Friends in the Digital Age

8 posts

Flag Post

With all of these Social Networking sites, its pretty easy to have so called “friends.” Now is this a good thing?

Now, when I say friends i mean real friends, im not talking about the people on facebook with 2,000 friends, and worry that there not friends with there grandma’s, best friend’s, cousin’s, dog. I mean the people who talk with there internet buddies, every day, they know them well, they ask them for advice, and talk to them about stuff that’s bothering them, just like real life friends.

I for one, have friends on one of these Social networking sites (for sake of avoiding arguments, I wont say) and on this site, I have 7 friends, just 7, but I know them well, and they know me well, even though we have never met in real life.

I’ll go to them for advice, and help them with their problems. It gives me someone to talk to when Im bored. We make each other laugh (or lol?) and we have some pretty good times together, over the internet. Plus, I like to tell people what i’ve been up to, and to sort of brag about my acomplishments.

To me this is a good thing, it helps those who arn’t that good at making friends in the real world, have some people to talk to.

Flag Post

it’s a way to make a purely intellectual connection. because that’s all you know about one-another.

it’s a form of voluntary telepathy, really.

Flag Post

Alex—I have 200-something friends on my Facebook, but they’re all friends I’ve known in real life or had some relationship with online (like college classmates). I agree with you about the people who add everyone and anyone, and end up with thousands of people they don’t know. That’s kind of dumb.

Although, FB and other social networking is a great place to stay in touch, especially if you want to keep up with the person without talking to them on a regular basis. I keep a lot of my Air Force friends this way. You might, too—think about everyone from your workplace, TDY’s, even commanders, that you might want to hang onto this way. It’s a good resource.

Flag Post

Friends are friends. Whether you meet them or not, you have things in common that bond you two together.

Flag Post

Friends are people who give advice, you talk to for fun and pick you up (metaphorically) when you’re down. Whether you may never see this person, a friend is a friend.

You just have more possibilites with IRL friends.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrOctaganapus2:

Friends are people who give advice, you talk to for fun and pick you up (metaphorically) when you’re down. Whether you may never see this person, a friend is a friend.

You just have more possibilites with IRL friends.

Second.

Flag Post

There’s actually some Dutch people I met on Kongregate with which I now sometimes meet up to do fun stuff. And there’s some people from all over the world with which I have frequent contact on messenger programs. So, I consider both types to be “friends” as well (whether or not others disagree, it’s semantics any way). Sure, I won’t physically meet with them as much as with my friends from around here, but that doesn’t mean we don’t connect.

Flag Post

funny: my causin had such an internet friend, a girl in the US. he actually went over there to see her. they didn’t like eachother and it ruined the intimiate chat contact they had, and also he married her mother.

(true story)