Middle East, wars and oil

30 posts

Flag Post

Will there ever be peace in the Middle East? Will it affect the oil prices? How would it affect other countries?

And please no one word answers. I want to see your opinions about the topic.

Flag Post

In my perspective, the Middle East shouldn’t really affect oil prices because the United States is still fairly rich in oil. Will there be peace in the Middle East? Probably not, because of that war with the Sunni and Shiites(sp?). If you kind of think about it peace is somewhat of a bad thing. Oh and oil prices in Europe have been high the past 5 years or whatever (just a guess). I remember reading that oil in France was like 7-9 USD a gallon.

Flag Post

The Middle East does hold most of the worlds oil, around 56%, but, there are also large deposits, in Venezuela, and Canada, and im not 100% sure on this.. but I think we get most of our oil, (or close to it) from Canada, followed by Mexico, and some more we produce our selves, so about 60% of our oil is from NA. So, get worried if a Civil war breaks out in Canada…

As for peace in the Middle East, not any time soon… with all those dictators, terrorists, and the various religious conflicts… I would say no large scale peace, unless Iran, or Israel or someone takes everything over, which is not going to happen.

Flag Post

I have a feeling there will be a point when all the Arab oil runs dry. It will reach it’s highest price point ever, or will no longer be accessible in a feasible way, which will cut the supply of money to the Arab countries. All the oil in the Americas (North and South) will be held in a monopoly by the U.S.A, which will bring back economic prosperity to the U.S for a generation or so, and then when those higher priced American oil reaches it’s last bit of supply, and the highest prices for oil ever, something will come along to replace our dependance on oil, or we will find another feasible method due to new technology. Deep sea drilling seems to be the next big step.

What this spells for all Arab nations is more instability, and more Arab nations collapsing. More and more communities will probably try to split up nations to safeguard their interests, and this division will continue to breed hostility in those areas until they just implode on themselves.

I don’t see a good future for any of the middle east nations, even the rich Saudi’s are in for a rude awakening.

Flag Post

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Flag Post

There will never be peace in the middle east. They have been fighting for thousands of years with no sign of letting up.

As far as oil goes, I don’t believe in the peak oil theory.

Flag Post

Yes. Maybe. A lot.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

There will never be peace in the middle east. They have been fighting for thousands of years with no sign of letting up.

As far as oil goes, I don’t believe in the peak oil theory.

There was far less fighting there then in Europa before the crusades…. So make that a few hundred years. (and most of that was since russia and the USA screwed it over during the cold war).

Flag Post

Yes, there will be peace in the Middle East…

After they have a massive war. That’s where they’re going. They’re going to have a war big enough to settle things. Peace often follows war.

Also, the Arabs don’t rely entirely on oil for thier money. They are aware of the rise of clean energy and have invested thier money in other things besides oil. They’re not stupid.

Flag Post

They have coffee to.
The biggest exports in the world is oil, followed by coffee beans.
So, unless something drastic happens to their source of coffee like atomic war? Or burning of their crops, they may still be fine after their oil crisis.

But I think war will wipe out a lot of their resources, just a matter of time.

Flag Post

i don’t think there’ll be a big war. their wars are civil wars, and we’ll continue to see a lot of that. dictatorial powers will be overthown, and democracy will gradually develop after the European models.

Europe and some allies did it over the past couple of centuries without a good role-model (other than the Dutch polder consensualism, which i think is the very root of the modern Western standarts), so i’m sure they can too.

it will take a while, and it won’t all be pretty. but they’ll get there. the whole world will, some day.

Flag Post

Yah, civil war in that area will continue, as long as the poor tribes keep fighting each other.
I’m being a bit of cynic by saying that they will go into an all out war with atomic weapons since they will still probably be fighting with cold war weapons, and outdated weaponry/ tactics.
But burning of crops may happen just to stop the other tribes from having high morale or sources of income/ food.
The infighting will never stop as long they keep dividing themselves over arbitrary beliefs over religious, and/or political views.
The governing in these countries is also non existent, and the establishment in these nations do not try to help their people, but only care for the interests of themselves, and maybe friend, and families to a point.
Corruption well never end until true democracy is brought to the people. It’s slowly creeping in, and the younger generation does seem to herald this cause, but who knows if they can keep up the momentum, or if the old ways will win in the end.

Flag Post

i live in the middle east … and peace aint the question , actually we are being paid by other countries in order to maintain our civil war … in order to stay the bad guys all the time so that people fear us ! but what you need to listen to is someone from a very poor family and love to confront other religions … i am a muslim thou and the conflicts between sunni and shiites is man made .. its not a religious act or whatever ! so my point is , in order to run a monopoly over war there is always these small dots that have to be blamed all the time , the problem is that people see us as terrorists more than human beings .. and terrorist organizations are being paid by foreign countries as well , if you know what i know and what i have searched in and got proof’s from … trust me you will be shocked in every single way and your gonna change your way of thinking about the word “Peace” lol , we are meant to follow one thing only my dear friend .. Dollars and Euro’s … people in here are very cheap , you can buy someone for 10$ and make him do your dirty work … i live in a ghetto neighborhood in lebanon and full with sinni ,shiite and christian people … there are daily fights dude , you know why ! close minded people ! they follow the leaders of certain party members and act accordingly ! so we are mere puppets moving by the american and european society , since a long time ago ! and lebanon has became more messed up than ever , it’s like … we love american life style SO MUCH and we are trying to copy it ! but always failing at most of the points ! society in here is close minded , my countrymen believe that they’r open minded but in fact they’r not .. in fact all arabic people are the most close minded people ! i am talking in general .. but there are exeptions for every arabic country ! so what we want is more war and suffering , in order to accomplish other countries goals :)

Flag Post
i am a muslim thou and the conflicts between sunni and shiites is man made

is there such a conflict though? from what i gathered from sources i don’t know how reliable they are, is that it’s more about either regionalism vs nationalism, or about fundamentalism vs secularism.

Flag Post

@omegaDoom it’s a really difficult story for me to tell actually but here is something interesting
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1924116,00.html

Flag Post

thanks, that is interesting. i wasn’t aware of any of that.

from that i would gather i’d side with the Shi’ites for sure, but that source might give a Shi’ite perspective.

religion of peace eh?

Flag Post

actually i am a sunni hehe .. and i dont side with none … i believe in koraan and allah :) .. if you are willing to understand what i mean , our religion is peacful indeed … god created us with choices .. not with something forced to do … the conflicts in our religion is nothing more than a tool manipulated by other sources in order to get their incomes as i mentioned in my 1st post :) … of course no one will understand any of this … unless they are truly living in the arabic poor country corners of the worlds … everything else that u see hear and even try to think about is a decoy in order to let you foreign country’s have a bad idea about our religions and i gave you this site on purpose .. cause i knew that your gonna judge rapidly … but you still havent read anything about anything … no offense my friend but koraan is the last book the one that god and even jesus said to follow ! i wont go deeper with this .. i dont want any harsh feelings about it .. but if ur willing to listen i will gladly tell u ! everything i know

Flag Post
cause i knew that your gonna judge rapidly

so what definitive judgements have i made?

but “religion of peace” is a big claim to make when it devides people in two factions that seem by your source to’ve been in an eternal war with eachother for almost fifteen centuries and counting.

…will people ever realise that all religion is is a failed attempt at creating what we now have as the United Nations, and will they ever just call it obsolete?

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:
cause i knew that your gonna judge rapidly

so what definitive judgements have i made?

but “religion of peace” is a big claim to make when it devides people in two factions that seem by your source to’ve been in an eternal war with eachother for almost fifteen centuries and counting.

…will people ever realise that all religion is is a failed attempt at creating what we now have as the United Nations, and will they ever just call it obsolete?

Now that’s a bill of goods. 1. Not all religions even claim to be universal; most don’t. 2. The goal of most religions isn’t global dialogue or world peace. 3. The UN is of dubious merit, massively corrupt and inefficient.

To the OP, peace in the Middle East is not likely in the near future. The US is contemplating war against Iran and/or Syria. The undemocratic (or worse) but relatively stable regimes that “play ball” with the US have been toppled or are being undermined, and Israel/Palestine is a gigantic cloud hanging over everything. No one knows what will emerge from the mess; but I don’t expect Jeffersonian republicanism. Probably the usual volatile mixture of tribalism, nationalism, fundamentalism, “pan-Arab” and “pan-Islamist” sentiments will keep things interesting.

There are massive amounts of oil found elsewhere, but serious problems in the Middle East will still raise prices significantly. There’s even plenty of oil in the US, but we aren’t prepared to extract and refine it sufficiently to make up the loss of Middle Eastern oil anytime soon (might take a decade or so; and that’s if the environmentalists don’t stop it).

Flag Post
The US is contemplating war against Iran and/or Syria.

I wouldn’t say so. Without a spark to ignite or a cowboy to fight, the US will be content to attempt to leave Iraq 2 years behind schedule. We don’t have a 9/11 to pin on this event, and with the US tolerance of Muslims or anything in the Middle-East right now, it would be hard to convince the right or even the middle to care about anything except our own wounded economy right now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

Are you saying the UN is the best we have? You actually think they are a good organization? Surely you are just teasing us.

Flag Post

only Americans think hte UN is not a good organisation, because they consider themselves above the UN. everyone else knows that the UN does far more good than bad (which is why all countries save Western Sahara and Palistina (because idiots banned them) are a member of it).

if you want an evil, corrupt globalist organisation, take a look at the World Bank.

Flag Post

Describe the definition of peace. Three things could happen which would settle the Middle East situation: A harsh dictatorship conquering everyone else, or the removal of all dictatorships and anything close to that, and the establishment of anything at least sub-democratic in all countries with or without some organization to hold them all together. I don’t really have anything for the last two questions, though.

Flag Post

Omega – Only the UN could have countries like China and Pakistan head “Councils on Human Rights” without it being some kind of sick satire. I’m not going to hold my breath waiting for them to really solve human rights problems.

On the other hand, you’re completely correct that the World Bank is evil, corrupt and globalist. It’s not “only Americans who think that” because we “think we’re above it.” The IMF and the UN fit that description as well.

Flag Post

well at least it’s something. you’d rather not have an effort to solve human rights?

the irony you reflect upon only tells us the state of the world isn’t great. tell me, which countries would you like to see heading such a council?
not the US i’m sure.