Why are you Atheist? page 2

3495 posts

Flag Post

atheism is religion though.

atheism isn’t a religion

you could just as well say ‘not believing in unicorns’ is a religion

its a set of beliefs, or thoughts on the subject of that matter.

So everything you can have thoughts about is a religion now? ‘Liking toast’ is a religion? ‘Getting annoyed when you forget to soak the cereal bowl before you wash it and now stuff is stuck to the inside of it’ is a religion?

Flag Post

you could just as well say ‘not believing in unicorns’ is a religion

i’m offended

Flag Post

1) Christians just piss me off with their arrogant, close-minded beliefs trying to force me to join them. So I become an atheist to convey my hatred towards them.
ex.
Christian: you must believe in God or you will go to hell
Me: what about the rest of the religions? Buddhism? Hinduism? etc
Christian: They’re lost.
Me: what….?
Christian: God is real and God is true. You must believe in him.

I am a Christian and I don’t believe you will go to Hell. This is why I don’t like generalizations.

3) I believe this whole idea of religion is just a method of control from men of power, filling in the blanks (how world’s created), and something we can lean towards during our shitty times (hope; life after death)

Quakerism does none of these things.

Also, life isn’t shit. I’d probably rather be reincarnated than go to heaven forever.

Flag Post

although religion does not need to worship of a supernatural being. because that is just the general term one would think of when they think of “religion”. definition #3 in Websters says “a personal or institutionalized system of religious beliefs, attitudes, and practiceses.” #2 says “devotion to a religious system.”

so when we look at religious it says #1 “relating or devoted to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity.” the deitys are not needed, they are just the general thought that pops into everybodys head. #2 says “of or relating to religious beliefs or observations.”

Flag Post

Then I’ll say its for those who are arrogant & close-minded.

Flag Post

I’m an atheist because I’ve never seen any concrete evidence pointing to the existance of God, and therefore have absolutely no real reason to believe in it.

Flag Post

‘Atheism’ doesn’t teach any sort of moral code, ritual practices or objects, or prayer. There is no ‘Church of Atheism’. People who say atheism is a religion are really making it more complex than it needs to be. It just means ‘I don’t believe in god’, it doesn’t mean you have to believe in anything else.

Again, would you say ‘not believing in unicorns’ is a religion?

Flag Post

The Divine Fax Machine I guess

Flag Post

Who Do you Think Created all the Religious texts?

People.

Usually on Hashish, Opium plants, or various kinds of mushrooms.

Flag Post

atheism is religion though.

Quoted from wiki:

“Atheism, as an explicit position, can be either the affirmation of the nonexistence of gods, or the rejection of theism. It is also defined more broadly as an absence of belief in deities, or nontheism”

It is a “system” of believe (or not believing, for that matter) but I wouldn’t call it a religion though. I certainly do not pray to the “god of atheist”, ha ha ha ha…

Flag Post

Who do you think?
People did.

Did you think God reached his magical hand down from the heavens and wrote all those religious texts?
They’re as man-made as any other book.

Flag Post

because religion is pointless

(‘Liking toast’ is a religion?)

i’d praise toast
<.<

Flag Post

no one has died and come back 2 tell us about it.

Even if they did, I wouldn’t believe him because it’s so subjective and that’s not sufficient enough. Anyone can tell me their life story about how God appeared to help them but those can all just be lies.

Flag Post

I’m glad you all are so educated.

Flag Post

I think I’m more agnostic than atheist (I’ve never really cared which I’m noted as). . . But anyways:

I became [Whatever label you’d like to put here] because when I was 11, I asked my Grandma why we always had to give so much money at church. She said so Jesus would have a nicer church. . . For whatever reason, that didn’t rub right with me. I don’t know. I guess I just didn’t care what the church looked like, so long as it was a place of worship.

After a few more weeks of church, that answer just kept bugging me. I eventually said, “Forget this”, and stopped going. It didn’t feel worth it, and it felt like a waste of time.

Was a great guaranteed nap every Saturday for an hour, though, complete with free salty crackers and wine. I miss those.

I know that for some people, that little mini-story might seem like it shouldn’t have turned me away, but. . . I can’t explain it. It just. . . Did.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

@PFB arrogance at its best

Flag Post

She said so Jesus would have a nicer church

Well, what else would you say to a whiny 11-year-old?

Flag Post

I’m glad you all are so educated.

hey thanks me too

Flag Post

Whiny? Excuse me? Where did that come from?

I asked her a question out of curiosity. I’m sure that’s what kids do. Kids ask questions. I wasn’t whiny; I was curious. No one had ever really explained what the basket and money was for.

I’m sorry if curiosity makes me whiny. I like to learn. My apologies.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

The truth?

I asked her a question out of curiosity. I’m sure that’s what kids do. Kids ask questions. I wasn’t whiny; I was curious. No one had ever really explained what the basket and money was for.

You have every right to ask and I don’t think that is being “whiny”.

Flag Post

Sorry if I offended you.

The thing is, you can’t get a full view of faith from one person. In fact, I was turned off from Christianity from one single person. And I didn’t explore it further.

Flag Post

But it was God’s will. And you’ve chosen the path he didn’t want you to choose (but cause of free will he had to give you it) and turned you to Christianity.

Flag Post

Sorry if I offended you. The thing is, you can’t get a full view of faith from one person. In fact, I was turned off from Christianity from one single person. And I didn’t explore it further.

Nah. Not offended. Just. . . Caught off guard. The “whiny” thing kind of came from left field. I can’t see the connection.

I know you can’t get a full view of faith from one person. I think, in a sense, that maybe my Grandma’s comment was the breaking point. Sunday School didn’t seem like it was doing much, and I couldn’t seem to understand it myself. I still went through all that, but for whatever reason, my Grandma’s comment made me step back and take another look. And then decided it wasn’t for me. I know it probably doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I guess I just can’t put it into words too well. . .

(Of course, in hindsight, sleeping during all of mass all the time probably didn’t help my understanding much either. I blame 2 things for that, though: 1) My pastor’s voice was so very, very monotone. . . And 2) I guess I just never had an interest from the start. Always felt like a Saturday routine.)

-Deriaz

Flag Post

One thing I don’t understand about athiests, as said by kasha, is how they can argue against religions, and then do the same thing. I don’t understand how someone can say they have no proof for god, then say there has to be no god. Thats why I find agnostics overall smarter than atheists.

Wow for the last sentence. I tend to find Black people smarter than white people…see what i did there? Maybe you understand the position better, but that’s not a reason to call a whole group of people stupid. I would never call religious people all together “less intelligent” or say that atheists are “smarter”. It’s not a good generalization to make.

The point is that there is no reason to assume there is a god only because religious people claim there is. There is no evidence for a deity. A religion had its merit and helped people understand the world when we did not have the means to find out how it worked on our own and create a work of reference to back up the values and morality the society needed. Now we do have the scientific means. A lot of the questions have been answered, others are still worked on, and it becomes obvious that almost everything can be explained without a deity – and without a doubt.

A very strong hint in that direction was for me, that religion ultimately screws you over no matter what. Either there is one religion that is right and all the others are wrong – then i don’t get why all of them are allegedly “divinely inspired” and have their “miracle healings” etc. They can not all be right because enough of them are mutually exclusive. Been a good christian? Off to muslim hell then… The scientific community on the other hand works with the same axioms and tools all over the world, and the major theories are agreed on by everyone.

So what stays to support a religions, any religions claim for its god to be true? Its scripture and the faith of its followers, but that’s about it, and I do not see a reason to assume a highly unlikely being that is unnecessary to explain either the world or society and its morals, just because some people claim it is there. The burden of proof does not lie with atheists to find evidence that there is no god. It is almost always impossible to prove the nonexistence of something, because a nonexistence rarely creates evidence. The burden of proof always lies with the people who present the thesis that something does exist, or works a certain way. If there is no proof for something, the default assumption is that it is not there, but a lot of theists seem to fail at this very simple concept.

Again: we have no facts that need to be accounted for by a deity, and no conclusive proof for the existence of one either, so I don’t see a reason to believe in one. Do you have any reason to assume that I have a tattoo on my forehead? No, you don’t, until you’ve seen it. But it’s invisible! So there!

Though I’m ashamed to say many people claim to be athiest because it makes them look or seem more intelligent. If you can corner and athiest and get them to contradict themselves, or fumble over a simple logic test, it’s a bandwagon athiest. Those people annoy me beyond all others. The people that claim beliefs they don’t even understand, and cannot possibly defend, for the sake of being cool, or intelligent looking.

First, every religion attracts a lot of bandwagon people too, as all the others have said already. Second, why do you assume that every atheist has to be intelligent or logic or has thought through his position? A lot of christians have never read the bible. Some people are atheists because they can’t be bothered to be religious and that’s it. The default state of the human mind is atheist, and you become religious only after people tell and teach you about their religion. If you’ve never been told & taught, you’re an atheist without even thinking about it. If you just never believed the people telling you about their religion, same thing. Not every christian has to be a priest, and not every atheist has to be Dawkins, thankfully.

Flag Post

norumaru: What about secular religions? To bring up Quakerism for the umpteenth time, they have done a lot of awesome things. Even if God does not exist, I don’t think anyone can look back on Quakerism and say “Wow, that was a waste of time.” Because they done a lot of great things based on their faith in God that are absolutely wonderful regardless whether or not God exists.

And yet, they’re still a religion. Every time someone says the word “Religion”, it encompasses them. But it is scarcely true. If you went back in the last paragraph and replaced “Religion” and “Christianity” with “Quakerism”, it would sound preposterous. But that’s essentially what you’re saying.

I use Quakers as an example because they are relatively well known, but there are a lot of other religions that could be used in its place.

A lot of christians have never read the bible

I haven’t read it cover to cover – why is this an issue?