Feminism and Sexual Equality page 11

353 posts

Flag Post

Glados…
Misogynists Anonymous

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:
Originally posted by DarkBaron:

Or women have gained while men stayed stagnant. I’m serious, just read the book if this if a difficult stance to understand.

men are evolving and women devolving.
theyre gaining power, but misuse it in their hate campaigns.
thats the reason why they are not usually put on boards.
they are reckless

Glados…
Misogynists Anonymous

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:
Originally posted by DarkBaron:

Or women have gained while men stayed stagnant. I’m serious, just read the book if this if a difficult stance to understand.

men are evolving and women devolving.
theyre gaining power, but misuse it in their hate campaigns.
thats the reason why they are not usually put on boards.
they are reckless

Same could be said about black people based on the Society of Black Lawyers (and others) actions
And Christians based on the Westboro Baptists Church (and others) actions
And Muslims based on al-Qaeda (and others) actions
And everyone who believes in Animal Rights based on PETA (and others) actions
etc etc etc
Just saying that judging an entire people or gender based on the actions of it’s activists is stupid. I thought you liked to try and be cold and logical, using a small sample size to judge a population is not logical

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aerilia:

Simply Google: Women vs. Men on pain threshold
Since YOU want to challenge the statement,,,
why don’t ya simply AND EASILY go find something that does?
Here is one link

I’m looking for scientific studies, not a glorified blog or a web search. Here is evidence to support my claims:

Pain Tolerance: Differences According to Age, Sex, and Race
Differences between the sexes in post-surgical pain
Sex differences and hormonal influences on response to cold pressor pain in humans.

If you want an article to support your weak claim, I’ll give you one to be nice:

Altering gender role expectations: effects on pain tolerance, pain threshold, and pain ratings

Flag Post
Originally posted by Nokkenbuer:

I’m looking for scientific studies, not a glorified blog or a web search.

Good luck with that. Peer reviewed papers aren’t usually considered valid sources in SD. Incredibly stupid I do realise, but most here are not going to bother to read anything ‘challenging’, and if it’s behind a pay-wall, it’ll usually be dismissed out of hand.

When I was new to SD, I hit the same problem, trying to use papers published in Nature Neuroscience and Science to justify my claims. I also tried copying excerpts from books I own, but all three got shot down because not everyone owns those books, or subscribes to the journals.

Hence the ‘glorified blogs’ that are the mainstay of SD. Everyone can access the full text for themselves without paying. So long as they can reference their sources, that has to be enough.

Open access journals might be an exception to the rule, but even if you link to a Plos One paper for example, expect most of your opposition to discard it, because it sounds too long winded – even an abstract, as near-useless as that is, is too much for a majority of posters here to deal with.

Flag Post

Simply Google: Women vs. Men on pain threshold
Since YOU want to challenge the statement,,,
why don’t ya simply AND EASILY go find something that does?
Here is one link

I’m looking for scientific studies, not a glorified blog or a web search. Here is evidence to support my claims:

Pain Tolerance: Differences According to Age, Sex, and Race
Differences between the sexes in post-surgical pain
Sex differences and hormonal influences on response to cold pressor pain in humans.

If you want an article to support your weak claim, I’ll give you one to be nice:

Altering gender role expectations: effects on pain tolerance, pain threshold, and pain ratings

Whoooooa there, bucko…
cool yer jets.
And, there’s no need at all to be “nice”,,,
esp. to ME.

I’m NOT making any “claim” at all.
Just simply stating that if ya TRULY desire pertinent info/data….
it is “out there” & easily accessed…
all by ones own little ol’ self.

Flag Post

Karma, you know as well as anyone here, that if someone makes an outlandish claim, it is their job to provide evidence or reasoning to back that claim up.

It is not an acceptable tactic to tell the other party you’re not going to bother to provide any backup for your argument, and they can go do it themselves. You know this. You lambast Jhco for the same tactic often enough.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Karma, you know as well as anyone here, that if someone makes an outlandish claim, it is their job to provide evidence or reasoning to back that claim up.

It is not an acceptable tactic to tell the other party you’re not going to bother to provide any backup for your argument, and they can go do it themselves. You know this. You lambast Jhco for the same tactic often enough.

Whooooa, Nelly.
What the fuck is the matter w/ YOU today?
What the fuck is this “their JOB shit?

What I do know is that we loooooong ago distanced ourself from such “rigid rules” as those of a debate format. I sure as fuck didn’t sign some form of a contract that obligated me to back up everything I might toss up on this forum…..even if “asked”. I owe NOBODY anything.

What I do know is that NO OUTLANDISH CLAIM was made:

actually women have a higher pain threshold, guys are just taught not to let their pain show.

Care to provide a citation for that?

No one…I SAY, NO ONE, said anything at all about NOT BACKING UP THAT CLAIM,,,
certainly NOT I.

Holy fucking shit, vika…..IT WAS A FUCKING-ASS S U G G E S T I O N.
So, NOW ya wanna dig into MY shit…eh?
Over such petty crap?
Fine!

As far as jhco goes,,,,
he simply merits being “lambasted”….
much like a baby’s diaper needs to be changed.

Flag Post

Aerila made the claim that women have a higher pain threshold than men. That was outlandish. So she was asked to back it up, what is wrong with that?

If you don’t feel there’s any need to back up your arguments, why do you bother to still include links in your own? Would it not be more logical to tell all the other posters to piss off and find the evidence to prove your claims their own damn selves?

Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

As far as jhco goes,,,,

No Karma, you do not go after another poster simply because of who they are. Harassment of another user was never a valid debate tactic. What you do is deconstruct their argument. If you cannot understand that today, then perhaps you should step back and cool off? It is a central rule of this forum that you go after the argument, not sink your teeth into the jugular of the poster.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Aerila made the claim that women have a higher pain threshold than men. That was outlandish. So she was asked to back it up, what is wrong with that?

YOU may see what she said as a “claim”…whatever.
Perhaps she meant is as MERELY A FUCKING O P I N I O N.
Gud-gawd, lighten-the-fuck-up already.
We’re just having DISCUSSION here.
If you don’t feel there’s any need to back up your arguments, why do you bother to still include links in your own?

Obviously ya now have some kind of “ax” to now grind w/ me.
I know YOU are much smarter than to confuse NEED w/ a desire, an interest, etc.
If someone CARES TO support their OPINION,,,
THAT should be up to them

HOWEVER, this does NOT mean that I hold that to void any criticism of said opinion.
This would include any criticism merited because of such lack of support….
DUH.

Would it not be more logical to tell all the other posters to piss off and find the evidence to prove your claims their own damn selves?

Kinda going a little overboard…aren’t we?

Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

As far as jhco goes,,,,

No Karma, you do not go after another poster simply because of who they are. Harassment of another user was never a valid debate tactic. What you do is deconstruct their argument. If you cannot understand that today, then perhaps you should step back and cool off? It is a central rule of this forum that you go after the argument, not sink your teeth into the jugular of the poster.

Oh, what the fuck are YOU doing today?
Anyone here in their right mind is wondering why YOU all of a sudden are holding up such an attitude when YOU ARE ONE OF THE BIGGEST OFFENDERS….esp. (and mainly) toward jhco.
Maybe it is YOU should “step back” and have a look in a mirror….eh?

It even says in your own post the person I was addressing. I’m not even talking to you.

NOW, what is it w/ YOU?
Do YOU not understand that if ya throw it up on the forum…
it is “up for grabs”….anyone can make comment & respond to it?
If YOU want to speak ONLY to someone….go to their shouts or whispers.

Flag Post

Since you cannot refrain from personal attacks in your argument, I will repeat my stances, that disagree with yours, help you focus a little:

1. I disagree with the comment you made that the person making the claim does not need to supply any evidence to back it up. You actually told the person she was arguing with that they were lazy for not supplying the material for her. That approach is simply flat out wrong. She made the claim, she provides the evidence.

2. I attack the argument, you attack and harass the poster directly. As you said above, you go after Jhco precisely because he is Jhco. You don’t care what argument he makes; its him you go after. Penalising another user for using Kongregate, and going after them directly, is not just against the rules of SD, it is against the rules of the site, Karma.

My stance is firmly against that behavior.

You’ll notice I haven’t argued with Jhco in quite a while. This would be because he hasn’t managed to put forth an argument worth a damn. So there’s nothing for me to argue against.

Please try and address my actual arguments this time, instead of any perceived character flaws you see with me.

Flag Post

Apparently, my above posts were removed by a moderator, despite how they aren’t necessarily all that bad.

For anyone curious, I was just telling Karma that I was not talking to him and that his responses to me were uncalled for. I also used a couple pejoratives, which may be the reason for their removal.

Flag Post

I think issendorf’s point was just proved, sad that whole argument with one poster attacking another personally is still here but the post commenting on the fact is apparently worthy of deletion

and now after the topic was derailed this (below) is the quality of debate we have left to ‘debate’

Originally posted by cesarcurado:

No, while men run the world, women stay in the kitchen making us, the great and honorable men, sandwiches.

Flag Post

equality is totally sexist, women need to have priviliges because of the opression from the past

Flag Post
Originally posted by kevinmitnick:

equality is totally sexist, women need to have privileges because of the oppression from the past

kevinmitnick, YOUR heart appears to be in the right place.
However, I want to make a few things a little clearer for ya.

sexists
1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender

And, yes…women (among many others) have been oppressed in the past.
BUT, that in itself isn’t the reason they should have “privileges”.
Women HAVE ALWYAS HAD these RIGHTS.
Oppression
1.Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control.
2.The state of being subject to such treatment or control.

Finally, there is a huge difference betwenn rights & privileges.

Flag Post

Depends what you are talking about. In reality i.e. job pay – no. But should we be? I think yes. I believe men and women are equal in the way that we are all human beings, we all have basic rights and should be treated with respect and dignity and one gender doesnt have more power than another. But I do believe some aspects we are no equal. for example as a woman I can lift some things because generally woman are less muscular than men, so men can do some things better, but that does not make us un equal genders.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Megaladapis:

Depends what you are talking about. In reality i.e. job pay – no. But should we be? I think yes. I believe men and women are equal in the way that we are all human beings, we all have basic rights and should be treated with respect and dignity and one gender doesnt have more power than another. But I do believe some aspects we are no equal. for example as a woman I can lift some things because generally woman are less muscular than men, so men can do some things better, but that does not make us un equal genders.

rights come with levels of competency.
we are not the same just because we are all human beings. we are physically and mentally different.

some companies do reward men with higher payment, but only because they are more valuable(like you said – physically better for the position) . <labor jobs and such

at this moment in time, women have the mentality of an infant, and it raises the question as to whether they should even be allowed to vote anymore.

Flag Post

at this moment in time, women have the mentality of an infant,

[citation needed]