Two Black Holes

37 posts

Flag Post

I know this has about 0% chance of happening, but what if 2 EXACTLY the same size black holes appear right next to each other and they have the same density, mass, etc. What would happen? Would they collide and make one giant black hole that literally is so strong it sucks in the milky way? What do you think would happen and why would you think so?

Flag Post

Don’t we have another thread just below on this?

Flag Post

They’d collide and become a bigger black hole.

The only incredibly improbable part of this is that the two black holes are completely equal in mass. Black holes will merge with each other on rare occasion, but one’s usually bigger and thus absorbs the other.

That said, we don’t really understand everything about a black hole, just that it’s an area with such a strong gravitational pull that not even light escapes. For all we know the only part that exists could be the size of a marble.

Flag Post
For all we know the only part that exists could be the size of a marble.

it would probably have no size at all. the black hole is a phenominon caused by an extreme center of gravity. EVERYTHING is sucked in by this extreme center of gravity, as there is no way anything could move in any direction not leading to that center of gravity.

therefor, logically, it has to have no size at all. all movements are inwards, with all mass collapsed or infinitely collapsing into one coordinate.

Flag Post

OD
The problem with your statement is, that under rising pressure, radiation also increases, effectively reducing the mass into energy.
Thus, there must be some balance point, at which the amount of emitted energy equals the amount of mass getting absorbed.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Shut up, History Channel said Steven Hawking said that that’s what’s supposed to happen!

Flag Post

radiation still has mass, somebody. it just, normally, shoots away from an object. but it can’t shoot out of a black hole, logically. the Hawking radiation probably does not originate from inside the event horizon.

aslo i don’t see how your comment relates to what i said in this thread.

Flag Post

OD
Gamma-rays have mass?
Or photons?
Yeah, they have “gravitational” EFFECTS, but do they “consist” of MATTER, not ENERGY? Hmmm…
My point is, if the entire center of a black hole is from such “weird” matter (which isn’t strictly MATTER), wouldn’t it affect it’s physical properties too?
I see now, where I could be wrong, cause I assumed that “massless” photons DON’T affect other objects gravitationally, while they DO…
The question remains though, are there any serious changes happening…

Flag Post

im not scientist but wouldent the black holes cancel one another out to the point were they battle one another wasting energy til both become non exixtent and nothing would have been sucked in

Flag Post
Originally posted by mooner2105:

im not scientist but wouldent the black holes cancel one another out to the point were they battle one another wasting energy til both become non exixtent and nothing would have been sucked in

If two people both equal in everything are pulling a rope what happens?

Flag Post
Gamma-rays have mass?
Or photons?

that’s the same thing. but yeah, ok, photons are considered massless so long as they are freely moving. if they are absorbed, they do contribute mass.

what happens in a black hole? i don’t see how it can keep moving at that speed in an infinitesimally small space. whatever photon radiation is produced, i’d say is immediately absorbed. but this we cannot know.

in fact we don’t know anything about what happens inside. quite possibly it all breaks down into completely different particles, into quarks and stuff. no idea what that could do.

but personally, i suspect photons only appear or behave like massless particles because of their notorious speed somehow interfering with the normal gravitational effects.

no. blackholes are not an effect of energy but of gravity. you can’t waste gravity.

Flag Post

There’s a video of Neil deGrasse Tyson answering this very question for a young boy at some sort of Q&A session. He doesn’t actually directly answer the question until the very end of the video, but he gives some interesting information about the weird stuff that happens when black holes collide, and the entire explanation is a pretty good level for this discussion.

Here you go

Flag Post

If they are close in mass, then I would imagine the intrum would be a gravity well of which each other black hole would absorb one another, the intrum would literally stretch reality and cause another force to form in place.

Enough said;
Two wrongs make three.

Flag Post

According to The Universe on H2 when this happens the two black holes become one.

Flag Post

If they are close in mass, then I would imagine the intrum would be a gravity well of which each other black hole would absorb one another, the intrum would literally stretch reality and cause another force to form in place.

Enough said;
Two wrongs make three.

When two objects collide it typically has to do with momentum(mv) And because of the sheer gravitional forces produced by the black holes, the collision would be inelastic, resulting in the masses adding. In astronomy it is widely believed that black holes collide all the time, because of their attraction to other massive objects

Flag Post
Originally posted by Epsilon_Omega:

Enough said;
Two wrongs make three.

When two objects collide it typically has to do with momentum(mv) And because of the sheer gravitional forces produced by the black holes, the collision would be inelastic, resulting in the masses adding.
In astronomy it is widely believed that black holes collide all the time, because of their attraction to other massive objects

Black hole collisions are actually exceedingly rare. The only black holes that astronomers are confident actually exist are the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies. Contrary to what you may think of black holes if you watch a lot of SciFi, they don’t just go sucking everything up, either. Instead, the galaxy orbits about the central black hole, and very little matter actually falls into it. When there is matter falling into supermassive black hole, it is called “active” (because the matter falling into a black hole releases special kinds of radiation as it accelerates inwards.) Very few of the galaxies we can see in the sky have active nuclei.

Really the only way for two black holes to collide, then, is in a galactic merger. Galactic mergers aren’t super rare, but they are a multi-billion year process. The thing about black hole interactions is that the actual moment of their collisions are very, very quick. They spend most of the time in the galactic merger orbiting each other until they collide or one black hole catapults the other into the vacuum of intergalactic space. So when we look in the sky for the small fraction of galaxies that are currently colliding, in very, very few (if any) of them can we actually see the black holes merging. When they do merge, the physics is actually super complicated (check out the video I posted earlier.) The classical Newtonian physics you mentioned about elastic versus inelastic collisions actually has nothing to do with it; it’s a complicated general relativistic matter.

Flag Post

Originally posted by Yreval:

Sorry,I came to that deduction for the reason that Super-massive black holes may be in the center of our galaxy. The only possible reason for those to form is through a lot of collissions. Meaning at some time frame of our universe there was A lot of black hole collisions. (if you take into account the other pinwheel galaxies"

Flag Post
Originally posted by Indy111:
Originally posted by mooner2105:

If two people both equal in everything are pulling a rope what happens?

Rope burn.

Flag Post

I would think some catastrophic event for sure. But Im not entirely sure what.

Flag Post

Enough said;
Two wrongs make three.

When two objects collide it typically has to do with momentum(mv) And because of the sheer gravitional forces produced by the black holes, the collision would be inelastic, resulting in the masses adding.
In astronomy it is widely believed that black holes collide all the time, because of their attraction to other massive objects

I do believe they would conjoin, I’m just pondering the possibilities before the collision.

Flag Post

Enough said;
Two wrongs make three.

Indeed. It is the same with fat people. They get married all the time because of their attraction to other massive objects.

Flag Post

Originally posted by Yreval:

Sorry,I came to that deduction for the reason that Super-massive black holes may be in the center of our galaxy. The only possible reason for those to form is through a lot of collissions. Meaning at some time frame of our universe there was A lot of black hole collisions. (if you take into account the other pinwheel galaxies"

Perhaps. It’s not clear to me that the formation of a supermassive black hole should occur from the collision of many stellar-sized black holes rather than the accretion of “normal” mass at the center of a forming galaxy. In fact, the lack of evidence for a significant population of stellar (“mid-sized”) black holes in the observable universe makes me tend for the latter explanation.

It’s true that the death of very high mass stars (say 10 or 20 solar masses) should result in stellar black holes, but I can’t think of any reason objects from star forming regions of the galaxy should move from their orbits to the center of the galaxy (sure, some might get catapulted through interaction with other objects… but not many. Remember that a galaxy is mostly empty space.) Not to mention you really need that central black hole in order to develop the density waves (spiral arms) of galaxies where most stars (especially the high-mass stars that become black holes) are formed.

Flag Post

I HAVE NO CLUE

Flag Post

I have 2 ideas. 1: They collide and cause some sort of supernova. or 2: They collide making a bigger black hole.