The Vietnam War: Survey

11 posts

Flag Post

I know that in the war, there were many terrible things that happened. I know that the united states didn’t win the war. I also know that the war was hard on the soldiers. For example, in vietnam there were land mines and you didn’t know whether or not the next step you took would be your last. Not to mention that the villagers didn’t even like the U.S. soldiers. Then when the soldiers came home, the public was angry with them. Baby killer some of them were called, among other things. My two main questions is this:

1. Was the war worth it?
2. Do you think that the soldiers deserve the ridicule they received when they got home, even though they went through hell?
3. On a scale of one to ten, one being not at all and ten being extremely, how touchy is this subject and should I continue this forum?

Please note that if this subject is too painful for anyone to talk about, then you don’t have to. Also, ABSOLUTELY NO SWEARING!
The forum starts now.

Oh I forgot. If anyone wants to add on info about the war feel free to do so.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rubixcube7:

1. Was the war worth it?

Depends on how you define “worth it.”

2. Do you think that the soldiers deserve the ridicule they received when they got home, even though they went through hell?

Personally, not really.

3. On a scale of one to ten, one being not at all and ten being extremely, how touchy is this subject and should I continue this forum?

This again depends on who’s talking about what, since someone who has know someone in the war or was in it might be a little more sensitive than someone who doesn’t.

Also, ABSOLUTELY NO SWEARING!

Well, fuck.

The thread starts now.

Fix’d.

Flag Post

No, war was not worth it.
No soldiers did not deserve ridicule
I’d say a 2 for me.. but a N’am vet may think difrently

Flag Post

1. No
2. No
3. 2, but as Alex said, a vet would rate it higher

Flag Post

I have to agree with Alex. The Vietnam War was not actually a war. We were there on an advisory mission. Obviously, no one told the N. Vietnamese. It was political as every war since Korea has been.

I am Vietnam era, but I was Air Force so I never went into Vietnam. Instead, I went to Korea and Okinawa. However, some of my family did go to Vietnam. A lot of my friends also went and many of them never come home or were not the same when they came back. My Uncle Tom was in three conflicts during his career, but when he came home from Vietnam, his hair had turned snow white.

Did people treat them bad when they came back? Terribly. The not only called them baby killers, but the spit on them. Even now they can’t always get help from the VA. Some could never return to a normal life and still live on the streets. they were honorable and deserved more. I just buried one of my brother-in-laws who died of pancreatic cancer, a side effect of Agent Orange. a couple of years ago. It bothered me because we are the same age, or would have been. He did finally get help toward the end, but not until he got cancer.

The government never took care of them when they came home. The soldiers that had the misfortune of experiencing Agent Orange have suffered greatly and most of them have died of strange illnesses.

Being a veteran of that era, along with friends and family, we have talked among ourselves about some of the experiences over there. It was a way to ease the burden of some of the atrocities and their effects. I will give you one story and that is all.

One of my brother-in-laws (I will call him by his name, Lloyd) was in a firefight with his platoon. His Sargent had sent him forward and they got ambushed. They were pinned down and Lloyd was pinned behind a tree. They called for an air strike. In an air strike you signal your platoon with colored smoke when they have arrived. The Sargent transmitted what color to look for…a no-no. When the choppers arrived the NVA set off that color smoke and the choppers opened up on our soldiers. Lloyd was shot in, well, the butt with a one of the rounds. It entered his hiney, traveled down his leg and exited his calf.

He was waiting a ride to the medical unit. When the medivac arrived, he let another soldier go in front of him because he was in worse shape. While they were loading the soldier some napalm exploded on the hill and threw the chopper sideways, it’s rotors hitting the tree. The co-pilot was ejected out and came down the tree on his face. Lloyd told me his face was gone when he hit the ground. He asked Lloyd for a drink of water, took a sip, and passed.

Don’t ask for citations on this story because this is what my brother-in-law told me. It was one of his experiences and I doubt he will talk to anyone else about it,

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Even now they can’t always get help from the VA.

I think they can. The VA’s in the process of doing reparations and performing outreach, even so far as backpaying PTSD for all prior years.

Flag Post

They are a little late for Billy Joe.

Flag Post

I hope they can help his family now, at least.

Flag Post

It wasn’t worth it, in the sense that the results did not merit the sacrifices involved.

The soldiers, generally speaking, did not deserve bad treatment. LBJ, McNamara, Nixon, and the others who propagandized for the war, expanded it, and extended it deserve hell (both figuratively and literally). You could blame the soldiers for not dodging the draft, refusing to fight, and so on; but that’s holding them to an extraordinary standard. Most of those drafted were very young, the propaganda machine was going full-steam, public support for the war was very high at the time (80% range iirc; the public turned against it only later). It would take a lot to take a stand against that and face the criminal punishment, social pressure, and everything else. I believe I’m informed and educated enough on the topic now that I would have refused to fight; but I couldn’t have said that when I was 18.

It’s a pretty sensitive subject for veterans, but I think we must talk about it. The same is true for Iraq and Afghanistan now – it’s hard to criticize when there are still people being killed and maimed. However, criticize it we must. If we refrain, we will be at war continually – as we have been for the last 10 years. It’s not enough to only turn against war after the veterans die off; that’s always too late.

Most conservatives are pretty reliable supporters of war partly because it goes along with their patriotic, nationalist, and law-and-order-with-an-iron-fist sentiments. Most liberals are unreliable opponents of war – look at how few are holding Obama’s feet to the fire for his attack on Libya, his expansion of the Afgan war, and other aggressions. Many liberals only oppose wars if Republicans start them, or if the UN doesn’t approve.

To understand why we should oppose war, I highly recommend the books and articles (many available online) of people like Robert Higgs, Tom Woods, John Denson, Justin Raimondo, and Murray Rothbard. Some essays of theirs (and others) are in the collection “The Costs of War” free here http://library.mises.org/books/John%20V%20Denson/The%20Costs%20of%20War%20Americas%20Pyrrhic%20Victories.pdf

Flag Post

1.)It was to stop Connuisum From spreading to s.vietnam,So yes,I think it was wroth it.
2.)The did not deserve The treatment they got,The dang hippes Hated them becuase they"Wanted to join the war",THEY WERE DRAFTED!THEY HAD NO CHOICE!So No,They did not deserve the treatment they got,
3.)Yes,Please keep this disussion going.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AirmanAlex:

No, war was not worth it.

Originally posted by Bobneson:

1.)It was to stop Connuisum From spreading to s.vietnam,So yes,I think it was wroth it.