fair, because they may deny other blacks from entering public buildings, and they may enter private buildings. You may enter public buildings, because of your skin color and you may deny those with dark skin from doing so.

A homosexual because of their sexual orientation may not marry those they love. However, they may marry those they do not love. They have as much control over sexual orientation as they do their own skin color, so they are functionally identical.

You on the other hand, because of your sexual orientation, may marry those you love. Purely on the basis of gene expression.

So far, the two sound like the exact same thing. Functionally, they are the same thing. Everyone has the same right to deny a black from entering a public building, the same as everyone has the right to deny a woman marrying a woman. So, where’s the problem with either?

Flag Post

“Marriage is between a man and a woman, for love and pro-creation. Any other definition is an abomination.”

Does that mean that infertile people getting married is an abomination? Because they can’t procreate.

Flag Post

And what part of the bible does that quote come from? and what section? And what bible?

And while we’re at, just what sect of christianity do you belong to, anyway?

Flag Post

Sunday.

Pretty sure the Old Testament said the Sabbath is on Saturday. You don’t want to fuck with God in the Old Testament, man. He’s an angry prick.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Cammy_Justice:

Does that mean that infertile people getting married is an abomination? Because they can’t procreate.

Possibly, but really it is up to God to decide who has broken his rules, or if he will make an exception. I would assume he would for someone with a quite unfortunate disorder.

Flag Post

So if it’s up to God, why are you butting in?

Flag Post

And what part of the bible does that quote come from? and what section? And what bible?

And while we’re at, just what sect of christianity do you belong to, anyway?

Non-Denominational Christian.

Flag Post

Possibly, but really it is up to God to decide who has broken his rules, or if he will make an exception. I would assume he would for someone with a quite unfortunate disorder.

So why do you shun homosexuals, and advocate against their unions, when as you have just said, it is for God to decide who has broken his rules. Are you not telling God to get lost, you will do the judging now?

Flag Post

Wistful ignorance, I think — kind of why he’s ignoring my posts.

Flag Post

So if it’s up to God, why are you butting in?

So why do you shun homosexuals, and advocate against their unions, when as you have just said, it is for God to decide who has broken his rules. Are you not telling God to get lost, you will do the judging now?

Its not like I’m throwing rocks at gays shouting “SINNER!”

But that doesn’t exactly mean I want to let people do whatever the hell they want and let god deal with it.

Those who do not punish evil, demand it to be done. And while Im not saying gay marriage is inherently evil, I do believe it is wrong. And I will do every civil thing I can to stop it from being done.

Flag Post
But that doesn’t exactly mean I want to let people do whatever the hell they want and let god deal with it.

You’re presuming you know God’s will. Are you claiming to be omniscient? Pretty sure God frowns on that sort of thing.

Those who do not punish evil, demand it to be done. And while Im not saying gay marriage is inherently evil, I do believe it is wrong.

So why bring up Stock Quote #8?

Flag Post

Maybe you should be. After all is it not in the bible that you stone sinners? Divine writ trumps human law. Why not tell the government to go to hell, and follow the rules of the bible to the letter, carry out god’s law in all cases with equal fervor?

So again, you are telling God to piss off, and you will be the judge of what is moral and righteous, and what is not. Crazty is the supreme judge, not god. That is what you have written here, that you are not happy leaving it up to God to judge, you feel you have to instead.

Those who do not punish evil, demand it to be done. And while Im not saying gay marriage is inherently evil, I do believe it is wrong. And I will do every civil thing I can to stop it from being done.

So again, why are you not following the bible to the letter? Stone the gays, bash their skulls in and be done with it as the bible demands!

To do otherwise, sorry Crazy, but it doesn’t make you a Christian, it makes you a hypocrite, since you are picking and choosing which pieces of the bible you will follow, and which you are above.

Flag Post

Maybe you should be. After all is it not in the bible that you stone sinners? Divine writ trumps human law. Why not tell the government to go to hell, and follow the rules of the bible to the letter, carry out god’s law in all cases with equal fervor?

So again, you are telling God to piss off, and you will be the judge of what is moral and righteous, and what is not. Crazty is the supreme judge, not god. That is what you have written here, that you are not happy leaving it up to God to judge, you feel you have to instead.

So again, why are you not following the bible to the letter? Stone the gays, bash their skulls in and be done with it as the bible demands!

To do otherwise, orry Crazy, but it doesn’t mqake you a Christian, it makes you a hypocrite, since you are picking and choosing which pieces of the bible you will follow, and which you are above.

Why can I not take stoning sinners as a metaphor? If you look at the ethics of the time and how they relate to society now it would make plenty of sense.