Kony, relevant?

20 posts

Flag Post

I am here to (try to) have a discussion about the true relevance of Joseph Kony.

Now, I’m not one of those arses that is all like “Kony doesn’t even matter you guys are a bunch of hippies” because I like disagreeing with people.

Personally, I think it is a great cause, but sadly somewhat hopeless. I think he should most definitely pay for his crimes, but I think the thing is that we are having problems from within, and we should settle those before trying to solve problems from without.

I can’t even imagine in the first place what we would do with him. Execute him? If that is the plan, why not just kill him in the jungle on sight?

Feel free to share opposing and agreeing opinions, I just plead that we keep it calm so that this doesn’t get locked like the other 5 threads.

Flag Post

I can’t understand why this is becoming relevant now. Are there seriously that many people who had their image of Africa distorted by the Kony video, as if Africa had been love and peace until he came along? He is one of many warlords who does not respect children, women or even other men, he is not really exceptional, and he has done nothing recently to legitimately spur discussion over what is to be done about him.

If we decided to hunt down every scumbag like Kony in Africa, then we would be there forever. It’s sad, but that’s just the way things are.

Flag Post

The wild overspamming of this stuff is horribly depressing. Hate to see what the internet will look like when someone tells us John Lennon died.

Flag Post

Kony 2012.

The result of crooks using lies to inspire the sheeple to fork over truckloads of money.

I think the core issue is that the general american populace is incredibly ignorant and gullible.

Flag Post

I’m going to keep this thread open purely because for once it is something more than “Here’s a youtube link! Watch this now!”, which isn’t really a discussion starter at all.

For me, what concerns me is how some people are quickly accepting the matter to be fact without exploring some of the underlying issues behind it. I see a lot of people who are sceptical to things like employment data, climate change data, taxation, so on and so forth, and many of these things are politically and economically centric, but when it comes to taking down a person halfway across the globe, people seemingly throw their caution into the wind.

That, to me, is most disturbing.

Flag Post

Gonna have to agree with the points made in this thread.
Kony is more than just a bad guy in Africa to me. This whole ruckus really embodies American’s gullibility and neglect of research.
All I hear at school nowadays is “I CRIED SO HARD WHEN I WATCHED THE VIDEO
Hopefully this will pass.

Flag Post

I’m sick of hearing all this kony stuff from my naive friends who honestly think he’s the new Hitler. Sure, he needs to be killed, but a lot of passive-aggressive protesting isn’t going to do anything. And ‘getting the government’s attention’ isn’t going to help bring him down. Instead of bringing this leader of a now minor gang down, all it will do is bring him support from those who hate the West if they believe he’ll have to confront us. Not only that, but he isn’t even the worst offender. His atrocities are par for the course for African warlords, he just happened to get the attention of one naive reporter. To be honest, we have bigger problems than him. How about the drug cartels? Why doesn’t anyone start a “sinaloa cartel 2012”? we can’t fix africa, but for our own sake, we have to fix mexico.

Flag Post

So here’s my question;
Say, hypothetically, the US Administration sent a team of advisors (read “SOCOM hit squad”) in to Central Africa to track down and arrest or kill Kony.
They achieve their objective, miraculously not harming any of the child soldiers, though Kony proved too difficult to arrest alive, and was killed in a firefight.
All of the folks spamming up the various social network sites rejoice, right? Justice is done! Hooray! We all raised awareness and the government listened and now a bad, bad man is no longer harming children in Africa!

Now, let’s go back in time say…six months to a year.
The “KONY2012” vid isn’t out there.
Same hypothetical situation; US sends SOCOM teams in to get this evil bastard. Same outcome; no kids hurt, Kony killed in action.

How much you wanna bet that the same group that’s calling for action right now would have freaked the f**k out about the US sending out death squads and why don’t we just mind our own business and who do we think we are and blablabla?

Dunno, just something I was mulling over while working today. The public’s ideas on foreign policy and military intervention are incredibly fickle, and seemingly extremely easy to manipulate with some slick edits and a little condescension.

Flag Post

A hit list of rebel groups which use child soldiers would be a very long list indeed; it’s common practice in Africa, and they’ve got more rebel groups than they know what to do with. If you start going down that road, you could end up with US foreign policy being directed by public opinion, which would be very dangerous. Moreso considering some of the opinions about foreign policy that I have seen on this board.

I posted the next bit in another Kony thread yesterday, which mysteriously disappeared during the evening while I was at the fish and chip shop. So sorry for repeating myself. People like Kony are not the main problem in Africa, they are just a symptom. The real problem is bad government by ruling cliques, whose every action is driven by self preservation and self interest. It inevitably creates groups of people who are disadvantaged and victimised. The Konys of this world are never going to go away until that problem is addressed.

Now as I said yesterday, growing public awareness that there is a problem is a good thing. If the public are aware of the daily atrocities being carried out in Africa, it is only a matter of time before even the dimmest politicians become aware of them too. But capturing or killing a few warlords will achieve nothing. It needs diplomatic and economic pressure on the offending ruling cliques to make things change. It’s a long road to travel, and I doubt if there are many western leaders who have the courage to go down it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by softest_voice:

So here’s my question;
Say, hypothetically, the US Administration sent a team of advisors (read “SOCOM hit squad”) in to Central Africa to track down and arrest or kill Kony.
They achieve their objective, miraculously not harming any of the child soldiers, though Kony proved too difficult to arrest alive, and was killed in a firefight.
All of the folks spamming up the various social network sites rejoice, right? Justice is done! Hooray! We all raised awareness and the government listened and now a bad, bad man is no longer harming children in Africa!

Now, let’s go back in time say…six months to a year.
The “KONY2012” vid isn’t out there.
Same hypothetical situation; US sends SOCOM teams in to get this evil bastard. Same outcome; no kids hurt, Kony killed in action.

How much you wanna bet that the same group that’s calling for action right now would have freaked the f**k out about the US sending out death squads and why don’t we just mind our own business and who do we think we are and blablabla?

Dunno, just something I was mulling over while working today. The public’s ideas on foreign policy and military intervention are incredibly fickle, and seemingly extremely easy to manipulate with some slick edits and a little condescension.

I think it all comes down to pandering to the United State’s false sense of responsibility.
The only problem is there is no consensus about this responsibility. Some people think the US should police the world, others think they should mind their own business. There is literally no way to have 100% support in this country.

Flag Post

What makes Kony so special?
There a 1000s of Kony’s in Africa.
And many 1000s of Kony’s in Asia,South America, and to a certain extent Mexico.
If kony is killed, a new one will replace him and the cycle continues.
What needs to be done is nipping the type of profiteering that comes from such a Kony-like position in the bud.
This is very difficult, but maybe one day it can happen when education,and religion(taught correctly), or other form of moralistic standards are more accessible to all parts of the world, which would reduce creation of such individuals.

Flag Post

Kony needs to die, and no amount of protesting will kill him.
All we need to do is find his ass, and send in a SEAL team to put some holes in his chest.
Same goes for all similar war criminals.

Flag Post

If you look up this campaign it shows some money did go to Uganda but most of it to shooting the movie but now it is all going to Uganda. I have heard.

Flag Post

This thread raises a good point, why the fuck haven’t I heard of Joseph Kony before now? I’ve heard of the LRA but I had assumed that they were pretty much gone. I read the newspapers, watch MSNBC, I’m a fairly smart guy. This man is the 9th most wanted person in the world (according to Wikipedia) and I haven’t heard of him?
I know that the Kony2012 video came out recently but tell me, why should I care? He’s no better or worse than any other African rebels/warlords, they all do pretty much the same thing for varying beliefs. Child soldiers are nothing new, why was nothing done in Sierra Leone and Angola if we care so much about them. If we truly care then we should do something about the problem before a video comes out about it.
Joseph Kony is an awful man and needs to die. However, I’ll get behind Kony2012 when I understand why he’s so much worse than a lot of other warlords in Africa.

Flag Post

This Kony guy has been doing this kind of thing since 1968… Not saying it any less horrible, but I didn’t raise a finger to help my whole life… I am not going to jump on a guilty and obnoxious public band wagon.

Flag Post

At least the initial hype of the whole thing has started to recede.

Flag Post

I think that we should kill kony but i have heard that only like 32% of the money that the invisible children organisation receives goes to africa and the rest goes to them so it is kind of a scam in my opinion…

Flag Post

The guy who made the video is actually nuts, so that explains a lot.
Source

Flag Post

Kony only became infamous because we got tired of not having a complete ass hole 3rd world warlord to villainize on the news.

Flag Post
Originally posted by sparta141:

I’m sick of hearing all this kony stuff from my naive friends who honestly think he’s the new Hitler. Sure, he needs to be killed, but a lot of passive-aggressive protesting isn’t going to do anything. And ‘getting the government’s attention’ isn’t going to help bring him down. Instead of bringing this leader of a now minor gang down, all it will do is bring him support from those who hate the West if they believe he’ll have to confront us. Not only that, but he isn’t even the worst offender. His atrocities are par for the course for African warlords, he just happened to get the attention of one naive reporter. To be honest, we have bigger problems than him. How about the drug cartels? Why doesn’t anyone start a “sinaloa cartel 2012”? we can’t fix africa, but for our own sake, we have to fix mexico.

As if the Ugandan government is any better than Joseph Kony himself. See this for example.