World without Religion: Better or Worse?

656 posts

Flag Post

If we didn’t have a belief system, if we didn’t believe in a god, or a goddess, or many deities, would the world be better?
If we all knew science, and not beliefs, if we knew it had to be proven to be true, would that make life worse?

I think there is more good things then bad, but how do you feel about the subject? In my view, it is two sides of a coin:

Heads
1. Everyone works hard on science, thus improving technology.
2. No religion means no Jewish people or Nazi people, so no World War?
3. Everyone knows the same thing, and thinks that it has to be proven to be true, everyone agrees.

Tails
1.People rely on religion, as their way out, something to believe in, that when they die they just don’t get buried in the Earth. Suicide?
2.People can’t express themselves through religion anymore, so another door just closed, they can only express themselves through art or music, ect.
3.Nothing to be hopeful for, no one to need to thank/pray to/trust, no one to hold them back, no Heaven, no Hell, more crimes being commited due to lack of someone they feel they need to please.

But, how do you feel about the situation? Would you like for there to be no religion, or do you think religion is the only thing preventing wars and killing?

Flag Post

Nothing to be hopeful for if you’re an atheist? That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever read.

Hopes =/= beliefs. I can hope I win the lottery, but that means jack dick. If I lose, I lose. However, if I seriously believe I won the lottery (and I didn’t), I’d be borderline insane.

Flag Post

I dunno. I’d prefer it with religion, although your reasons are flawed.

Flag Post

Oh boy. I’m getting a lot of ideas. But it’s late. Sorry if my post won’t be all that well structured and thought through.

I think that pluralism is essential for a working society. First of all many different influences and points of view to look at a problem means that you will be less likely to limit your own perception. You will have to take the other solutions in account as well to really find the best way to deal with a problem. Sometimes there is a definitive best solution, but most of the time there simply isn’t. If you can only look at a situation one way you will not be able to find a way to deal with it. And sometimes even the most unscientific solutions will be the best for certain people. Religion can give people hope who cannot cope with answers like I “don’t know”, or “I cannot know” to questions that really move them in a given situation. That’s the most important point about religion today in my opinion.
An other one would be that without religious views science as we know it would probably not exist. A little background to that theory of mine: essentially we are all naive scientists. We see the world and what happens in it and when we examine things we immediately go: “I wonder how this works…” And from there on we form first hypotheses and look for clues and try to find a solution that makes sense to us. Basically science and religion have the same root in this natural curiosity of ours. Science is just a more optimised form to ensure that we are less likely to make wrong conclusions. If we weren’t able to have religious views there’s a high chance that science would not be possible for us either.

On the bad side you can always come up with extremism, but extreme movements exist everywhere. (Close call! Nearly made a Third Reich comparison here… Can’t think of something different… Screw it.) Some people under Hitler were essentially scientists. They tested how certain influences effected certain people. As it happens these people were Jews, the situation was high air pressure and the effect was death. Terribly unethical, but definitely scientific, though driven by a certain ideology.

(I might edit this post tomorrow to add a few points… Or not…)

Would the world be better without religion? I honestly don’t think so. There are enough other reasons to wage war, spread misinformation or make irrational decisions. Religion cannot account for all of them. On the contrary, it actually has quite a bunch of good points. It offers answers were science can’t say anything, it even covers areas that are 100% unreachable for science. It can give people hope in difficult situations and help to form working societies (note how I said can. The world is a colourful place. Nothing is strictly black and white.). I am absolutely sure that this world wouldn’t be anything as we know it without religion. How it would be different? I don’t know. But I really don’t think that we would be better off, especially if this world would have developed similar to how it is now.

Flag Post

Obviously better without

Flag Post

The ethnicity would still exist. Even supposing there were no Jews, the Nazis would have just scapegoated someone else, and indeed many other minorities were killed and persecuted alongside Jews. Even leaving that bit out, WW2 would have happened regardless because the Nazis were determined to expand their territory and the Allies were determined to prevent them. The Holocaust was never important to the war effort until after it was over.

Alot of these pros and cons seem like very silly reasons, but others have already pointed them out.

think that pluralism is essential for a working society.

+1

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrRubix:

Obviously better without

And no proof stating why.

I think that the world is fine the way it is, really. A world without religion might be completely different, in a bad way, same as being in a good way. There’s no knowing what it would be like. Time for some reasons. Obviously, in Chirstianity and Judaism, stealing and killing are prohibited in society, which can completely go against some rules of survival. But then again, that might just make sense so there is society. This goes for every government law that is also a religious law. Again, laws like no stealing or killing are found in both types of law. They might have (and most likely have) enforced each other into what the law of the land is today, through learning from mistakes AND religious moralities.

TL;DR: Nobody can be absolutely sure whether government laws were born out of religious laws, vise versa, or if they had no corelation in the beginning. Its just that what we have today is a mixture of the two, and that is that.

Flag Post

TL;DR: Nobody can be absolutely sure whether government laws were born out of religious laws, vise versa, or if they had no corelation in the beginning. Its just that what we have today is a mixture of the two, and that is that.

Sure we can. Look into the history and figure it out. It’s especially easy with modern states like the US or Canada.

Flag Post

The world without religion is a world with only one religion…
Which is not healthy…. Think about heaven as a reward where everything is for and about one God.

Flag Post

The reasons are more then flawed. Especially Heads 3 make no sense at all. Religion means that you believe in your holy book or whatever your religion is about and everybody has to agree with it. Without religion everything may be questioned and this normally means a lot of troubles, revolution and what not. “Because it’s written in this book” is an argument that can glue the societies together, but also prevent them from developing.

Flag Post

If unquestionable faith is the only thing holding a society together, maybe the society has no right to exist.

Flag Post

The OP and several posters have a limited scope of this idea. There isn’t a magical “no religion, no worries” button in that it’s the entire cause of crap. One may believe religion causes bad people, but bad people exist any way. “Religion” is a very broad concept. It is impossible to remove, as it is hardwired in the human species. Makes it borderline useless to discuss. I could start a thread on “what if we didn’t have killers? Would we have a safer world?”. Sure. It just doesn’t make sense to discuss that.

Plus, religion needs to be changed, not removed. If you can accept an ideal world in which religion can be removed, then you can accept an ideal world in which religion causes nothing but good things.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Frostbringer:

Without religion everything may be questioned

I don’t understand that specific point. Could you explain it, please?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gastly101:

If we didn’t have a belief system, if we didn’t believe in a god, or a goddess, or many deities, would the world be better?
If we all knew science, and not beliefs, if we knew it had to be proven to be true, would that make life worse?

I think there is more good things then bad, but how do you feel about the subject? In my view, it is two sides of a coin:

Heads
3. Everyone knows the same thing, and thinks that it has to be proven to be true, everyone agrees.

Tails
1.People rely on religion, as their way out, something to believe in, that when they die they just don’t get buried in the Earth. Suicide?
2.People can’t express themselves through religion anymore, so another door just closed, they can only express themselves through art or music, ect.
3.Nothing to be hopeful for, no one to need to thank/pray to/trust, no one to hold them back, no Heaven, no Hell, more crimes being commited due to lack of someone they feel they need to please.

But, how do you feel about the situation? Would you like for there to be no religion, or do you think religion is the only thing preventing wars and killing?

2 and 3 are clearly fallacies. Jewish people may not exist, but the Nazi ideology wasnt based in religion at all, and they didnt killed Jews exclusevly, ya know… As for 3, different people have different ways to perceive the world, religious or not. Otherwise, you wouldnt see atheists disagreeing with eachother.

So, overral, I prefer a world with religion…

Originally posted by Aneslayer:

The world without religion is a world with only one religion…
Which is not healthy…. Think about heaven as a reward where everything is for and about one God.

Not really. Atheism is as much of a religion as bald is a color of hair.

Flag Post

Religion is a lot like your grandpa. It had its purpose many years ago. It guided us, helped mold us and gave us silly answers to our silly questions, but now it needs to stop being so god damned selfish and die already.

Flag Post

Don’t forget perverted.

Flag Post

i think that a real man can take its decisions.. that religions exist or not.

p.s and face the consequences…

Flag Post

Or face what consequences? Are you, Knifegrinder, suggesting that if we do not believe in Yahweh, that we’ll burn in Hell?

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again

Mathew 7:1, 7:2.

Leave the judging to your deity, judger.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheKnifeGrinder:

It may be a language thing, but I have no idea how that post is related to the topic of this thread.

Flag Post

We don’t need religion, what we need is people who believe in deities to be true to their faith. I look at the Vatican and most Catholic churches and see riches beyond measure, I look at my church and see a building we rent and just make the money needed to keep it because we give so much to those who live and pray in the dirt… does anyone else see a problem here?
And to you atheists who bash us Christians for our foolish beliefs of helping those in need, what have you done to make this world a better place? Do you simply put us down so that we feel bad and you can feel better of yourself? Who cares about who is right or wrong! Let’s just fix this awful world we live in!
I am not speaking to everyone here, only those who simply bash the faithful just for disagreeing. Do the world a favor and help us out!
Yes religion has started wars, but so have the unfaithful. War and conflict is a human error, not a religious one. There are ways of settling conflict without bloodshed.
To your first statement “1. Everyone works hard on science, thus improving technology.” I am studying computer engineering, I have studied deep into physics and chemistry, I want to move forward technologically more than you can imagine. I also believe in God and am very firm in my belief. Not all Christians want to live in the past, I want to live in the future. We do not know when Jesus will return, God gave us this vast universe full of galaxies and planets and opportunity, perhaps He wants us to go out and see what He made before He comes back. Who knows. Your list is flawed but I understand what you are getting at. I would prefer a world of faithful and faithless, friendly debate is not a bad thing and it can actually lead to good things and make people stronger and help them learn. Believe what you want, just try not to hurt anyone and help those who are unfortunate. God bless and keep smiling =)

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkBaron:

Or face what consequences? Are you, Knifegrinder, suggesting that if we do not believe in Yahweh, that we’ll burn in Hell?

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again

Mathew 7:1, 7:2.

Leave the judging to your deity, judger.

no i meant that if you kill, the cops will kill you lol if ya know what i mean..

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Most religions preach love, compassion, and peace (although a few of its members may not accurately portray this), thus, I think it is appropriate for religion, for the most part, to continue to exist.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheKnifeGrinder:

no i meant that if you kill, the cops will kill you lol if ya know what i mean..

I’m dying to know. How, exactly, do you imply killing from this vague statement about decisions that religion exists, buddy?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ArcheeBunker:
Originally posted by Gastly101:

Heads

Tails

Heads 2: There will always be fighting and war, though religion has claimed more lives in crusades and everything, but there will always be something to kill each other about.
Heads 3: There would still be things that people ponder but do not have the means to correctly answer at the time, so there would still be disagreement.

Tails 1: I am sure suicide has always existed and always will, regardless of it being considered an instant-out for blissful religious after lives.
Tails 2: How exactly do people “express themselves” through religion?
Tails 3: Being that humans existed long before religion and did not manage to kill themselves off, I am sure there is morality without religion.

Not sure about expressing ourselves throught religion, but I actually DO believe that, considering how many books and movies have religion as its theme, arts DO would be a bit poorest…
ASfor 3, I think you underestimate the age of religion… While it is impossible to stabilish a exact date, I am pretty sure that, since the first time a human being saw a storm, couldnt think in a rational explanation, and created a fantasious explanation, there was religion. So, religion is, while not as old as mankind, much, much older then civilization as we know it.