Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 16

815 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

That quote doesn’t make sense at all.

I’m “right there w/ ya”, on that, hell-T.
PLUS, I’m hoping someone can come up w/ a weeeebit more rational presentation that makes what Faulkner said be something that wasn’t drug-induced….lol

Here’s my take. It will be in the form of another well-known saying: One doesn’t know how important something is until they no longer have it.

Time is (somewhat?) meaningless,,,,it is just a vehicle by which we travel “forward” in our life—unless the stopping of the “clock” means death—and when that “vehicle” develops a “problem//hitch”…THEN, we notice it (comes to life).

Let me make a metaphor that involves the operation of an automobile….more specifically and event that I often hear of. Driving along (in life) is just dandy..the “tick-tocking” is a hum that we grow accustomed to,,,to the point that we don’t even hear it, OR, we do hear it and it becomes a nice “beat” by which we subconscioiusly moderate our life. Likely, however, we couldn’t hear the hum of the engine if we wanted to because it is drowned out by the “loud music” of our "activities.

Even when the “check-engine” light comes on we manage to continue driving through life…. oblivioius to this TICK of the “clock-of-fate”. IT is when the engine craps out and our journey has some form—significant or small—of “interuption” that we notice our progression (measured by time for ALL OF US) has been impacted.

Here’s thought for ya “youngins”…
at age 66, I can tell ya that I am very well aware of each & every tick of the clock…lol
Please, make every second of YOUR lives be as significant as ya deem it to be for what YOU want out of it. This doesn’t mean that “wasting” time isn’t a “good” thing. It merely means that ya might wanna keep it in perspective to your overall picture of what ya want.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

Time for a new quote:

“Time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life.”

-William Faulkner

The OP has explained the quote rather well. Here’s my opinion. I believe “little wheels” is a metaphor for your average circuler clock. Excuse any bad spelling. I think william means that we tend to take time for granted to the point where it can become irrelivent as we are engrossed in our daily routines.

“only when the clock stops does time come to life” when you dont know what to do, activities become important and therefore you try to find something to use your time.

Also i think their is a more fictional interpritation to this quote. Pretty irrelivent but might aswell share. Time is pretty boring. If it was to stop around you it suddenly becomes a thing of interest in the eyes of the beholder. The whole world becomes like a picture in a camera or a snapshot of time. Now that is much more interesting isn’t it?

Flag Post

boby, all-N-all…..ya’re spot on.

I just want to address your little wheels metaphor concept.

I’ve seen your concept of “stopped time” in movies & commercial ads….pretty cool stuff.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Run away from greatness and greatness will follow you.”

-Abu Bakr

Flag Post

SHOULD work ideally.
Doubt it nowadays, though…
This would work in a society that appreciates true innate personal greatness, not the greatest advertisement one can achieve…

Flag Post

somebody,,,,perhaps if it were “updated” to say: “Run away from greatness and TRUE//GENUINE greatness will follow you”.

I think maybe…just maybe, the meaning of this quote is contained in the poem by Rudyard Kipling:

If

If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—-and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—-and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build’em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—-nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—-which is more—-you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Flag Post

Nice poem. :D

Flag Post

My version:

It is a matter of: FOCUS.

If ye focus on getting//being great….
that is what ye shall become….
but, likely very shallow & hollow.

If ya focus on doing things that ARE GREAT
w/ little worry about if the often insincere praise of “greatness” follows these endeavors….
THEN….a very worthy form of greatness shall be your reward.

Focus not on BEING great….
rather, focus on DOING great things.

Flag Post

i’d take it as the reverse:

if you ambiate (i have been granted the authority to create new words by the university of Oxford) greatness, you won’t achieve it.

Flag Post

I need some suggestions again to keep this going.

Flag Post

Chastity is its own punishment.

Flag Post

New quote:

“I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”

-Socrates

Flag Post

New quote:

-Socrates

Well,,,,Daaaayyaaaahhh. A truly intelligent person soon realizes that all that they know//have learned is but one grain of sand on all of the beaches of the world…..AND, that’s on a good day…lol.

I like it in the more “simplified” way: The more I learn, the more I realize that I don’t know.

A life-time of knowledge for a person….even a COLLECTIVE of generations of ppl & their civilizations is yet near “nothing” when compared to the enormity of the infinite.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

New quote:

-Socrates

Well,,,,Daaaayyaaaahhh. A truly intelligent person soon realizes that all that they know//have learned is but one grain of sand on all of the beaches of the world…..AND, that’s on a good day…lol.

I like it in the more “simplified” way: The more I learn, the more I realize that I don’t know.

A life-time of knowledge for a person….even a COLLECTIVE of generations of ppl & their civilizations is yet near “nothing” when compared to the enormity of the infinite.

Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

New quote:

-Socrates

Mhm i like to put it simply. The quote is saying you can never know everything because we are always learning new things regardless of age. The universe is simply too big to know it all.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Beware that you do not lose the substance by grasping at the shadow.”

-Aesop

Flag Post

New quote:

-Aesop

Meh. That would never happen in SD! ;D

Like the quote in all seriousness. A similar one I’ve heard, not as elegant: “Major in the majors and minor in the minors”

Flag Post

New quote:

-Aesop

I think I can “answer” this one by using another: All that glitters isn’t gold. It’s quite a bit “broader”….but the essence is there.

Flag Post

-Aesop

Theory vs. Action

Over analyze something, and it may escape your understanding;
think too long on an object, and you may ruin your chance to grasp it.

Flag Post

Don’t overthink something by trying to understand every little detail it has, or “grasp at the shadow”.

Flag Post

New quote:

“A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.”

-Muhammad Ali

Flag Post

New quote:

“A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.”

-Muhammad Ali

The whole purpose of life is to experience things. Good or bad. Every experience changes the way you view the world, your life, and life in general.

Flag Post

You have to accept the world is going to change, or else you will just be lost, trying to find the past.

Flag Post

I’m going to try to bring this back. Remember to give suggestions.

“Prey on the weak and you will survive, prey on the strong and you will live.”

-real world source unknown

Flag Post

New quote:

-Socrates

actually, that was what the Oracle told Socrates. she said (while unconscious or delirious on poisonous volcanic fumes, through male priest interpreters…) that he’s the wisest man of Greece, because he has no answers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

New quote:

-Socrates

actually, that was what the Oracle told Socrates. she said (while unconscious or delirious on poisonous volcanic fumes, through male priest interpreters…) that he’s the wisest man of Greece, because he has no answers.

What do you think abotu the current quote?