Do you know any video game for blind people ? page 4

103 posts

Flag Post

oh thank you VIkaTae … i also get an headacke reading all those.
Doom was on of the first personal shooter in 1993 … But it was also realease for blind peolple in 2001 : http://www.gmagames.com/sod.html

Music for deaf, si not very popular has you may imagine, but, deaf people still go in party dancing with rythm thanks to the … boom boom speaker that can be “feeled” within all the body.
In fact, I had seen a movie called “The dancer” where a very pretty girl was having the dream of dancing, despite her deaf handicap :
http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=24849.html

But, this is less my subject, as the deaf “problem” in Magdales has been solved with Text replacing all the sounds of the game.
VikaTae > A lot of game already exist where blind peolple can play alone, or VS other blind people.
Magdales idea is more to take out as much as possible the handicap, and let people play together, without knowing once handicap. Most of my player are “regular” users (like 4/5 of the players).
On the other hands, graphical interface + cinematic + clic & drop has to be refactoried or at list, set with alternative use…
One sample among any others (can be seen without beeing connected, but it is not tranlated in english yet ! Sorry) : Fighting result can be both been seen with dynamic HTML 5 picture + everything beeing transcripted for blind people beneth :
http://www.magdales.com/i_voir_combat.php?acteur=10516&date=1357673298&cle_combat=32677251036&ligne_protagoniste=0

kéké

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

There is a lot I could add to this, so much misinformation about accessibility tech, its giving me a migraine, to read it all.

However, I would like to drop this little fact into the conversation first, as everyone seems to have overlooked it:

Most people who are considered to be blind, still retain some sight. It is an umbrella term for severe loss of vision, not necessarily for total loss.

So, for a video game to work for the blind, it does not have to be sound based only. But by using binaural sound one can create an environment in which the sounds are the primary conveyor of information, and the visuals are secondary. Think of an FPS in a completely open, dark room. You can see shadows moving if they are close enough but that is all. Bullets have mass and are affected by gravity. The sound of your gun firing can be heard from across the room – and thanks to binaural sound, pinpointed by your ears. Your footsteps can be heard. If you are running out of stamina, your breathing becomes more audible.

Just two players in that space would be enough to make it interesting. Your objective: to kill the enemy you can rarely see. No obstacles, no obstructions, just the darkness, the noise you make, and the noise they make.

Whose ears are better? Dare you fire in case you are wrong, and the gunshot gives away your position like a beacon? Are they creeping up behind you to stab you in the back? Is that breathing coming from behind you?

Interesting.. I wonder how you could create the illusion of audio direction though. Without being able to direct the audio, trying to pinpoint locations would be hard. And even if you could make sound seem to come from the sides of a person, i imagine it would be hard to make it sound like it’s coming from behind a person without a speaker back there.

Flag Post

Hi hangman95 >>>> Interesting.. I wonder how you could create the illusion of audio direction though. Without being able to direct the audio, trying to pinpoint locations would be hard. And even if you could make sound seem to come from the sides of a person, i imagine it would be hard to make it sound like it’s coming from behind a person without a speaker back there.

Just plug your usual headphone (no need to be a high tech one) then go there.

http://www.audio-3d.com/demo.html
and clic on yellow tag “Essayer audio-3D headphone” (kind of french to say try it)

Imagine game with this quality ^^.

Despite, Magdales is not at all relying on Audio. Audio dev was more for the “Accessibilité tag” and was used when competiting for the “Handicap 2012”. This module will now grown mostly alone when there will be any need.

kéké

Flag Post

I’ve heard of a game that deprives a player of sight called The Pit on the Xbox Live Arcade
The game relies on the other senses. Hearing and touch.

Flag Post

Hi FrancisFire,

Could you tell where to have more information about this game called “the pit” ?
I can’t find anything on the internet on that topic. Could that be Fallout 3 : The Pit ? (any link please ?) Those kind of game are really hard for blind peope… the only personnal shooter game i find that can be used by blind people is Doom (1st version) modified in “shades of doom”. But in that version, level are modify to be less like a maze. Also the path is materialised by heart-beating (poete would have say : “follow my heart beat !” :-) )

Over games have blind adaptation : Chess, Go, Scrable. I allready play against a sight-less man on a chessboard … Strategy is so different ! I’m not a good player : my favorite piece is the bishop and tower. Those are the nemesis piece for blind people as it can goes “too quickly” accross the chessboard.

Flag Post

I think this is what he means

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

MUDs (text based online games) are excellent games for blind people.

With the use of a screen reader, MUDs can be played extremely well and at a high, competitive level.

My company’s oldest game is a 17 year old, roleplay required, text MUD (Threshold RPG). Over the years we have had MANY blind players and most people never had any idea.

One of the best web sites that lists tons of MUDs is Top Mud Sites . You can find a ton of games there to try out.

Good luck!

-Michael

Tower of Elements – match 3, tower defense, rpg

Flag Post

Thank you beauval for the link.
I never heard about that one … but still, those game can be boring after 1 or 2 try …

MUD, as frogdice said are really good game. FY, one blind administrator of Magdales, told me we could make a bridge between magdales and a MUD game. But we haven’t choose that way. Magdales is both for impair and good-health peoples. Mud can be played by people with no disabilites … but won’t play because it is not graphical enought.

By the way Magdales is now 50% traducted. I asked our translator to focus on first step in game translation … but this has not applyed yet. Also pictures with Text are not translated yet…

Still, you may have a go :
http://www.en.magdales.com/

Hope you’ll enjoy !
kéké

Flag Post

According to guiness world records, you should try looking up Real Sound: Kaze no Regret. It’s the first blind friendly graphic adventure.

Flag Post

maybe make a type of game similar to text rpgs that used typed commands(go north, talk to thief, pick up knife, etc)
operated by voice instead of typing commands

??
would be nice for non blind people too

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Hi,

Magdales still working. Last, we had a new “Facebook’s like” module which is still accessible. You may now declare friend (or ennemy) in the game. When you do an heroique action (like wining a fight, or save a princess), you may write down this action on your wall. Friends of yours will then be able to see your actions. In some cases, you may also be rewarded for your action.
This part is done using rather new technology : AJAX/JQUERY but part of programm has still be designed so as “blind people” can use this module.

Here is a extract of the stat is generated by this new module:
NB reward taken : 675
38 % de reward has been taken (other can be timed out)
83 % of player who get at least a reward was using “blind user” option.

Did you thought than Facebook could be accessible ? (The only part which is almost usable by blind-people is the “facebook for mobil-phone” application). As facebook run some game, we might one day be able to see accessible game in it ? May it allready occures. If so, would you mind tell me ?

kéké

Flag Post

it’s been said before, but you’d really be better off taking this to the gaming or programming sub-forums.

Flag Post

If it’s a video, then really all you have to do is hear it. Blind people watch movies all the time and they seem to have a good foundation of what’s going on in the film .

Flag Post
Originally posted by XxsamuroxX:

If it’s a video, then really all you have to do is hear it.

Such a pity its a video game and not a movie, isn’t it?

Flag Post

Actually, no.

Flag Post

Why not?

Flag Post
Originally posted by niceman555:

Why not?

Why not, what?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Trigger_Happy_XD:
Originally posted by MooseDishes:

Shoots and Ladders

You sir, are a genius. Made my day.

I dont get the joke.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

it’s been said before, but you’d really be better off taking this to the gaming or programming sub-forums.

At 95 posts I’m wondering how the hell this ever lasted so long in SD.

Flag Post

:O it could be lik3e a giant game board with brail alll over it telling him his next quest then he would follow the line that led him to the evil orc and would then stab it with a pencil. It would be the best game ever

Flag Post

In Team Fortress 2, there is a hat you can buy, where all but 1% of the money gained goes to SpecialEffect who are trying to makes games play-able for people with disabilities, such as blindness. And yes, I did get one.

Flag Post

Hi KnotedCakez > Thanks for your link. It seems to be a great association. I’ll get in touch with them soon.

Hi Peace_keeper > The game you are describing could be the SCRABBLE. this game, for blind people is all covered with brail, as you mentionned it. I once played with a blind-man, but i suspected him to tcheat, as he keeped getting the more interesting letters from the bag. I then realize, he was just very good with letters, words and combinations.

Hi Twilight_ninja > don’t know how to do so. But if an administrator think it has to, go ahead ! My first question was, “Do you know any video game usable for Blind People.” As most people don’t even think that Blind people do play on vidéo game, I wrote Magdales as an exemple.

Magdales is still going on. Rumors have apeared in Magdales. Those are a good way to find Quest in the game. Peace_Keeper : I might create the quest : “follow the line that led to the evil orc and stab it with a pencil.” I’m still looking to create Quest with a real background … not the FEDEX quest where you need to find some wood in a demoniac forest 400 km away. (and you only need to pretend to be there, chop the 3 trees in your garden and earn a reward.)
+
I make some correction with the economical modul of Magdales. Building have now money to buy/sell some stuffs
+
Traduction French to English is almost done. All the database has been translated (many thanks to our player/helper). We still need to translate the php part using get_text …This part is really hard to coordonate and it will required more more time.

Have a good day ! Enjoy your Week end !
kéké who had hardly had time to play on kongregate …

Flag Post

It could possibly be a text adventure except with audio and a braille keyboard.