Teacher Racist?

9 posts

Flag Post

So I was in my German I class as usual for school. And I cannot remember why, but we were discussing what countries our families on both sides came from. A student rose her hand and the teacher called on her. And she stated she was part something I cannot remember and part Korean. My teacher asked? “Which one?” and the student replied “South Korea”. And my teacher looked relieved jokingly it seemed.
You see, it got me thinking ‘what did my teacher just do?’. Now I could be over-reacting as I usually tend to do. But I felt a tad bit of racism. For example; back then, Nazis were known to be Germans. I know so many of my friends assume because one is german or has german in them, that they’re a nazi and that makes them an evil person. I somewhat find a connection with this situation. Because apparently, we claim that North Koreans are evil because they’re communists and whatnot for other reasons. But the thing is… Just because you’re from a country that does certain things that others might find wrong, does not always mean everyone there supports it.
It’s just crazy how one simple sigh of relief can create such thought processes in my mind. I don’t know, maybe I’m over-reacting, over-thinking, completely wrong. I just had to let that off my chest. Please let me know what you think of all of this.

For the record, I did happen to use a little bit of sarcasm within the following text above. If you have felt offended at all, it was not intended whatsoever

Flag Post

Um… He might be. I didn’t ask him.

Flag Post

I think it’s more along the lines that someone who’s parents came from north korea are likely to have suffered/ their parents have suffered.

Flag Post
I did happen to use a little bit of sarcasm

that may be your answer.

also everyone knows that North Koreans are not evil, but suffer an evil government.

Flag Post
Originally posted by KingZeldar3:

maybe I’m over-reacting, over-thinking, completely wrong.

Of course, as it was obviously a joke. I can’t quite tell if the whole post was a joke too, especially having read the last bit, but I’ll reply as if it was serious.

‘Racism’ gets thrown around far too easily and incorrectly these days…

Flag Post
Originally posted by KingZeldar3:

So I was in my German I class as usual for school. And I cannot remember why, but we were discussing what countries our families on both sides came from. A student rose her hand and the teacher called on her. And she stated she was part something I cannot remember and part Korean. My teacher asked? “Which one?” and the student replied “South Korea”. And my teacher looked relieved jokingly it seemed.
You see, it got me thinking ‘what did my teacher just do?’. Now I could be over-reacting as I usually tend to do. But I felt a tad bit of racism. For example; back then, Nazis were known to be Germans. I know so many of my friends assume because one is german or has german in them, that they’re a nazi and that makes them an evil person. I somewhat find a connection with this situation. Because apparently, we claim that North Koreans are evil because they’re communists and whatnot for other reasons. But the thing is… Just because you’re from a country that does certain things that others might find wrong, does not always mean everyone there supports it.
It’s just crazy how one simple sigh of relief can create such thought processes in my mind. I don’t know, maybe I’m over-reacting, over-thinking, completely wrong. I just had to let that off my chest. Please let me know what you think of all of this.

For the record, I did happen to use a little bit of sarcasm within the following text above. If you have felt offended at all, it was not intended whatsoever

Ummmm…no. There wasn’t any racism….ugh…this is stupid…North Korea is communist. South Korea is capitalist. Communism is frowned upon. There. That’s it. Race had to do with it. It just so happened that in Korea, people are of the oriental ethnicity.
Let me put it this way:
Take yourself back to the 60’s and 70’s. You’re German. You come to America. I ask you “what side of Germany are you from?”
If you respond “west”, then I will be relieved that you experience the same kind of economic system that has allowed me to enjoy a high degree of freedom and wealth. If you reply “east”, then I will be disappointed that you had to experience an economic system that, quite frankly, blows ass. Plus, there would be a fear that, since you experienced this economic system for so long, you may have bought into it and might try to convince others of the “merits” of it.

Once again, no racism.

Flag Post

It is probably a bit presumptive to assume the preference is because of economic differences, and not, say, the large political differences between the two countries.

It’s hard to imagine it’s a racial thing, however. North Koreans and South Koreans are still Korean. I don’t know how one could be racist against North Koreans and be fine with South Koreans.

Flag Post
Originally posted by scoopolard:

Ummmm…no. There wasn’t any racism….ugh…this is stupid…North Korea is communist. South Korea is capitalist. Communism is frowned upon. There. That’s it. Race had to do with it. It just so happened that in Korea, people are of the oriental ethnicity.
Let me put it this way:
Take yourself back to the 60’s and 70’s. You’re German. You come to America. I ask you “what side of Germany are you from?”
If you respond “west”, then I will be relieved that you experience the same kind of economic system that has allowed me to enjoy a high degree of freedom and wealth. If you reply “east”, then I will be disappointed that you had to experience an economic system that, quite frankly, blows ass. Plus, there would be a fear that, since you experienced this economic system for so long, you may have bought into it and might try to convince others of the “merits” of it.

Once again, no racism.

Nice points

Flag Post

Your teacher isn’t racist, she’s Communist-ist.