Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 21

815 posts

Flag Post

translation: Plato was wrong. also Nietzsche was wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

Meaning?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

“One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak.”

~Gilbert K. Chesterton

One sees potential, hope, expectation. They likely see it through “rose-colored glasses”. They often have little-2-NO realistic idea of what it will take to attain the peak.

Ergo, upon standing upon the acme of their endeavour to arrive and being able to view its cost, the initially perceived value of attainment can likely be modified….usually downward (small) & for a host of reasons.

Allow me a bit of ribald example. A guy makes great effort to bed a gal he finds himself being quite sexually attractive. He jumps through a lot of high-&-difficult hoops to get her their. Finally, upon accomplishing said task, he finds a very different body sans clothing than he imagined. AND, she turns out to be a lousy lay.

Another example which can demonstrate how a “view-from-the-top” can make—MOST, not ONLY—things seem small & greatly valueless. It’s in the form of a ditty: Don’t sweat the small things in life. Other than family & friends (MyTie’s “love”) & valued ideology, all of the THINGS (usually material) are small.

One thing for sure about the journey from the valley to the peak (death?), enjoy the journey, take time to smell the roses, make the most of your life, endeavour to leave this life better than ya found it, make your mark in life & let it be a good one, etc. Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Please read the editorial reviews (at the bottom).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

Meaning?

Plato said you need to distance yourself from the rabble of society to be able to see things clearly. this quote seems to suggest the opposite.

Flag Post

New quote:

“It is best to rise from life as from a banquet, neither thirsty nor drunken.”

~Aristotle

Flag Post

Not too much, and not too little, yeah? I’m guessing it’s about being raised, if you’ve had a really terrible upbringing, loads of abuse, etc, it ain’t gonna be good, but neithier is being priviliged and given everything you want by the ones who raised you. If I’m right in guessing it’s about rearing children, anyway.

Flag Post

hmm, i think maybe “rise from life” means death. maybe he’s saying it’s best to get most out of life while you can; to be fulfilled or something.

Flag Post

New quote:

“One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak.”

~Gilbert K. Chesterton

When You are at the start of a journey, down in the valley with everyone else, you see the mountains before you, all the work to do. You choose your mountain to climb, then get started. So much choice, and so much challenge. It is utterly overwhelming. You have to knuckle down and concentrate on what is before you.

Then, as you get to the peak of the mountain, you have done it all. You have won. You can see there is not much more you can do; everything lays behind and below you, nothing lays in front of you.

In reality, we usually find that when we reach the peak of the mountain, the peak was illusionary. Instead we find ourselves in another valley, with more peaks rising beyond. Each peak we climb, unlocks access to further mountains based on what we have done so far. And on and on and on, probably without end.

New quote:

“It is best to rise from life as from a banquet, neither thirsty nor drunken.”

~Aristotle

This one is saying it is best to take your fill from life, but not to do anything to excess. Don’t let the life you live change you; rather stay in control of your life. Avoid hedonism (the drunkenness) but take your fill out of every moment.

Flag Post

While I greatly agree w/ vika’s sentiments, I would like to toss in the “experimentation factor”.

One probably needs to “see both sides” of things in order to better (fully?) appreciate the one they have chosen. I’m NOT saying that one should be schizo about it, or try doing both at the same time. I’m not saying that such “experimentation” should be engaged in lightly,,,lacking good thinking AND,,also meaning to NOT “plunge in” too deeply (at first?).

I know vika has (looooong ago) expounded on this….something to the order of how subjecting our own POV to challenge will affect it either negatively or positively. Even if one has “heard it before”….the very fact that one more person believes such a side should show at the very least how the “numbers game” (majority//minority) is stacking up.

Or, looking at my POV of the quote in another way: living your life “in a rut” really doesn’t make much of a “well-rounded” person….even if that “rut” is most prudent/safe/sensible/etc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

One probably needs to “see both sides” of things in order to better (fully?) appreciate the one they have chosen.

I would like to interject here. It’s my philosophy that there are never just two sides to any issue. In the same way as a sword has more than two sides, as the ‘edge’ is also a side, I tend to approach things that there are lways a bare minimum of three, and usually many more.

In some ways it can be as much blinkered in thought to assume there are only two sides, as to assume there is only one. Both sides that you see have their own biases and presumptions, clouding the actual reality as seen from a neutral third observer.

Or, looking at my POV of the quote in another way: living your life “in a rut” really doesn’t make much of a “well-rounded” person….even if that “rut” is most prudent/safe/sensible/etc.

True. A rut is safe, secure. It doesn’t open the mind up to challenge, and challenge (in moderation) is the only way to shake out the cobwebs and force your base concepts to grow.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

~Bruce Lee

Flag Post

New quote:

~Bruce Lee

An awesome quote.
When you learn something that has been established, learn it, but never forget to evaluate it for yourself. Question it. Try out other solutions if they seem reasonable to you. If they turn out to be better for you, use those. Never lose your creativity and never lose your curiosity. And always try to judge things without bias. Bias blinds you and can close your eyes to progress.

Flag Post

New quote:

~Bruce Lee

"Obey virtues, but don't take it too it too far and turn it into obliquity"

Classic example. Although, for me, there is one component that is missing from this phrase: Neglection. While you can turn virtue into obliquity by overdoing it, it also works other way around as well by neglecting the virtue

Example: If bravery is a virtue, there are two obliquities for it: Daredevilness (caused by excessive bravery) and cowardness (caused by lack of bravery)

Flag Post

I’m not sure how an actual obeying of virtues (traits esteemed by a society) can be construed into being an ubiquity (a departure from morality or reason). That seems to fly in the very face of what obeying is. True obeying means NOT “straying” from the principles in either direction…zealous application or neglect of.

I see the quote as meaning: Honor (obey) principles,,,but don’t be UNQUESTIONINGLY, BLINDINGLY bound by them.

It further means: Principles, like a map, attempt to represent a “territory” of highly regarded social ethos. However, just as a map can’t ever show every detail..every butterfly…the very life of the territory, neither can “carved-in-stone” principles truly represent the soul of the reason for them. One must ALWAYS keep that fact in mind. Some would see this as “situational ethics”. BUT, that is a very tricky horse to ride in the territory of principles.

Flag Post

so, to understand what he said we should investigate what the difference is between being bound by a principle, and obeying it without being bound by it.

all i can think of is that leaving room for grey area is still obeying principle, without being bound by them.
if i am bound by the principle that all busses should be green, i have no choice but to buy a brush and paint at get to it. however, i can also merely obey the principle, by never choosing to paint a bus yellow, and leaving it at that.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Cut off a wolf’s head and it still has the power to bite.”

~Hayao Miyazaki

Flag Post

False.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokarnor:

False.

You’re being too literal. Look for a deeper meaning.

Flag Post

False.

How about we take things at their face value instead of putting more merit into a saying than it deserves.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

False.

How about we take things at their face value instead of putting more merit into a saying than it deserves.

You can’t take everything at face value. Some things have deeper meanings.

Flag Post

could someone please post a whole bucnh(like 10 or so) of these please.

Flag Post

I don’t think people are getting this one. Think of the wolf as representing a group and think of the head as the leader of the group. Not everything can be solved by just trying to end something instantly.

Flag Post

This is what should be told to everyone who says that killing Hitler would definitely have prevented the Holocaust.

Flag Post

a saying only holds any value as an analogy. if the analogy is false, it has no meaning.

you could argue it says something like “having defeated your enemy doesn’t mean you’re safe yet”, or something like that. but there’s no value or point to the analogy, because it’s false.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:
Originally posted by somebody613:

scoop
The problem that was raised here, is that most REAL-LIFE “patriots” are MUCH less concerned about “building up their country”, but rather “fighting the supposed enemies of the country”.
The people, who REALLY build their countries, more than usually DON’T put on the “patriot” nickname…
They just DO THEIR JOB
The louder one shouts (about how “patriotic” HE is), the more probably he does nothing useful (but effectively tries to incite strifes)…

Going against patriotism is going against human nature.

Cut off a snake’s head and it still has the power to bite.