Middle East, wars and oil page 2

30 posts

Flag Post

If you follow my posts, you know I’m one of the biggest critics of US policies. There is no country I want to see heading international human rights councils, though the UN manages to find the worst ones to do it.

As with many things, I’m with Rothbard on this question. “Human rights may be universal, but enforcement must be local.” Attempts to impose democracy or whatever else passes for “human rights” (the UN comes up with “rights” that are completely whacky) by force from the outside, whether it’s a US or a UN invasion, is bound to have very serious negative consequences. The meddling will generally do more harm than good. It’s far better for every country to attempt to improve themselves and lead by example, rather than imposition.

Flag Post

not sure if i agree with that. point is, that usually, countries can only be sent to war with other countries if they violate the human rights of their citizens first.

better to help citizens control their government than having to kill them in war.

Flag Post

Every country violates the human rights of their citizens. International busybodying with the aim of forcing every country to abide by “human rights” will have no limits; the situation historian Charles Beard called “Perpetual war for perpetual peace.”

Flag Post

I can’t believe that I haven’t posted something cynical on this thread yet, oh well.
To start off, in my opinion peace in the ME is only achieveable with a number of conditions and saying that it’s achieveable in the first place is a stretch.
One, Israel needs to stop screwing around on the world stage and give the Palestinians a country already (that means that the US (my own country) needs to stop delaying Palestinian statehood).
Two, regime change in Iran is a must, whilst Israel and Iran are at each other’s throats peace is not possible because we all know it’s only a matter of time before Israel bombs Iran, with or without US permission. Here’s a link to Jeffrey Goldberg’s article for The Atlantic on that: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/the-point-of-no-return/8186/
Three, the rest of the world needs to find another source of energy or the wells run dry (whichever comes first), we wouldn’t even be worrying about the economic impact of Israel’s (our) upcoming war with Iran if we didn’t use foreign oil. However, because a lot of the world’s oil flows through the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran has threatened to close, we have to worry about gas going to $5/gallon.
Four, if the Jews and Muslims really want the best for their children/peace they need to recognize that they’re really fighting over who has the better imaginary friend/who’s version of history is better. In any case, a pretty stupid thing to fight over.

Notes: I’m a cynical American who really doesn’t believe in the possibility of peace in the Middle East or at least permanent peace with Israel in the picture. However I do support Israel but believe that their settlement building needs to stop along with their continuing denial of Palestinian statehood.

Flag Post

I believe that when oil reaches its peak price, it will plummet, but I think oil will plummet this time not because of that theory.

I believe that the war in the Middle East will either end or grow to the point where one side completely breaks, which will still mean the end of the war. When it ends, the resulting peace will cause the Middle East to start trading in oil more, which increases the supply of oil and thus reduces its price. The rise of clean energy will probably keep it in check, until clean energy becomes so powerful oil is obsolete.

IMO, oil is going high, but it should enjoy its high status in the world’s market while it lasts, because it will never get up again.

Also another reason why I think you shouldn’t invest in oil, unless you believe you can predict the peak point and are planning to sell oil during that time.