Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 25

815 posts

Flag Post

New quote:

“We love but once, for once only are we perfectly equipped for loving.”

~Cyril Connolly

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

~Cyril Connolly

I’ve only fallen in love once, and it lasted for 3 years. After we split up earlier this year, it seemed like I would never even find a woman to be with again. I dated an old friend from highschool for a couple of months, didn’t feel love for her once, yet she wanted to get more serious and move in with me.

With my first relationship, the way I felt about the girl felt like true love, like it could never be broken. After that, and even still, I became determined to never give my heart out to another person again. Should I fall in love again, it wouldn’t feel complete to me I guess. I’ve always been thinking of the relationship I had for 3 years, and I doubt I will stop.

Flag Post

I disagree. Love isn’t romantic love if you ask me. But then it’s just a matter of defining it.

Flag Post

It’s a really eloquent way of saying something less eloquent—Once we’ve been screwed over, we have issues, and go on to the next relationship as damaged goods.

Flag Post

hmm…i rather think that he’s saying that if you truly love someone, you’re no longer equiped to love another, because that part of your soul will never be vacant again.

Flag Post

New quote:

~Cyril Connolly

What a gay talk

Flag Post

I’ll take it literally again!
Definition of love according to “define: love” on google.
“An intense feeling of deep affection”
Ask any American teenager going through many relationships whether they ‘feel’ that.
Therefore: False.

Perhaps a more trustworthy example would be your parent and your significant other.
You can have intense feelings of deep affection towards both, and therefore it is false.

Flag Post

Love is never the same as the first time.

Flag Post

New quote:

“To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.”

~Dorothy Thompson

Flag Post

If you overload the sensory neurons, they will burn out?

I doubt that’s what she meant, but its along a similar vein. If your experiences are intense, you close down to survive. You block out your perceptions as much as possible.

Flag Post

My take on it:

As in many things, comparing the extremes of something shows such a marked contrast that it easily makes the “point”. This likely is true to many of the “famous quotes”. And, even the “flavor” of most divisive topics right here on SD.

BUT, we might do well to remember that such extremes are more along the lines of: the exception doesn’t prove the rule (of the day). I.E., just because Kansas (tornado alley, et.al.) has come really bad tornadoes,,,,this doesn’t mean it is foolish to live here.

Okay, now to the quote:
A “feeling of too much” of something can be in, at the very least, (two extremes here), two areas….duration & intensity,,,,intensity being somewhat where vika’s “overload theory” goes.

Either of those can have a jaded effect in varying degrees on varying issues at varying times…etc. etc. etc. (< < King and I imitation…lol, a very good “touching-on” religion philosophy & class differences)

I suppose one could ameliorate that quote w/ the old saw: Moderation in all things. BUT, that isn’t the entire quote. Mark Twain adds So, ya see that a lot of quotes should likely be taken w/ a grain of salt….at least to the extent that one should look a little deeper into their meanings.

This is because I hold dear this quote: “All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.”
Alexandre Dumas (< < framed and hanging on the wall in my office…along w/ others that serve to keep me “grounded”.)

SO, just because feeling too much CAN RESULT in feeling nothing,,,,this doesn’t necessarily mean IT WILL HAPPEN. In fact, w/o good ol’ Dorothy there sheding a weeeebit more light on her thought there,,,I’d say the latter is much more the case. BUT, her quote certainly is good fodder-4-thought.

A glinpse of Dorothy’s thinking

PLUS, “we” are 3rd from the top

Flag Post

Incorrect.
If you feel nothing, then you feel something.
Because a feeling of nothing is a feeling that you can have.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAznSensation:

Incorrect.

Deep, man….deeeeeeep.
Yes, while nothing IS “something” in that it is a word…
that word means

Flag Post

New quote:

“A great man is always willing to be little.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Flag Post

Humility.

Okay done, next quote.

Flag Post

Disagree.
There are plenty of great man who would rather be tall than little.

Yes, while nothing IS “something” in that it is a word…

Since it can be qualified with a word, my type of logic has deemed it a ‘something.’
shrug

Flag Post

Azn, you are missing the point of the thread.

Flag Post

little man always willing to be great… aka napoleaon complex.

Flag Post

Azn, you are missing the point of the thread.

This is something he is “prone” to do:
Topic: Serious Discussion / Quote Discussion, Current quote: “To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.”
Incorrect.

Either he just luvs to troll YOUR quotes w/ oddly obtuse replies.
OR, he is extremely hung up on the concept that because “nothing” is a word….
THEN, it actually IS “something”.

Ergo, “little” to him JUST HAS TO BE the form he sees as applicable. He fails to make the connection between GREAT & “little” (small) as being qualitative as well as quantitative…..or simply opts to do so.

BUT, “irregardless”….tenco nailed this one.

Flag Post

Is Azn really missing the point of the thread? I find his/her disagreement with current quotes a refreshing change.

EDIT: And yes, I agree with the quote… It depends on how you define a “great man”. I define humility being part of it.

Flag Post

New quote:

“To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.”

~Dorothy Thompson

true for drug users, actually. once you’ve used too much drugs, you may never be able to feel any pleasure again.

New quote:

“A great man is always willing to be little.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

yes, humbly modest humility is a good trait to have. without it, you’ll always be a prick. like a good actor, that can or will only play heroic lead roles.

Flag Post

There are plenty of great man who would rather be tall than little.

The quote said “willing”, so what they would rather be is irrelevant. It’s about what they are willing to be.

Flag Post
The quote said “willing”, so what they would rather be is irrelevant. It’s about what they are willing to be.

There are plenty of great men who are unwilling to be little.
Consider great men whose careers are founded on the basis of being large; sumo wrestlers, for example, are renowned for greater mass — they would be unwilling to give up their esteem.
Therefore, if there is one arguably virtuous sumo wrestler, my argument is further supplemented.
Let me introduce you to Dagvadorj, an arguably virtuous sumo wrestler — regarding his philanthropic actions.
He would not be little. His weight founded his career and passion; it is his pride.

Flag Post

Wow, Azn…ya should be really proud of yourself because ya managed to go so far “off the reservation” to “win” some silly point about mostly NOTHING.

I well imagine that most any quote of merit could be made to look so pathetically inane.
The point is: WHY DO IT? What is the point of it?
The homily is meant to inspire some deep thinking IN A PARTICULAR DIRECTION….
that direction NOT BEING a journey into banal, absurd folly.

Perhaps YOU should start YOUR OWN thread about how words of wisdom can be distorted into meaningless mush. I actually do see merit in such an endeavor. It’s called satire and making puns. Why must YOU insist on tainting Dartval’s thread?

Dartval, if ya will…please give us a new quote.
Posters can always “leap-frog” a previous quote over the current one.

Flag Post

New quote:

“We adore chaos because we love to produce order.”

~M. C. Escher