Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 22

815 posts

Flag Post

No matter how badly you weaken something, it will always have the strength to fight back.

Flag Post

This quote would make more sense if it was something like this…

Cut off a wolf’s head, and the decomposing corpse still has the power to poison you with anthrax 5 days later.

Flag Post

New quote:

“You can’t just let nature run wild.”

~Walt Disney

Flag Post

The two terms are synonymous….

Flag Post

That quote is actually from Walter Joseph “Wally” Hickel.

I never understood statements like that. Without a context that clearly shows how free nature would lead to problems there is not much to it other than ignorance.
If I understood the original context of this quote correctly, it was said on the topic of hunting wolves. Seems like one of those cases of people fearing the big bad wolf that doesn’t exist anywhere than in fairy tales. In Germany wolves are starting to immigrate again. Some people want hunters to kill them because they allegedly pose a direct threat to their children on their way to school… Yeah… Right…

Flag Post

New quote:

“A wounded deer leaps the highest.”

~Emily Dickinson

Flag Post

call the strongest bluff.

Flag Post

Sorry, Dartval….I’m doing some catching up.

Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

“Cut off a wolf’s head and it still has the power to bite.”

~Hayao Miyazaki

Wolves (much like humans) are pack animals…
kill the leader and another takes its place.
This new one really isn’t all that much different than the old one.

All too often, killing the leader of an ideology merely serves to martyr him and make his quest all the more powerful.

New quote:

“You can’t just let nature run wild.”

~Walt Disney

I think the thought here is contextual…..a difference between “you” & nature.

Nature can AND DOES allow herself to run “wild”.
However, “you”—an entity within nature—will likely be much happier if nature is a little less wild,,,,in your area of it. Your survivability is likely to be much greater enhanced if ya are on the “top end” of: kill or be killed.

New quote:

“A wounded deer leaps the highest.”

~Emily Dickinson

A wounded deer pretty much now “knows the score”. It has been injured….its capacity to perform at maximum is reduced,,,,at least compared to leaping for “fun” or even when in less perilous situations.

NOW, the chips are down….his back is to the wall…it’s either swim or sink….it’s now ALL on the line. Even if the adrenalin didn’t kick in, ya just gotta know that deer is gonna dig down real deep and jump like he has NEVER done before…..if he has even an iota of survival instinct.

Flag Post

What if the deer’s injury is four broken legs?

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by Retneug:

What if the deer’s injury is four broken legs?

then it’ll sit down peacefully, waiting to be killed.

but it really is true: wounded deers jump the highest. they are pack animals so they do have safety in numbers, however quite often they are able to outrun any predator chasing them. only a cheetah runs faster, but the cheetah has less stamina so they even get away from a cheetah about half the time.

so, the deers start jumping, showing off their verility, and the cheetah tries to asses who the least verile deer is, that he has the most chance of catching. however, they don’t jump too vigorously, because they keep their strength in case they need to run, as they have a good chance to outrun the cheetah.

however, a wounded deer would realise it has very slim chances to outrun the cheetah, and has big chances to be targeted, so it’s jumping for it’s life.

Flag Post

AHA….Omega, keen insight there.
I like how ya bring up the concept of “display-of-least-vulnerability”…kool.
I do want to add to your predator “listing” by including lions, tigers, and wolves. Wolves actually work in tandem. They hunt so that it becomes a “relay”. One wolf gives chase and then “passes off” the prey to another wolf until the intended meal is wore down and easily caught.

AND, as for being “easily caught”, while the “deer family” is indeed quite fleet…there are those that are old, young, sick, dumb, maimed, naturally “slow”, etc. that are “easy pickin’s”.
This form of food chain is natures way of balancing itself so that a the very chain will survive so that each level of it will also survive.

While I have little stomach for watching that part of “nature documentaries” where the effects of hunger-vs-adrenalin are bloodily shown….I fully acknowledge this is simply a fact of life…and death.

Flag Post

hmm, turns out deers aren’t as fast as i thought. i think i got them confused with gazelle and/or antelope, which seem to be twice as fast.

never-the-less, running is a good option if it’s healthy. if they’re “easy pickin’s” they’ll have to bluff it off.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:

screw philosophy.

fools have all the fun.

come into the dark side.

You’re a fool now? What happened to your “higher level of intellect”?

Flag Post

People may do stuff just because they can, but put them in danger, and they’ll give it 110% to stay alive.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrOctaganapus2:

People may do stuff just because they can, but put them in danger, and they’ll give it 110% to stay alive.

Nicely stated, DocOc.
It truly is very reflective of the very essence of nature itself….including our own species.

At this point, I’d like to interject a bit of something that is somewhat related to what ya just said. A lot of ppl will do things…very “extravagant” (& foolish) things (HEYWATCH THIS) just because they can. However, upon finding out what the “price” can be for such behavior…..they tend to sloooooow down a notch or two.

Moral: Experience is a great teacher. BUT, her “price” can be quite high at times.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Good artists copy, great artists steal.”

~Pablo Picasso

Flag Post

I’d interpret it this way.
A good artists is good at using certain techniques.
A great artists makes them his own and perfects them, takes them to a totally new level to create things no one has ever thought about before.

Flag Post

a good artist copies a style. a great artist copies a style, then claims copyright.

good gamers pirate, great gamers rob the store.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

I’d interpret it this way.
A good artists is good at using certain techniques.
A great artists makes them his own and perfects them, takes them to a totally new level to create things no one has ever thought about before.

I agree with the sentiment but i would not limit it to technique. Themes and emotions are just other examples of things that can be copied or stolen.

Flag Post

A good student can find the facts off a website and use them. A great student will copy-paste the whole thing, and make so many minor edits it may as well be theirs.

So using ideas from others is good, but taking them, re-making and re-vamping them is amazing.

Flag Post

Wasn’t this quote endorsed by Steve Jobs in his earlier years, the ex-CEO of apple, the company known for suing a shitload of people and companies for copyright reasons?

Flag Post

While the two comparatives of “good” & “great” are of value here,,,
it is the “copy” & “steal” that should be greatly considered.

We can likely reasonably agree in the area of the former two.
The latter two is gonna be a lot more difficult.

I’m inclined to say that copy is pretty much just that.
Of course, I’m not talking Xerox….
just the many other areas that artists (or others in “creative” areas) can be very “similarly duplicated”….to whatever degree “possible” as far as differing assessments can be applied.

“Steal”?
Well, that one is gonna be argued long and likely fiercely.
I think we’re simply talking about degrees here, too.
Hell, maybe the concept of “steal” simply comes down to the “stealer” absolutely rejecting ANY “comparison” of his work to other artists because he wants to (ego problem?) feel that his offering is sooooooo “unique”. He is unable to see “copying” as a possibility….let alone “stealing”.

I think the older posters here have encountered this scenario and often, at the very least, WONDER if such strong denial is almost proof that such persons actually DO KNOW that they did “steal”. A kind of: methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Please bear w/ me here….I’m gonna go really “wide” here.
Let’s say that two song writers have written a song that is VERY similar,,,
yet neither EVER hear the others version.
This pretty much eliminates “copy” or “steal”.
However, the SAME “source-for-INSPIRATION” is likely shared by them,,,
particularly if they prefer the same genre of music.
Yeah, I know this is a stretch of the concept of copying & stealing being discussed here.
But, that said, might it not be seen that the two of them “copied or stole” from that same well of “inspirational” material….as in from “all other artists” they had listened to?

Sure, here I am again talking about degrees.
But, so is the quote being discussed.
My “degrees” there are very far out there in the world of “generalizations”.

In my defense on this degrees & generalizations, I offer:
“He Who Works with His Hands Is a Laborer. He Who Works with His Hands and His Head Is a Craftsman. He Who Works with His Hands and His Head and His Heart Is an Artist.”

Read into that what ya want.
But, for me….if ones art is coming from their heart,
I see that is being difficult to be called actual “stealing”.
It is also pretty much considered that the craftsman should be “copying” (blueprint, etc.)
The laborer is considered good if he can adequately follow the instructions of the craftsman (think the old world of apprenticeship).

So, a great artist really doesn’t “steal”.
It is the great craftsman-artist that copies.