Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 24

815 posts

Flag Post

Simple enough. Everyone views the grass on the other side of the fence as greener. So, you’re less interested in what is right under your nose and easily obtainable, but much more interested in pursuing that which is hard to obtain, even if it turns out to be no beetter (or worse) than what was right under your nose all the time.

Play ‘hard to get’ and you’ll increase interest from other parties, parties who might not be so interested if you were ‘easy’.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

I’m going to change the quote a little early.

“Follow love and it will flee, flee love and it will follow thee.”

~John Gay

Love can only be achieved after it is bestowed freedom and it did not diminish….

Flag Post

I guess this is true with romantic love. Actually that quote reminded me of “Toxic love”, or love addiction, in which two love addicts “take turns” in playing hard to get and being overly clingy…

Flag Post

Happy Thanksgiving. I have a fitting quote for today.

“To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.”

~Johannes A. Gaertner

Flag Post

how do you live gratitude?

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

how do you live gratitude?

That is up to your own interpretation.

Flag Post

The quote didn’t get any attention. I’ll give it until tomorrow.

Flag Post

I think the quote is more blunt and straight forward, I couldn’t find anything to throw into it for discussion, besides saying that I agree with it and explaining what is already blatantly said.

Flag Post

Sorry it didn’t get more of a response. I think it’s a great quote!

To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant—To say nice things is to have good manners

To enact gratitude is generous and noble—To practice gratitude is one step further, and considered admirable, or in the next higher phase of enlightenment.

But to live gratitude is to touch Heaven—One who is happy and content with what he has (living gratitude) is truly rich.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Force may make hypocrites, but it can never make converts.”

~William Penn

Flag Post

If you force someone to follow you, they will pay lipservice to your ideals, but they don’t believe those ideals themselves. They’re only following out of fear.

Flag Post

Though force may make someone follow your demands, it doesn’t mean they will change their mindset on the subject and turn their back on their older opinion.

Flag Post

however, you don’t need to make converts if you just wait for all the hypocrites to die out, and the newly from infancy indoctrinated generation to replace them. that’s how Christianity and Islam spread.

Flag Post

@OD
I partially agree with you, however, Muslims are told to wage war on anyone who does not accept allah as the one true god. Christians are told to love everyone, even those who persecute them. This method is more effective in gaining true converts because they are not putting the penalty of death or imprisonment in front of them. Rather, they are showing Christ’s love for everyone through them.

Flag Post

The new quote isn’t true in many instances. For example, there are many Catholics who are Hispanic and/or Spanish as a result of the Spanish Inquisition and Franco’s fascist policies regarding religion. This is also true in Italy under Mussolini. It converted the people—especially natives of the Americas—into Catholics as a result of force. In many of those countries today Catholicism is staunchly followed and is the major faction of Christianity followed in those countries.

Flag Post

I’ll take it literally.
“Force may make hypocrites, but it can never make converts.”
The quote says “never.”
If one human was converted by force, then the quote is incorrect.
Based on how many humans there are, it is unlikely that this instance has never occurred.
Therefore it is incorrect.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiHugger:

@OD
I partially agree with you, however, Muslims are told to wage war on anyone who does not accept allah as the one true god. Christians are told to love everyone, even those who persecute them. This method is more effective in gaining true converts because they are not putting the penalty of death or imprisonment in front of them. Rather, they are showing Christ’s love for everyone through them.

i’m sorry, but that’s far more igorance than i can tolerate. many of the “teachings of Jesus” were contradictive. he did say he came not to bring peace but to bring a sword. he only told people to love your enemy because God will punish them, but his words (God’s words that Jesus commanded you to follow) still spew poison.

adn regardless of any debate on such “teachings”, Christianity very clearly was spread through war, violence, hangings and burnings.

Flag Post

So… putting criminals in jail won’t rehabilitate them…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Shadowhopeful:

So… putting criminals in jail won’t rehabilitate them…

It never did. You have to work with then to rehabilitate them; not force them into it. If they don’t wish to be rehabilitated, then they won’t be.

The best prison can do, is institutionalise them.

Flag Post

It depends upon the prison system. If you’re in a private prison in the United States, or Guantanamo Bay, then there is no way you shall be rehabilitated. If you’re in a prison in Sweden, then it is likely for you to be rehabilitated as a result of their methods in imprisonment.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

It depends upon the prison system. If you’re in a private prison in the United States, or Guantanamo Bay, then there is no way you shall be rehabilitated. If you’re in a prison in Sweden, then it is likely for you to be rehabilitated as a result of their methods in imprisonment.

Really? What methods do they use?

Flag Post

New quote:

“Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.”

~Oprah Winfrey

Flag Post

I’ll take it literally again.
Let’s say you can bench press 500 pounds. If given 10 pounds to bench press, you would not struggle whatsoever.
So at that moment in time, you have strength yet you have not struggled.
Therefore false.

Flag Post

You could also take it as the “No Pain, No Gain” idiom.
You have to work hard in order to achieve your goal.

Or perhaps it just means pacifists are weaklings.

Flag Post

After having doing wrestling, football, swimming team, lifting, military service, and other physically demanding activities, I feel like this quote ties all of the previous activities together.

In wrestling, if your opponent does not struggle to stand up, does not struggle to fight back, there is no strength both mentally and physically. If you do not push yourself to fight your opponent every step of the way, you show no strength for yourself or for your team.

In swimming, if there is no struggle to achieve your quickest time, each and every time, then there is no strength. You should always fight to be the first, it’s not all about muscle in each case.

When you are lifting, if you have given yourself a plan to do every day, and do not struggle with that plan, then there is no strength. You may finish it every day, but what is to be gained from not pushing your body?

In the military, one who does not struggle to fight for their lives, to make people safer, to get their job done has no strength.

Everything this quote applies to seems to deal with one’s own leadership.