Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 17

815 posts

Flag Post

well, survive and live means almost the same, so the difference needs to be found in the distinction between those two. what to “live” would imply that to “survive” doesn’t, is that one also feels like they have a purpose or at least something worthwhile to do; a “life”, beyond just biological controlled activity.

but then the question is, what does to “prey” mean. with no known source it’s hard to imagine what the intended context would have been.

the only thing i can imagine is that it is from some action movie where some sociopathic killer, maybe an infamous warrior or something, gets a thrill out of challenging and murdering worthy competitors, but not out of unworthy competitors.

it’s not much, but that’s all i can make out of it.

Flag Post

Well i think it means that if u go after weak prey, you wouldn’t become stronger both mentally and pysically. whilst if go after strong prey you become stronger yourself in doing so as it would be a challenge for you to overcome.

This quote is rather relatable to a game of chess, as you only get better facing people who are stronger, generally.

Flag Post

I believe the distinction between the two sides of the quote is in the fact that “living” doesn’t merely imply survival, but an ability to enjoy said survival whilst it lasts. I’ll use semi-literal examples to explain the points in more detail… preying on the weak – taking/doing what you want from/to those who can’t really do anything about it, for instance – would likely provide an easy source of enjoyment without being dangerous, but said enjoyment would never truly be fulfilling; on the other hand, preying on the strong – taking/doing what you want from/to people who can and likely will fight back – would be a challenge, and likely immensely fun, but you’re not likely to be able to do such things for long, if at all, before taking massive damage to some part of your livelihood, or your physical well-being in literal cases of “preying on the strong”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

with no known source it’s hard to imagine what the intended context would have been.

I said that the real world source is unknown, as in I don’t know who the real world person is who came up with it. I do have a known source though.
The quote is from a game. The character who says it is basically a hunter who spent much of his life searching for a worthy adversary.

Flag Post

well that settles it then. this quote is lame.

i can dig up some quotes i like from google if you want. like “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
-Buddha

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
-Buddha

Well, there’s the obvious “don’t bottle up all your anger”, as well as “everyone gets what’s coming to them”. If someone does something to me and it pisses me off beyond belief, I’m not holding back.

Flag Post

Also,

“Ankles are nearly always neat and good-looking, but knees are nearly always not.”
—Dwight D. Eisenhower

Um, what?

Flag Post

The quote is not lame, that is just what you made of it.

Good suggestion though, I’ll use it later.

Flag Post

The wicked desire the prey of evil men, but the root of the good man yields richer reward.
-Hebrew Proverb

Flag Post

Can you message me the suggestions please.

Discuss the current quote in the thread.

Flag Post

In other words, you can get by taking the easy way out every time, but to truly enjoy life you need to take the hard way, to truly relish in the challenge and it’s rewards.

Flag Post

If you go after something that is not a challenge to live, like a cow with 2 broken legs, then you will eat it and survive, which means you are just staying alive, which is boring.

If you go after something that is a challenge, like a mother bear, then you will live, which means generally have fun I’d assume.

Flag Post

New quote:

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.”

~Albert Einstein

Flag Post

My interpretation of the quote: It is saying that everything is not going to be perfect in your head at first until you check it again.

Flag Post

I never found any of my ideas absurd at first, but none of them ever became truth, so Einstein is right once again!

Flag Post

well, he’s a physicist, so he was probably talking aobut ideas of physics. since he says “at first”, well ideas normally start out as hypothesis. so, if you make a new idea, but it’s not absurd, there’s probably another reason why it isn’t an established idea already: it won’t work out.

Flag Post

The “at first” would indicate that the concept is “new”….at least to the person, if not the entire world (to which it applies?).

As a species, were we not to be highly suspicious of “new”, we likely would have had a much more difficult time surviving. “New” could get ya killed. The “known” was much safer. Ergo, one could say that such “reluctance” to the “new” might be seen as being “absurd”.

Years back, there was a “concept” proffered that went like this: The first guy to come up w/ the idea is considered a “nut”. It’s the second guy (the second time around for the idea. The “shock” is gone?) who get the credit and becomes successful. He notes the major concerns//objections and “tweaks” them a weeebit…..& viola.

Flag Post

I strongly disagree with that quote. It implies that only irrational changes from the norm are able to impact the world, and clearly states that innovating current technology is useless. Invention and drastic action can, of course elevate us to new heights, but sometimes perfecting what’s already out there can be just as powerful and progressive.

Flag Post

Original ideas are slow to catch on, but often cause a phenomenon.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:

Original ideas are slow to catch on, but often cause a phenomenon.

That’s true, and I’m not denying the fact that original ideas that are completely different are often good. I’m not some idiot super-conservative who thinks computers will kill us all. What I’m trying to say is that perfecting existing technology is also good. If something is progressive, and a shock, and works, it should gain attention, just like I think something that is similar to what is currently working should get its fair share of attention.

Flag Post

And just as he who, with exhausted breath, having escaped the sea to shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes

Flag Post

“When i had journeyed half of lifes way, I found myself in a shadowed forset, for i had lost the path that does not stray.”

Flag Post

New quote:

“Adults are obsolete children.”

~Dr. Seuss

Flag Post

Remove “children” and the phrase is flawless!

Flag Post

“Adults are obsolete children.” -Dr. Seuss
It means that most adults stifle their childlike creative spirit.

But to play devils advocate,
“Youth is wasted on the young.” -George Bernard Shaw