Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 30

815 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by cesarcurado:

This quote is stupid.
Either stabbing in the back or front, you will still die, or will get wounded badly.

So,
ALL of YOUR true friends are going to totally, ALWAYS, absolutely AGREE with YOU?
Do YOU not think that there just might be a few areas of “disagreement” that could very well “produce” some “conflicting” prioities that might result in a friend finding themself in the highly undesirous position of having to do a particular “harm” to ya?

Ya really need to stop looking at these quotes in a LITERAL sense.

Flag Post

I’m fairly sure he knows he’s not supposed to take these quotes literally and is doing it anyways in an attempt to be humorous.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokarnor:

I’m fairly sure he knows he’s not supposed to take these quotes literally and is doing it anyways in an attempt to be humorous.

Not really, on the other meaning of it, it is still a offence and shall not be tolerated.
At least by me, the others can do anything, even die in a hole.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokarnor:

And here I was “farily sure” that this was a SERIOUS discussion forum.
Damn.

But, below is an example of why I say this poster either understands extreeeeemly little of the issues being discussed here….
OR, his trolling DOES NOT belong here.

Originally posted by kevinmitnick:

equality is totally sexist, women need to have priviliges because of the opression from the past

If by “privileges” you mean making me a sandwich, then I agree with you.

Flag Post

New quote, something fitting for today.

“If you could only love enough, you could be the most powerful person in the world.”

~Emmet Fox

Happy Valentines Day!

Flag Post

this quote makes no sense

how loving makes ppl rich and stuff

Flag Post

this quote makes no sense

how loving makes ppl rich and stuff

YOUR concept of “power” is very saddening.

The quote is simply understood:

Love is building…
Hate is destroying…

Which brings me to the obvious,
a person who hates enough can also be extreeeemly “powerful”.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

New quote:

“Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.”

~Euripides

Flag Post

answer nothing hahah this guy would fail uni so bad

Flag Post
Originally posted by kevinmitnick:

answer nothing hahah this guy would fail uni so bad

You’re missing the point…

Flag Post

that in the act of asking a question, you open yourself to more ideas then if you were to answer a existing one.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

“Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.”

~Euripides

Okay, Dartval….this one is interesting,,,,probably because it certainly is very likely open to many interpretations—even the childish ones. LOL

Here’s my take:

Question EVERYTHING: at the very least, don’t BLINDLY “accept” things presented to ya…even by those who ya luv & respect. After all, they are their own persons and you are your own. Thereby, we have a “built in” self-interest bias that should be constantly (questioned?) taken into account.

Even when we are talking about our loved ones, our “questioning” their motives DOES NOT HAVE TO BE of a negative nature. How else are we able to fully appreciate their gift-of-love if we also just “blindly accept it”. Again, questioning shouldn’t be seen only as a negative.

Learn something: Well, this part pretty well speaks for itself. Life is one long, connected process of learning. The more we learn, the more we understand,,,, the more we understand, the more we are able to appreciate,,,,the more we are able to appreciate,,,the more love all around us will be apparent….thus making for one helluva a great life.

Answer nothing: This one is likely the most enigmatic of the three. I see it as meaning being somewhat analogous to one of the Murphy’s Laws: If everything is going right … something is wrong. OR, my favorite: If you think ya have everything COMPLETELY under control…ya don’t fully understand the situation.

In this, I’m saying that—most highly likely—one shouldn’t feel they have fully, completely “answered” the question. There is ALWAYS more that can be applied to the search for said answers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

In this, I’m saying that—most highly likely—one shouldn’t feel they have fully, completely “answered” the question. There is ALWAYS more that can be applied to the search for said answers.

It’s even worse than that. Every time you find the answer to your original inquiry, you also open up more questions. These are either side-topics born from the methodology you used to answer your inquiry, or new questions which your answer itself opens up.

So in this way you do answer nothing: Everything you answer just generates more questions. The more you answer, so the more questions you are left with.

This is in part where the phrase “The more you know, the more you realise the less you know” comes from. Answers beget questions like hydra heads.

Flag Post

Question Everything: WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Some things that are insignificant, do not affect you, and are widely accepted, and generally have a minimal chance of being incorrect do not have to be questioned.
Such a task would be excessive on the thought processes and nothing would get done.
IMPROVEMENT: Question whatever is significant to you, greatly affects you, and has a chance of changing a lot for you if you question it.

Learn Something: WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONNNNNNG.
Just kidding, this part is right.

Answer nothing: WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONNNNNG
Ok, this contradicts the second portion of it. If this quote applies to every human, then everyone has to learn something.
This means they learn from their own experiences, or share their experiences by answering questions so that knowledge can be transferred. JUST LIKE THIS FORUM.
SO THAT IS WRONG.
MODIFICATION: Don’t answer stupid stuff.

So all in all: Here is the improved quote; Here you guys go]\[ “{Question whatever is significant to you, greatly affects you, and has a chance of changing a lot for you if you question it. Learn something. Don’t answer stupid stuff.”

Flag Post

I question EVERYTHING ya just said….even tho most of it was insignificant. LOL
I find those who so very BLINDLY accept to be little more than mere sheep and very dull.
There actually is significance in even the smallest of things.
That is if one knows where to look.
OH,,,and HOW to seek.

Flag Post
I find those who so very BLINDLY accept to be little more than mere sheep and very dull.

WRONG WRONG WRONG interpretation.
If you’re going to go about your day questioning:
“Why does the sink provide water?”
“Why do computers work?”
“How does the transit system balance gasoline costs with customer fees?”
ETC ETC ETC
You’re going to have NO TIME to think about MORE IMPORTANT things.
For example, each of those questions, while having interesting answers and can be significant to some — can be insignificant to you.
Your time is BETTER SPENT asking yourself relevant questions such as “What tasks do I need to complete today?”
“What are my current goals and how am I aiming for them?”
“Are my boss’s orders acceptable or should I face him about them?”
THOSE KINDS OF THINGS should be questioned, not like some philosophical nut who raves at everything for every source.
I would rather BLINDLY accept and be a sheep to my sink providing me water when I need it, the bus accepting a low fee to get me somewhere, the computer allowing me internet access, and FOCUS on IMPORTANT THINGS like MY LIFE than anything else.
I find those who QUESTION EVERYTHING to be silly, because they are just reducing their efficiency.

CORRECT CORRECT CORRECT.
But you have prioritize significance.
You can not ponder every minuscule thing and get through with life.
That is if one knows where to look.
OH,,,and HOW to seek.

You MISINTERPRET.
The real deal,,,
is …..
WHAT TO SEEK.
You miffmafferate about all the tidbits of how and must when that is all known, we must know WHAT to seek. LOL.

Flag Post

Statistics, Statistics, Statistics:
World Population in 2011: 6,973,738,433
Randomly Generated Questions:
1) What is your name?
2) What do you do?
3) What makes you happy?
If you ask all 6,973,738,433 people these questions, that is a total of: 20921215299 Questions.
Let’s say life expectancy is 80 years.
So that is 261515191 Questions a year.
716479 a day.
29853 an hour.
497 a minute.
8 a second.
So to answer all these questions, you need to be asking 8 Questions a second, your entire life.
And that’s not even the whole human population, nor the full extent of possible questions, and completely disregards all philosophical/scientific/mathematical/etc questions.
So essentially: IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO QUESTION EVERYTHING WITH THE HUMAN MIND.

So what does this mean?
We have to isolate the important questions — the ones that are relevant to us and significant to us — and answer those.
So even if:

THERE IS NO FUNDAMENTAL POINT IN PURSUING ALL OF THEM.

There, solid, perfect statistics declaring you WROOOOONG.
The person who questions what is necessary, rather than being a blind sheep, is more like a guided laser — he/she answers and questions what needs to be done — towards their destination.
So the one questioning everything, you, IS A BLIND SHEEP BUH BUH BLIIIIIND!~!!~~!!~!!#$%$@###..,,rf,hj;hjk/

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vengeance007:

WRONG WRONG WRONG interpretation.
If you’re going to go about your day questioning:
“Why does the sink provide water?”
“Why do computers work?”
“How does the transit system balance gasoline costs with customer fees?”
ETC ETC ETC
You’re going to have NO TIME to think about MORE IMPORTANT things.

Importance is in the eye of the boholder. You might not think those things are important, but others do.

Questions such as “How does the signal split in the stratum actually affect the generation of movement choices?” It might not seem important to you, but such questions are very important to others, such as myself.

Its best to question the role of everything in this feedback circuit. By doing so, we will undoubtedly learn something. We will answer that initial enquiry in the end, of course. However, as Dartval’s quote says, we won’t really answer anything by doing so.

What will actually occur, is we will generate a whole host more questions; more questions than we had when we started looking into this issue. This is why you answer nothing; every answer you find, just begets more questions – it is incomplete, and the incompleteness itself just generates more avenues to pursue.

Does that make sense to you now?

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

“You Must question everything.
You Must learn as much as you Can.
If Caught, you Must not answer any Question.
Now give me a hu ha sargeant.
Son, what is your name?”
“Pfc Pike sargeant!”
“What I just told you?
Son, if George mofoing Washington asks you a question, you will not answer it.
A ranger never answers a question.
Son, there a re people in this world who will question you for no other reason then a question came in their damn mind.
Where I grew up people will question you just because they can do you want to grow up in such a place? "
“No, sargeant!”
“Are you implying something bad about the great state of Mississippi?”
“No, Sargeant!”

Flag Post

New quote:

“No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.”

~Voltaire

Flag Post

Aha, Dartval….a very good one.

First, let me say that this can be a yin-yang situation.
Snowflakes can also be seen as a source of positive: nourishment for life as water.

Since the yin-yang symbol is nothing more than the bell-curve-of-natural-distribution, we are talking about DEGREES…levels of responsibility, be they negative or positive.

True, NO INDIVIDUAL snowflake represents much at all in the way of a degree of influence.

HOWEVER, each & everything—as the completeness of yin-yang shows—is either a part of one or the other…..a part of the “solution or of the problem”,,,to SOME degree.

Flag Post

“No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.” ~ Voltaire

I think you should specify whether or not you mean the singer/songwriter or the French writer, considering both have got some fairly good philosophies. I know you are referring to Arouet, but I feel clarification is needed.

The quote is saying that no individual feels that they have any effect on the outcome of something regarding many individuals. I feel this could best be used in regards to an election, considering many people do not feel that their vote counts for anything. Another good example would be the fact that many people feel that their littering has no effect on the environment because “everyone is doing it”.

Flag Post

“No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.”

Kind of a companion to “Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing.” It’s saying that each individual constitutes a part of the masses, and the masses (avalanche) cause catastrophe. But no one individual says it’s their problem, because they don’t accept responsibility, or they think their part is insignificant.