Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 18

815 posts

Flag Post

"Adults are obsolete children."

The word obsolete refers to antiquated or expired. I could rephrase this quote into better understandable form; "Adults are overgrown children"

In a way they are, by doing immature things just like little children but however, if one acts immature doesn’t mean all adults act immature. That’s incorrect logic. After all, adulthood also brings maturity and responsibility

Adults are capable to handle so many things responsibly unlike children so you can’t really call adults obsolete children. There is that side in each of us, even when we’re fully grown adults but that does not mean it’s our only side. The more explicated version of the quote would be;

"Each one of us has an 'obsolete children' side of personality, even when we're adults"

Flag Post

as a child i always used to hate adults, just all adults, so the child in me has to agree to that.

but i think it would suggest that being a child is fun, and once you’ve grown out, your only purpose is to allow the new generation of children to experience this.

but i didn’t have much fun as a child.

Flag Post

That means that an adult can be described as an old child. Adults do immature things, they goof around, but because they are more mature (for the most part) and they usually have too much work, they are obsolete, whereas a child can be free and (mostly) careless.

Flag Post

A child is a person between birth and puberty. After puberty, a person isn’t generally considered a “child”. Adults are not overgrown people who have not gone through puberty yet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Maik50:

"Adults are obsolete children."

The word obsolete refers to antiquated or expired. I could rephrase this quote into better understandable form; "Adults are overgrown children"

In a way they are, by doing immature things just like little children but however, if one acts immature doesn’t mean all adults act immature. That’s incorrect logic. After all, adulthood also brings maturity and responsibility

Adults are capable to handle so many things responsibly unlike children so you can’t really call adults obsolete children. There is that side in each of us, even when we’re fully grown adults but that does not mean it’s our only side. The more explicated version of the quote would be;

"Each one of us has an 'obsolete children' side of personality, even when we're adults"

I disagree with your literal assessment of this quote. It is not very-Seuss like. His long standing message to children and adults alike was to hold onto the inquisitive and creative nature of the spirit of childhood.

He would never hold children in such a negative light. He is generalizing, saying too many adults have lost touch with their inner child, and in turn have lost touch with themselves.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:
It is not very-Seuss like.

The original quote isn’t even that Suess like, I mean it didn’t even rhyme.

Flag Post

New quote:

“With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward.”

~Gen Urobuchi

Flag Post

Kindness can be measured, and appropriate, to prevent it from being naive. Courage can be intelligent, if the battle is chosen well, and in fact, many times takes courage not to fight. Dedication is the only way to achieve the greatest rewards (pic related)

Flag Post

^then a gust of wind…

but i agree with the quote that that can be a trapdoor of kindness. but only if you do it wrong.

Flag Post

Message me with suggestions please. Finding quotes is becoming harder the longer this thread goes on.

Flag Post

If you focus on being unessessarly kind , you’ll put too much effort into a impossible cause and waste your time

Flag Post

New quote:

“One man with courage makes a majority.”

~Andrew Jackson

Flag Post

Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels – men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sorry. Didn’t really like the Jackson quote (although I personally do like Jackson).

Flag Post

The bravery of one man will always be better than 100 cowards who run away.

Flag Post

New quote:

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

~J. K. Rowling

Flag Post

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

Sometimes it even takes more to stand up to your friends because you are risking your friendship.

Flag Post

^yes. and you risk more criticism from other friends.

or, you can do what i do and consider everyone an enemy.

Flag Post

The answer is rather obvious.
The attitude of your enemy is already established.
The attitude of your friend—when “stood up to” by you—is likely an unknown,,,
therefore, an unknown risk is involved by which a great loss of something very important might happen. Opting to “stand your moral ground” at the risk of losing something else that is also of great value to ya is one helluva a hard choice to make and shouldn’t be done lightly.

Flag Post

Self explanatory, for the most part. It takes just as many balls not to fall into peer pressure (your friends) than it does to chew out an enemy. Maybe more.

Flag Post

You’re enemies are generally your opposite. It’s easy to stand up to them. Your friends, who share similarities with you, are harder to stand up to because their your trusted partners.

Flag Post

New quote:

“It’s better to burn out than to fade away.”

~Kurt Cobain

Flag Post

Dartval, I think I know the essence ya’re going for: Better to go out in a blaze of glory than a whimper of mediocrity.

HOWEVER, I’m not sure what Kurt meant by burnout, but I think he didn’t mean <<< that.

Likely, he could have made himself a little…..ah, hell…a WHOLE LOT clearer on this.

BUt, for me….I say: Burn like hell’s blazes until ya can’t “stoke the furnace” as well as ya once did or still want to. THEN, sit back a little more each day and enjoy thinkin’bout what ya have done, adding it all up, then think ‘bout what ya still might do…esp. since ya’ve got a lifetime’s learnin’ w/ which to make much better plans than ya did in the “early blazin’ years”.

It becomes something like the old bull & the young bull up on a hill overlooking the cows below in the meadow. The YOUNG bull said to the old bull: Let’s RUN down there and fuck us a couple of them cows. The OLD bull said: Let’s WALK down there and fuck ’em ALL.

I may move a little “slower” these days…..but, in some ways, I get a whoooole lot “more” accomplished than I did when I was 20. Live LONG, love much, many, & often….and “bow out” gracefully & w/ dignity.

Flag Post

A little background info on the current quote:

Those were his last words… they were written in his suicide note.

Flag Post

Well i think it means it’s better to die known for being a hard worker, than to be forgotten by the world.

Flag Post

yeah, when i saw the quote in the title, i thought it was refering to a burnout. but when i saw who it’s a quote from…i guess he might have had a manic episode when he said that. ran out of lithium or something.

edit:

Those were his last words… they were written in his suicide note.

oops, i missed that. guess not then. maybe it was just his excuse or justification for offing himself while enjoying still a career of fame.