Do you know any video game for blind people ? page 3

103 posts

Flag Post

sleepallnight > it sounds great !

Actually, at the moment I’m hadding sounds when you’re walking. If you walk on grass, it goes “cra cra cra”, if you walk on stone “bum bum bum”, if you walk on water it goes “plouf”, if you go on sans it does a sand like sounds ^^.

In Magdales, i made two kinds of sounds : those which need translations, and those which doesn’t. If needed, voice can then be translated in any language.

kéké

Flag Post

I dont think blind people play onlin games but good idea

Flag Post

elsid >>> I dont think blind people play onlin games

Elsid, what make you think that ?

Kéké

Flag Post
Originally posted by magdales:

sleepallnight > it sounds great !

Actually, at the moment I’m hadding sounds when you’re walking. If you walk on grass, it goes “cra cra cra”, if you walk on stone “bum bum bum”, if you walk on water it goes “plouf”, if you go on sans it does a sand like sounds ^^.

In Magdales, i made two kinds of sounds : those which need translations, and those which doesn’t. If needed, voice can then be translated in any language.

kéké

thank you, if it were multiplayer, then your chat would produce a voice, you can warn others like, hey I can’t move. I hear the stars from here. And your avatar would be the kind of voice you have, some could have trollish kind of voices some could have big heavy voices etc.
Some people wouldn’t be able to listen to any stars, that means it is far far away, they’d rely on others to find the star.

But you need a sense of touch and feel, you can achieve this by the program telling you it feels squishy, your body is bleeding, *you can’t breathe 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3… you got killed, please re-enter". And these noices could only be heard by you. So if you’re dying you can shout help, and others could grab you and pull you away from that spot.

Flag Post

Hi… I like the idea of different kind of voice depending the species you play.
There is some visual distinctions in the actual game : the on/off sound is a hear. If you play a human, it is human hear. if you play an elf, it is an elfish hear …
The same thing appear in the personnal logs. If you play a dwarf, there is a dwarf picture.

I didn’t thought about differents sounds .. (trollish voice, elf voice) but, this could be great … The trouble is, that I still have to found as many sound as species you can play.

kéké

Flag Post

How exactly are you planning to pull this off?

Flag Post

I’m sure they could combine sound with different shaking or rumbling to make the game work.
EDIT: Just remembered I already posted…

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Hi Vegeta ^^.

Magdales is unavailable for 2 days. We are making a Reset (as we use to do when the game is won).
The game should be avalaible in a couple of days.

Have fun !

Flag Post

Interesting subject. I never thought video games for blind people existed. Apparently there are a few out there. Found this one being built: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1636225881/sound-challenge

Flag Post

Hi !

In france, those would never work :
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1636225881/sound-challenge
French people are not used to pay to start a new project… mostly they don’t want to pay at all.

Good news in our Magdales game.
50% of the game has been translated in English tongue. So, if you wish to play, you may try ^^
http://www.magdales.com
By the way new part of the game had been deployed last week. You can now (in a accessible way) transform some stick into arrows … and some others transformations.

Kéké

Flag Post

JackM30 > why do you put those message ?
Is the idea of “video-game for blind people” means something strange to you ?
If so, you can ask google to see what the world is. For example :
http://www.nowhereelse.fr/aveugle-jeux-video-44643/

kéké

Flag Post

Thank you administrator or moderator ^^.

Flag Post

Magdales team wish you a Happy New year 2013 !!!

Flag Post

I can see a turnbased RPG i geuss. I would play it

Flag Post
Originally posted by magdales:

Magdales team wish you a Happy New year 2013 !!!

Really. You bumped your own thread that was several months not responded to just to say happy New Year?

Flag Post

To Yiu113 :
Hi,

I could have said that 48% of our database has been transcripted into Shaekspear tongue, but i was waiting for a more psychological 50% before any notification.
I could have said that the game has really improve during the last 10 years and that would have been true.
I could have sait that 30789 players has already join the game (french hour is 20h42 on 03/01/2013)…

But that’s not how i feel it. I’m not very found with “announcement effect”. I really prefer the normal way … meaning saying hi at the beginning of every message, say happy new year when it’s time to, or giving new of my game when I had news that can do the trick.
There are some news, but those are not yet translated in english, so you may not use them properly.

Have good night !
Kéké

Flag Post

btw, I’m just randomly saying this, I am making music for the deaf. Does anyone else have any ideas of what other music has been made for the deaf?
… no other music?? Jeez, I wonder why, it’s almost like the deaf can’t hear it or something…

Flag Post

There is a lot of music for deaf people.
Well, ok. Not really for deaf people specifically, but anything with a powerful beat or bass will give off enough vibrations for deaf people to feel it.

Flag Post

I guess, but that can easily be replaced by any viberating object. In the same way, a video game for the blind can be replaced by interactive audio stories. There is no video to enjoy, only audio. So in a sense, much like I cant create music for the deaf, I cant create “video” games for the blind. But I could create a viberation machine for the deaf and an interactive audio story for the blind.

Flag Post

With music it’s the concept that makes the difference. Music means emotion, telling stories, dancing, having a good time… Try that with a vibration machine. I guess, video games are similar in nature.
Overgrowth has a mod that features some experimental tools for blind users by translating the 3D landscape into audio cues. I can’t imagine anyone really playing with them, since they are really basic and from what I experienced a bit imprecise, but it’s a start.

Of course, literally it is probably not possible to make a game for blind people.

IMMEDIATE EDIT: Or is it?
If they are blind due to eye injuries it might actually be possible to make a video game for blind people. All you’d need is to hook up the brain to the game and stimulate it in a way that results in the regions that are responsible for vision to react in the same way they would if they had to deal with the stimuli that virtual landscape would create.

Flag Post

I suppose, But that would mean hooking up the machine directly to the brain, which would be messy, dangerous and highly dis-approved.
Also, if you cannot hear the music, how do you know of the emotion and stories? All you feel is the vibration; same difference with a vibration machine.

Flag Post

There is a lot I could add to this, so much misinformation about accessibility tech, its giving me a migraine, to read it all.

However, I would like to drop this little fact into the conversation first, as everyone seems to have overlooked it:

Most people who are considered to be blind, still retain some sight. It is an umbrella term for severe loss of vision, not necessarily for total loss.

So, for a video game to work for the blind, it does not have to be sound based only. But by using binaural sound one can create an environment in which the sounds are the primary conveyor of information, and the visuals are secondary. Think of an FPS in a completely open, dark room. You can see shadows moving if they are close enough but that is all. Bullets have mass and are affected by gravity. The sound of your gun firing can be heard from across the room – and thanks to binaural sound, pinpointed by your ears. Your footsteps can be heard. If you are running out of stamina, your breathing becomes more audible.

Just two players in that space would be enough to make it interesting. Your objective: to kill the enemy you can rarely see. No obstacles, no obstructions, just the darkness, the noise you make, and the noise they make.

Whose ears are better? Dare you fire in case you are wrong, and the gunshot gives away your position like a beacon? Are they creeping up behind you to stab you in the back? Is that breathing coming from behind you?