Homeschool and Social Development page 2

35 posts

Flag Post

If you don’t socialize with a variety of people, and develop your interpersonal skills, you will be socially retarded.
Homeschooling definitely prevents interaction with a myriad of personality types, but if the family or friends network for that individual is large enough, they may not be as socially awkward.
Going to a public/private school will give them social and life lessons that are invaluable to life later on when they are an adult compared to the sheltered existence of homeschooling.

If you can’t communicate with people, what’s the point in accumulating whatever knowledge you may learn from homeschooling?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draconavin:

If you don’t socialize with a variety of people, and develop your interpersonal skills, you will be socially retarded.

It can happen more easily. Of course, I’ve seen people who were in public schools and didn’t come out of it all that great either.

Homeschooling definitely prevents interaction with a myriad of personality types, but if the family or friends network for that individual is large enough, they may not be as socially awkward.
Going to a public/private school will give them social and life lessons that are invaluable to life later on when they are an adult compared to the sheltered existence of homeschooling.

I think this is why it’s really important for parents of homeschoolers to make sure they have those other activites—be it church, get togethers, soccer, softball, all of the above—to make sure they’re not socially stunted by the process. There is a legitimate time and place for homeschooling.

If you can’t communicate with people, what’s the point in accumulating whatever knowledge you may learn from homeschooling?

Well keep in mind academics are at least part of it. Someone could homeschool and, on paper, be a great success. They just need to be sure to accumulate people skills along the way or they could very easily be socially crippled and have a hard time holding down a job in which to apply these learned skills.

Flag Post

When I was homeschooled I was plenty social. My Church had/has a whole bunch of youth groups and events ect. I had plenty of friends. The Social Development depends really depends on the parents when the kid is young (homeschoolers that is). I know a few kids whose parents shut them up till high school and they are not very good socially. Some homeschool parents keep their kid shut out from the world. Making the kid hard to talk to because he doesn’t know much. If a homeschool kid isn’t that social most of the times it’s usually the parents to blame.

Flag Post

Suppose when the individual is exposed to these “bad influences” later on in life, the individual will try to compensate for all the socializing oppurtunities they had missed out on before. Would the individual still be subject to bad influences due to assimilation, or trying to fit in? The individual needs to build some exposure at least, to build up an immunity of some sort.

I also know a guy who has been home schooled from what I can infer to bullying. He is not very humorous in my opinion, but he does try to socially connect to people through instant messengers and forums. I guess this can be a way to acquire some social interaction. Home schooling should be an environment for education predominately and should stray away from anything along the lines of solitary confinement. After all, we do live in a society that requires interaction and communication.

Flag Post
Originally posted by acedragon64:

When I was homeschooled I was plenty social. My Church had/has a whole bunch of youth groups and events ect. I had plenty of friends. The Social Development depends really depends on the parents when the kid is young (homeschoolers that is). I know a few kids whose parents shut them up till high school and they are not very good socially. Some homeschool parents keep their kid shut out from the world. Making the kid hard to talk to because he doesn’t know much. If a homeschool kid isn’t that social most of the times it’s usually the parents to blame.

Or, you know, there’s that crazy possibility that the kid has some kind of mental condition that makes them socially inept, but that’s totally “out there” and it is usually the parents fault for trying to keep the kid from the outside world and keeping them from developing social skills that they would completely would have learned if they were just not home-schooled.

Flag Post

Homeschool is good because they teach gaddang evolution in public schools these days! No creationism!

Flag Post
I think this is why it’s really important for parents of homeschoolers to make sure they have those other activites—be it church

wow. keep them out of a public, crypto-indoctrination camp, but do send them to something that’s openly a privately owned indoctrination camp…

that’s horrible. that’s like not allowing them to have a knife, but giving them a gun instead.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:
I think this is why it’s really important for parents of homeschoolers to make sure they have those other activites—be it church

wow. keep them out of a public, crypto-indoctrination camp, but do send them to something that’s openly a privately owned indoctrination camp…

that’s horrible. that’s like not allowing them to have a knife, but giving them a gun instead.

Oh, way to take it out of context. Come on now. I think the rest of the sentence went on to say soccer camps, etc. You get the picture (I hope?). Besides, church isn’t all that bad, and has a lot of social opportunities. It’s one way to get out there and network with people, and beats sitting home all the time in my opinion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:
Originally posted by acedragon64:

Or, you know, there’s that crazy possibility that the kid has some kind of mental condition that makes them socially inept, but that’s totally “out there” and it is usually the parents fault for trying to keep the kid from the outside world and keeping them from developing social skills that they would completely would have learned if they were just not home-schooled.

What I was saying was with mental conditions aside.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator