Abortion

3075 posts

Flag Post

I am here to speak about yes, Abortion.

The argument for abortion seems to be something alone the lines of: “Its none of your business, it is the mother’s choice.”

And, while I have not actually talked about this topic that much, why is a fetus not legitimately considered a life? It is just in its early stage of development.

Secondly, if a woman didn’t want to have a baby, why was she having unprotected sex? (Yes, I realize the circumstances of rape can go against this but that doesn’t make it untrue. Because not all abortions are rape abortions. Most aren’t I would assume)

Do any of you SD’ers have a child? You probably don’t, but do you know someone with a small child? When you look at your child, or your friend’s child, would you find it easy to tell a doctor to kill it?

And, while it is always a choice in abortion does the baby have no say in it? Who knows who he could grow up to be!

Also, it isn’t like you have to keep the child if you legitimately aren’t ready to be a parent, there are adoption options. (No Rhyme Intended).

I haven’t thought heavily on the topic or else I would have more, but as for now that is my statement.

Flag Post

why was she having unprotected sex?

What if she was having protected sex, but the condom break? It happens.

Flag Post

1) How do you know if the fetus actually wants to be born? While silly, I find it equally silly to say that it must be born.

2) Sex ed, and you’ll have less unprotected sex. More methods of birth control that’s less noticable will likely help as well.

3) A fetus doesn’t know it exists. As such, it doesn’t care if it lives, or dies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartjat:

why was she having unprotected sex?

What if she was, but the condom break? It happens.

Still, having sex always runs the risk of getting pregnant. They should atleast be prepared for that rather than “Damn, I got pregnant. Lets get rid of it.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheLoneLucas:

1) How do you know if the fetus actually wants to be born? While silly, I find it equally silly to say that it must be born.

2) Sex ed, and you’ll have less unprotected sex. More methods of birth control that’s less noticable will likely help as well.

3) A fetus doesn’t know it exists. As such, it doesn’t care if it lives, or dies.

1. We don’t know. But thats a bold statement to assume the norm would be it doesnt want to be born.

2. How does this contribute to the discussion?

3. It doesn’t care or it can’t care. Thats like saying “Well if the baby didn’t want to be aborted it should have spoken up!” EDIT: And doesnt this contradict the first statement? Yes, yes it does.

Flag Post

Then, by that logic, no one would have sex.

Flag Post

Then, by that logic, no one would have sex.

Possibly. But I think many accidental pregnancies happen under the situation of statutory rape. (I.E. They were both under 18.)

Either way they should own up to what they have done instead of killing a child. (yes, its a child. A child is a child no matter how young it is.)

Flag Post

Oh yes, I have no possibilities to give my child a good life, so I’m just going to give her for adoption.

That’s probably what is going to happen to that child.

Flag Post

Oh yes, I have no possibilities to give my child a good life, so I’m just going to give her for adoption.

I’m sure many would agree having a life is better than not having one. (Unless you are suicidal or something)

Flag Post

I’m sure many would agree having a life is better than not having one.

If the child was adopted, 2 things could happen.

-Either she/he finds a good, caring family and lives a happy life, which is pretty rare.
-Or, she is adopted by people that don’t care about about him/her. And make her suffering everyday.

Sometimes, being dead is better than living in hell.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameCrazyKid:

1. We don’t know. But thats a bold statement to assume the norm would be it doesnt want to be born.

3. It doesn’t care or it can’t care. Thats like saying “Well if the baby didn’t want to be aborted it should have spoken up!” EDIT: And doesnt this contradict the first statement? Yes, yes it does.

1) I never said that the majority doesn’t want to be born.

2) You asked why people are having unprotected sex?

3) It can’t care, and it doesn’t matter, either way

Edit, no, it is not a child. It’s a fetus, by definition until it’s born, and some other things depending on the stages of development.

Flag Post

1) I never said that the majority doesn’t want to be born.

2) You asked why people are having unprotected sex?

3) It can’t care, and it doesn’t matter, either way

1. But you implied the norm would be not wanting to be born by questioning if they would really want to be anyways.

2. It was rhetorical.

3. So if your frontal lobe was disabled and you couldn’t have emotions and you couldn’t care. Would it be ok for us to kill you?

Flag Post

Edit, no, it is not a child. It’s a fetus, by definition until it’s born, and some other things depending on the stages of development.

You realize a baby is not that different when its born than how it was inside the womb a week before? Thats like saying we should consider magma and lava two different things because magma is still inside the volcano.

Flag Post

I’m sure many would agree having a life is better than not having one. (Unless you are suicidal or something)

Ahahahahaha no.

As death is not a state of existence but a lack of existence, you are not around to either appreciate it or to hate it. You’re simply not around at all. To compare the quality of being dead to the quality of being alive is just absurd.

Flag Post
Originally posted by iMachine:

Ahahahahaha no.

As death is not a state of existence but a lack of existence, you are not around to either appreciate it or to hate it. You’re simply not around at all. To compare the quality of being dead to the quality of being alive is just absurd.

Existence is better than lack of existence. There. Same thing.

Flag Post

No, it isn’t.

You won’t experience the fact that it sucks, nor will you experience that it’s decent at times.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MadJedi:

Abortion should be the choice of the woman as she will be the one to endure nine months of gestation followed by birth giving. A foetus cannot think and therefore is not even aware of its own existence. Its brain is simply not developed enough at this period of development to be aware of the world.

So if a really slutty girl goes and gets pregnant, we have to destroy a life so she can continue hers?

I mean really now, its own awareness of its existence aside that doesnt make it Ok. If I were not aware that I existed, you can now kill me? And have you asked a fetus if it is aware of its existence?

Flag Post

No, it isn’t.

You won’t experience the fact that it sucks, nor will you experience that it’s decent at times.

Just because you are a lonely pessimist does not mean given the choice everyone would choose lack of existence.

Flag Post

Abortion should be the choice of the mother as she will be the one to endure nine months of gestation followed by birth giving. A foetus cannot think and therefore is not even aware of its own existence. Its brain is simply not developed enough at this period of development to be aware of the world.

You cannot wish for something you never knew of. Killing a foetus isn’t least ethical than killing any other lifeforms.

Flag Post

No, it isn’t.

Just because you are a lonely pessimist does not mean given the choice everyone would choose lack of existence.

You don’t have to be a lonely pessimist to realize that you won’t miss existing if you don’t exist. All it requires is a little though. And I mean little.

Flag Post

No, it isn’t.

Nor would everyone choose existence.

If you haven’t ever existed, you don’t know wether or not life sucks or not, nor will you have any of those pesky social ties preventing you from fixing that.

Flag Post

And, while I have not actually talked about this topic that much, why is a fetus not legitimately considered a life? It is just in its early stage of development.

“Life” isn’t relevant. I drop plenty of “life” in the toilet bowl, with human DNA in it even, yet no one sheds a tear. It isn’t important, in any case.

Secondly, if a woman didn’t want to have a baby, why was she having unprotected sex? (Yes, I realize the circumstances of rape can go against this but that doesn’t make it untrue. Because not all abortions are rape abortions. Most aren’t I would assume)

There’s an easy way to see if a woman wants to have a baby, ask her. If no, abortion is a solution. Condoms break, circumstances change, bad decisions are made. Having sex is a strong biological imperative, easy to give into.

Also, it isn’t like you have to keep the child if you legitimately aren’t ready to be a parent, there are adoption options. (No Rhyme Intended).

There are, but those other options require you to suffer through the pregnancy, which is itself a severe financial, medical and social problem.

The real question that matters. Do you think you have a right to force a woman to go through pregnancy and childbirth?

Flag Post
And have you asked a fetus if it is aware of its existence?

Yes.

Its existence begins when the brain forms, and connects to the central nervous system. When the first proto-thoughts begin to work, and the first sensations of the outside world are felt. Before it has any sense of the outside world, it has no awareness of self. Before it has thought it has no consciousness, no mind there at all.

This formation starts at the very earliest in week six of the pregnancy, and really gets going around week ten. Before this point, there is no being there at all.

For those who believe in souls, there is no container there to capture a soul, before the neural net starts to form at week 10. So before this point, there is not going to be any dissension, because there is not anyone there at all.

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/9-serious-discussion/topics/38261-directory-of-existing-threads
Press PAGE DOWN three times.

Flag Post

Everyone knows a fetus is alive. Nobody is arguing that, and if they are they should be excluded from the conversation for being fucking retarded. The question is whether or not a fetus is a person and if it deserves the full rights of a person.