A Perfectly Illogical Person

26 posts

Flag Post

Wheatley from Portal 2 got me thinking about this.

Is it possible to have/build/manufacture/genetically engineer/demonspawn a perfectly illogical being? Because even the most mentally retarded person shows signs of logic(for example, if you put a gun to their head they will show fear). We don’t know where the “logic circuits are located” and thus can’t weed them out.

Flag Post

You would probably have to program someone like Bizaro Superman, someone designed to operate on a thought pattern completely opposite or distinct from logic, so that they would conciously make a decision in each circumstance that would not be the logical one. Merelyt making a very very stupid being wouldn’t work.

Mind I don’t see the point, and I wonder if such a being would kill themselves, or die by refusing to eat etc

Flag Post

No.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

No.

I agree.
Esp. since PERFECTION is an absolute that can ONLY be “approached” and likely NEVER achieved.
NOW, if ya wanna give us a much better idea of what YOU mean by “perfectly”….we might be better able to have good discussion on this topic.

Flag Post

You’d have to be able to build a being capable of choosing actions completely at random. The reason building something like Bizaro Superman wouldn’t work is because they would still have reasoning, even if the reasoning is considered poor.

Flag Post

well if it was completely illogical it would be completely logical since it would require the system to calculate al options and then pick the least logical one which is still logical. You could however just take a random generator and call it a day :>

Flag Post
Originally posted by thijser:

well if it was completely illogical it would be completely logical since it would require the system to calculate al options and then pick the least logical one which is still logical. You could however just take a random generator and call it a day :>

Random generators run off of logic based machines.

Flag Post

Random generators run off of logic based machines.

We could always build a more advanced random generator. Maybe one that measures the spin of a particular sub-atomic particle?

Flag Post

Truly random number generators do not exist; we utilize large Mersenne Prime numbers in our programs. I think we should install global neurochips in everyone’s cranium upon birth, at random, and select a starting seed at random, by using a pseudo-random number generator, using the 666th digit selected, to begin killing off every single person by activating their neuro-chip according to the order in which they were installed. Chaos. Anarchy. Beauty. Peace.

Flag Post

Those exist already. They’re called “social conservatives.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by SavagedSavant:

Truly random number generators do not exist; we utilize large Mersenne Prime numbers in our programs.

The Mersenne Twister is only one of many methods for generating random numbers. Generally, one would want to utilize several variables to create a random number so that it would be more difficult to seed a program and generate expected results.

Unless you’re talking about RSA encryption, which uses the product of two large prime numbers to encrypt and decrypt information.

For an example of a pseudo-random number generator gone wrong, look up Golden Sun. One can easily find methods that guarantee certain item drops because the PRNG the game uses is very deterministic.

The only reason I suggested a random number generator is because any reasoning for picking a “least logical choice” is still a logical choice. The only difference is that the reasoning is absurd.

Flag Post

You can’t run away from using logic.
Any action or idea, that implies “A leads to B”, IS logic.
A funny RANDOM generator would be:
Someone with eyes closed is pressing the stop button, for a VERY fast going roulette.
If it goes fast enough, so that it makes a turn in say 1/20 a sec, the outcome IS random, cause the physical reaction is too slow to catch up with the spin.
But this is NOT a preprogrammed generator – those are impossible to be illogical, cause like I said, computers are unable to work in NOT “A to B” way.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

uhm… you should probably look up a wikipedia list of brainless animals.

Flag Post

somebody613, something like that, but how would you get said being to apply it in every single decision of its life? Also it must not do it consciously, otherwise it’s reasoning.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

Wheatley from Portal 2 got me thinking about this.

Is it possible to have/build/manufacture/genetically engineer/demonspawn a perfectly illogical being? Because even the most mentally retarded person shows signs of logic(for example, if you put a gun to their head they will show fear). We don’t know where the “logic circuits are located” and thus can’t weed them out.

It’s called a rock, they’re naturally occurring.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

It’s called a rock, they’re naturally occurring.

A rock is highly logical.

Flag Post

@Helltank
i think that godlessness makes a person think in such issues ! it’s totally absurd , yet there are technology’s now , and people are willing to clone human being …. they will fail of course … since our souls are spiritual and no one understands what’s the true meaning or definition of a human soul now a days , unfortunately all people are like machines … you buy a new BlackBerry you become like it … you buy a new BMW … you become obsessed with it .. this is ridiculous thinking !

Flag Post

Yeah man, who would even clone human being? That’s just Godless damn ridiculous.

Flag Post
Originally posted by XxBizxX:

unfortunately all people are like machines … you buy a new BlackBerry you become like it … you buy a new BMW … you become obsessed with it .. this is ridiculous thinking !

I like how you use the computer as a tool to spread this view.

Flag Post

Well, I think the answer could be yes.
Well, you can’t completely snuff out logical thinking but you can program the reaction.
Let’s go back to the Wheatley topic. If you program completely reliable logic and make it straightforward to be the correct and visible solution to the being, you could program a completely oppossite reaction to the rational action. So, to sum it up, you take logic and reverse the reaction without reversing logic.

Flag Post

Maybe, create a logical body that works well, but create a totally crazy mind that do things from random generator. What do you think?

Flag Post

S_98, but the being will still use logic, regardless of its reaction. It will still employ logic.

XxBizxX is either demented or a troll, so I’m not going to respond to him.

Also, I should point out that the Aperture Science people failed to create a perfectly illogical being. Wheatley was capable of logical thought, and even showed some intelligence(such as watching vids of Chell’s fight with GLaDOS and making portal-proof walls).

Sleepallnight, but the being would still employ logic. The logic would be:I must follow everything from the RNG. That stream of data is from the RNG. Therefore I must follow it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

S_98, but the being will still use logic, regardless of its reaction. It will still employ logic.

XxBizxX is either demented or a troll, so I’m not going to respond to him.

Also, I should point out that the Aperture Science people failed to create a perfectly illogical being. Wheatley was capable of logical thought, and even showed some intelligence(such as watching vids of Chell’s fight with GLaDOS and making portal-proof walls).

Sleepallnight, but the being would still employ logic. The logic would be:I must follow everything from the RNG. That stream of data is from the RNG. Therefore I must follow it.

It would probably be the best illogical person one could create. At the very least, it’s actions are more difficult to determine.

Flag Post

In order to act illogically always, wouldn’t it then have to know every logical option?