Why are you Atheist? page 5

3495 posts

Flag Post

Atheism is the lack of belief in god. If you are ignorant of god, you lack a belief in god, hence you are an atheist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Atheist

“a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.”

Lacking a belief opens the door to a number of things, including being unsure of what belief to follow. If a person is unsure of what to follow, then there is the possibility of that person not having a belief for fear of wasting time following the wrong belief. Does that mean that those people who are unsure can be considered atheist just for not knowing or being confused? Would you say that mentally challenged people, who can probably know and recognize what people are talking about when people mention God, but not necessarily understand it, are aetheist for lacking a belief?

I proved nothing of the sort. I stated that to know something, you have to understand it.

Can you be more clear on how you managed to do so?

Flag Post

Does it really matter?!

Flag Post

Does it really matter?!

Only if you’re searching for absolute truth like I always am, which I doubt I’ll ever find anywhere.

Flag Post

I don’t care what the dictionary defines atheism as. The prefix a- means ‘a lack of’ and ‘theism’ is the belief in god, so atheism is the lack of belief in god. Yes, if a person is unsure, or if they are mentally challenged, they are an atheist. I hardly see what that is relevent however.

How I managed to do what? Make a statement? Are you reading my posts in the right order?

Flag Post

Well,, I’m pretty sure the name doesn’t really matter.

Flag Post

Why did God call himself God? How come we get to name him?

Yeh, we’ve named God after the word for a God which we had before God was around, so how come we name him? Does he have a name?

Flag Post

Why not? I’d prefer to define atheism as what it is rather than what it has come to mean, which is what the dictionary is stating.

EDIT RE RMcD: Because ‘Barry’ was taken.

Flag Post

How I managed to do what? Make a statement? Are you reading my posts in the right order?

How did you manage to not prove me right when you acknowledged that I would know something that was given to me without understanding it? That’s what I meant.

Alright, well I’m calling the definitions as agreed upon in the dictionary, so if you feel like there is another way of interpreting a “lack of belief” which, I think there is, then I won’t argue with you on your interpretation.

Flag Post
No, a more accurate analogy would be “If you throw a rock at someone, it will hurt them”. And “Actually, if the rock were very small or very fragile, it wouldn’t hurt that much at all”

now you’re referencing the good deeds or possible harms inflicted by religion again. my argument is not based on that at all, and as i said already, it has no say in my argument whether someone or some group did good or not, so it’s not a more appropriate analogy for my argument at all, only for yours.

All Christians believe in some sort of God and follow Christ in some manner

You can stop the generalizations there.

I never needed more.

i don’t need more generalization on this part than “religions believe in a deity”, “all religions claim to be real and right”, “a lot of religions threaten punishment for nonbelievers in their version” and “religions defy questioning and do not adapt readily to gained knowledge” for my argument to stand. The difference between quakers and catholics is completely unimportant.

you’re attacking me on points i never made.

I don’t care how kind-spirited quakers are, or zoroastrians, or whether they ever hurt anybody, and it is entirely unrelated to my point that we do not need a god anymore to explain the world for us, we can do it ourselves now. This is my main point, and it applies to all religions, specialization would be detrimental to the argument. You never even bothered to address this one, instead you started talking about quakers and what good they’ve done.

unless you start addressing my actual points, this is my last answer to you, because it gets pretty frustrating. My generalizations were legit, i was not addressing christianity exclusively but the concept of religion based on the organized religions we have today, why is this so hard to understand for you?

Flag Post

Religion is a choice whichever choice you pick doesn’t make you ignorant.

Flag Post

Religion is a choice whichever choice you pick doesn’t make you ignorant.

I don’t think anybody in the thread was ever arguing that being religious made one ignorant.

Flag Post

hey i’ve always wondered(and since ya’ll are talking about Atheist) do they believe in Heaven and Hell?

Flag Post

do they believe in Heaven and Hell?

Of course not.

Flag Post

so what do they think happens when we die?

Flag Post

so what do they think happens when we die?

Nothing, you just die.

Flag Post

You go all mouldy and such.

Flag Post

XD guess its just hard for me to imagine….being here and then….nothing

Flag Post

That very well may be the reason people turn to religion.

Flag Post

yea I see your point…..

Flag Post

This thread is like reading about 2 blind kids playing tag in a closet being directed by def people, and it’s a church sponsored event. I think they film it.

Flag Post

Then again you can just make up your own imagination on where you’ll go after you die. You don’t necessarily need to follow stories made from other people unless you’re mentally incapable of doing so on your own.

When I die, I’ll become a god and paint my own universe and beings. Then give them free will so I have something entertaining to watch. I’ll reveal myself to those beings to show them I exist and tell them they need not to worship and praise me but do whatever the hell they want. Unlike the douche God in this world.

Flag Post

…yea….i think I’ll stick with the idea of going to heaven…

Flag Post

that’s fine with me. Nothing wrong with people who don’t have their own imaginations of the afterlife.

Flag Post

XD guess its just hard for me to imagine….being here and then….nothing

I think my favorite thing on this topic was said by Wittgenstein:

“Death is not an event in life. We do not live to experience death.”

This is one of those obvious-sounding statements that actually says a lot. His point is exactly why you find it hard to imagine not-being – because not-being is not a part of life (which, ostensibly, all of us posters are currently experiencing).

This isn’t an argument for atheism, but it is a refutation of the argument that there must be life after death because we can’t imagine it any other way.

Flag Post

Because God seems non-existant, the Bible seems dumb, and anything afterlife sounds improbable.