Talk about Afghan massacre by Robert Bales here

46 posts

Flag Post

What has he done? Is he crazy, why is he doing this?

Background: A U.S soldier walked into afghan settlement and killed families including women and children, a dog, and burned their bodies, all done at around 3.am today (correct me if I’m wrong).

Flag Post

War changes you ;)
You become cold, and uncaring.
Many end up with mental illnesses.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sleepallnight:

Is he crazy

Yes, one would imagine he has some form of mental health issue.

Flag Post

In wars past we never sent soldiers on tour more than once or twice. This Army is sending them multiple times and they are suffering from Post Traumatic Syndrome. Suicide is out of hand with the soldiers returning. I don’t know what our government is thinking by sending them four or more times into the theater. Then when they get home the Army ignores them. It is a shame what is happening.

It is a type of mental illness caused by killing and seeing death so much. We have basically exposed them so much their minds can’t absorb it.

Flag Post

Inb4 Ron Paul.

You go in with a clear mind, and leave with it lost (if you leave at all).

Flag Post

Yes, sadly that is true.

Flag Post

He’s probably been shot at. He’s probably seen his friends vaporized by IED’s. He’s probably horribly frustrated.
On top of this, the American soldier has been turned into a figure of savagery by ridiculous media coverage.
If I were him, yeah, I’d be pretty frickin pissed too.
What he did wasn’t right, but you should put urself in his boots first before passing judgement.

Flag Post
Originally posted by scoopolard:

He’s probably been shot at. He’s probably seen his friends vaporized by IED’s. He’s probably horribly frustrated.
On top of this, the American soldier has been turned into a figure of savagery by ridiculous media coverage.
What he did wasn’t right, but you should put urself in his boots first before passing judgement.

Wait, are you arguing that the murderer is a victim? “he ONLY killed 16 people, but its not his fault because he was CRAZY!!” is not good logic.

put yourself in the shoes of the REAL victims: those who he murdered and their families.

Flag Post

I can’t put myself in his shoe, I have no idea about him… he’s probably crazy or just used drugs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CROWverlord:

Wait, are you arguing that the murderer is a victim? “he ONLY killed 16 people, but its not his fault because he was CRAZY!!” is not good logic.

No. I’m just saying the man was under a ton of pressure and had probably experienced a ton of life-threatening situations. I’m saying that what he did was wrong and clearly a war crime, but don’t be so quick to demonize him. You have not experienced what he has experienced.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CROWverlord:

No. I’m just saying the man was under a ton of pressure and had probably experienced a ton of life-threatening situations. I’m saying that what he did was wrong and clearly a war crime, but don’t be so quick to demonize him. You have not experienced what he has experienced.

I’m shoulder-2-shoulder w/ jhco & scoopy on this one.
If ya ain’t “been there”…..
Ya really don’t know about “there”.

We called it the canary-in-the-mine syndorome.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sleepallnight:

I can’t put myself in his shoe, I have no idea about him… he’s probably crazy or just used drugs.

Can’t or won’t? You evidently have no idea what it is like to be under fire. This is fine, but until you walk a mile in his boots, you don’t know.

Flag Post

However, let’s not go too easy on him either – plenty of other soldiers go through these extremely stressful times without shooting women and children. I don’t disagree with having some compassion for him, but of course, there’s a dichotomy like there is in everything else.

Flag Post

@jhco
So you know?

Flag Post

Although I was not in the middle of combat, many in my family were. They came back scared. My uncle was in Korea and then Vietnam. He went to Vietnam with dark hair and came back with snow white hair. Most Vets don’t talk about what happened to them, except to other vets. Yes, I know. I lost fiends who went to war and many came back with nightmares. War is not a place anyone should have to endure, but it is necessary to protect our country. The questions you should ask is how many times was he deployed, how many of his friends died, or how many enemy soldiers did he have to kill. We don’t know what was going through his mind. When they do come home they are left with these scars with no help from our government. They are used and cast aside. To add misery to an already suffering soldier, people degrade them for their service.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

However, let’s not go too easy on him either – plenty of other soldiers go through these extremely stressful times without shooting women and children. I don’t disagree with having some compassion for him, but of course, there’s a dichotomy like there is in everything else.

Bob, I don’t think anyone is in anyway proposing there be anything “easy” at all about this situation. We,,,and ESPECIALLY he,,,are well past easy. AND, there is no road “home” on this one.

This incident drives home the point of just how damaging combat//war is to those who actually have the boots on the ground. Does anyone know his age? THAT can be a huge factor. Do we know his background? Do we know much of anything at all? Then, how can we do much “judging” at all then?

Remember: We are the Land of the Free because we are the Home of the Brave. Bravery doesn’t come cheap….it’s price is high. This kid is now in a living hell for himself. Give him decent respect for tribulation to yet come. Lord knows he will need it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

In wars past we never sent soldiers on tour more than once or twice. This Army is sending them multiple times and they are suffering from Post Traumatic Syndrome. Suicide is out of hand with the soldiers returning. I don’t know what our government is thinking by sending them four or more times into the theater. Then when they get home the Army ignores them. It is a shame what is happening.

It is a type of mental illness caused by killing and seeing death so much. We have basically exposed them so much their minds can’t absorb it.

FOUR times? Jesus Christ…

Honestly, I know nothing about our Defence Forces (Aussie)
But…FOUR TIMES?!
Eh. I can’t even construct a word for it.

As Mr. Burns famously said;
Incompentent Boobery.

Flag Post

it takes both great physical and mental ability to be a soldier. this guy should probably be discharged, and whatever additional punishment they feel is appropriate.

i can understand snapping under the pressure of that job, but that is not an excuse for killing innocents unprovoked.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Although I was not in the middle of combat, many in my family were. They came back scared. My uncle was in Korea and then Vietnam. He went to Vietnam with dark hair and came back with snow white hair. Most Vets don’t talk about what happened to them, except to other vets. Yes, I know. I lost fiends who went to war and many came back with nightmares. War is not a place anyone should have to endure, but it is necessary to protect our country. The questions you should ask is how many times was he deployed, how many of his friends died, or how many enemy soldiers did he have to kill. We don’t know what was going through his mind. When they do come home they are left with these scars with no help from our government. They are used and cast aside. To add misery to an already suffering soldier, people degrade them for their service.

THank you, its a new point of view for me. Now I think, yes what he did was shockingly bad shocking, bad, and everything, but I’m not going to be the one who’s going to make things hard for him.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Bob, I don’t think anyone is in anyway proposing there be anything “easy” at all about this situation. We,,,and ESPECIALLY he,,,are well past easy. AND, there is no road “home” on this one.

This incident drives home the point of just how damaging combat//war is to those who actually have the boots on the ground. Does anyone know his age? THAT can be a huge factor. Do we know his background? Do we know much of anything at all? Then, how can we do much “judging” at all then?

Remember: We are the Land of the Free because we are the Home of the Brave. Bravery doesn’t come cheap….it’s price is high. This kid is now in a living hell for himself. Give him decent respect for tribulation to yet come. Lord knows he will need it.

I did not want to comment here since so little is yet know about the situation and especially the soldier(at least in the media i have had access to). What i am seeing here from many are judgments both against and in defense of the soldier built almost entirely on speculation.
We don´t know why the soldier did what he did. There can be many different reasons, they can have to do with the war but they could be entirely or mostly personal too.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Wow, really nice post. I believe he was 38.

Flag Post

He deserves a horrible death.

Flag Post

good to know our big conservative is not a war-glorifyer.

anyway, i know nothing of active war. all i know is, clearly this guy is not criminal but insane. clearly he should not receive punishment but severe treatment.

also clearly he’s never gonna really get over this. and most likely, he IS a victim.

there are plenty of soldiers in active war who lose sight of morality and do really bad things. this is not that.

you know that feeling when you’ve been bugged by some bugs, like, a horse-fly or so, something that might attack you, and no matter what you do, you can’t get rid of it. and it keeps coming when you don’t expect it, from anywhere, then at some point you think you hear it coming from everywhere, all the time, and every movement you think you detect you swack at? or when everyone, perhaps by coincedence, had been given you a hard time, and you get so frustrated you snap at anyone, and then you have to figure out why you snapped at that guy?

for bloody violence the threshhold is much higher, but it can happen. it’s called going berserk. they shoot at everyone, friend, foe or innocent; unable to distinct. and they keep going. they never really recover.

i don’t know if this was that, and as i said, i know nothing of war. but it can do crazy things, i’m sure. do things to a person you’ve never imagined. i’ve read about a few that are literally unable to remember parts, or completely unable to talk about it.

don’t judge what you have no idea about. i don’t.

Flag Post

Lets also discuss this question from DrOctaganapus2:
We all heard about the U.S. Captin who went I censored and killed pretty much an entire village. Well, now the Taliban seem to be pissed, and want revenge. Do you think they will rise up and truely do it, or just stand by like they did when Osama was killed? They did attack the U.S. pretty badly for not many good reasons, imagine what kind of damage they can do intended and planned?

Also, how do you think America should respond? Peace, explain what happened? Threats? We still have active Nukes. Start a WWIII?

Addition by me, Sleepallnight:
Is this going to be the start of something more serious in the future. Whats your predictions?

Flag Post

He should be executed publicly so that no one insane or not tries this in future.
Also this will calm things down