Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 28

815 posts

Flag Post

it’s a little difficult, because i fear “learn” may not be an accurate translation. if i read the first sentence, i think of “learn” as acquiring knowledge through study or being taught, while in contrast “think” would seem to refere to wisdom. however, in the second sentence i think of “learn” as gaining wisdom by learning through experience, while i think, by contrast, of “thinks” as making plans.

it’s hard to tell how Confucius meant that without knowing the exact meaning of the words he used.

Flag Post

He who learns but does not think, is lost.

If somebody does something, say go to school, but forgets everything/doesn’t learn/cuts all the classes, he/she will not be benefitting.

He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.

A little more complicated. If someone thinks about doing something, that’s great, but if it was a mistake, and they do not learn from said mistake, they may be potentially putting themselves in danger.

Flag Post

New quote:

“God is a concept by which we measure our pain.”

~John Lennon

Flag Post

This can be interpreted in many ways, and I believe that God is what people make him out to be, that no two people’s opinions of God are the same, and they will play and manipulate God into their own image of who he is and what he believes when they cannot know.

If something goes wrong or right, it will either be “Thank god” or, “Why would God let this happen to me?”. People don’t know what or who God is, or what his actions and motives are, and therefore cannot generalize him as such.

Flag Post

The more horrible (or good) the situation a given people are in, the harsher (or nicer) the god they worship to will become.

As a example, look at the upwards curve the god from the Torah vs. the bible.
As the quality of life improved, so did the portrayal of god.
I believe this is because, as god is viewed as directly/ indirectly influencing everything, the peeps who worship various gods thought that he (the gods) are (brutal/ neutral/ merciful) depending on the quality of life (level of pain).
A poor man probably views his god as a much crueler deity then, lets say, a king.

Flag Post

Not just how we look at god, but whether we believe in him at all. Atheism is becoming more and more prominent, particularly in countries with affluent people, and a very high (relatively speaking) standard of living.

People who live in poverty and who lack knowledge about basic scientific truths usually find themselves inventing a god to give meaning and reason to what is an otherwise meaningless and confusing situation.
Affluent people who have an abundance of the necessary components required for life, as well as a lot of free time, usually don’t require such a being.
Lack of suffering and a sound knowledge of reality usually provide meaning enough.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.”

~Albert Einstein

Flag Post

yeh, there are a lot of unnecessary subjects (like history and foreign languages and socail studies)

they should only teach the necessary ones with a future and not waste time on ones that dont help evolve the world and tech and science

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

~John Lennon

the more we ‘hurt’, the more we turn to god.

New quote:

“Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.”

~Albert Einstein

didn’t you already do this one? anyway, i guess it means that only the implicit knowledge aquired through school is…well, our “education”; not the explicit knowledge, because we either forget it, or it’s not properly a part of our “education”.

Flag Post

they should revamp the education system to teach you things that you can use in college and then in the real world.

Flag Post

New quote:

~Albert Einstein

First: I think one should “consider the source”. Einstein was obviously capable of “thinking outside the box”. I would say that his judgement of the typical school education system would very likely be quite low because it wasn’t geared (at that time) for minds like his.

We are just now beginning to realize that such minds don’t do well in such an enviroment….THEY ARE BORED TO DEATH. At least we are beginning to “specialize” in the area of providing “magnate schools” to address those minds who have various “special aptitudes”.

Second: A much clearer definition of what Education means in a scope that might well be much larger than what Einstein was intending:

1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
2. the act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills, as for a profession.
3. a degree, level, or kind of schooling: a university education.
4. the result produced by instruction, training, or study: to show one’s education.
5. the science or art of teaching; pedagogics.

Schooling isn’t even mentioned until #3.

NOW, w/ all of that said, I’m a huge proponent of increasing greatly the entire education system. A good start would be to make the profession much more lucrative by paying teachers a whoooooole lot more. We can also provide facilities that provide an atmosphere conducive to learning. We can develop curriculum’s that streamline the process.

BUT, in the end….“schooling” is ONLY PART of ones “education”.
It is, in the early years, a very formal, intensified part of our learning.
Two of the greatest aspects one should take away from K-12 education is HOW to learn and to have a real hunger//thrist for doing so.

Flag Post

A day late, but here’s an MLK quote for MLK day.

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Flag Post

I personally think it has to do with remembering the deaths of your friends. Your enemies’ words have no value anymore, the cause is over and now you must look back and remember the death of your friends because they are more valuable.

Flag Post

When you die (the end), the people who only insulted and hated you will not matter to you, but the words of your friends, family, everyone you valued will be lost as you die.

Flag Post

It has nothing to do with death. It has to do with that when we are being attacked, the attack itself never hurt us as much as a friend who stands by doing nothing to stop the attack.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rwbstripes:

I personally think it has to do with remembering the deaths of your friends. Your enemies’ words have no value anymore, the cause is over and now you must look back and remember the death of your friends because they are more valuable.

Thus far, stripes here is the closest of what I think MLK was thinking.

In the end…whether we lose the “battle” or win it…it is over,,

we will remember not the words of our enemies… what the enemy’s intent was is pretty much moot now, the battle is over,,, the price has been paid.

but the silence of our friends (their deaths) is the blood-price paid to wage that battle.
This silence—being our greatest loss (other than our own life, but…if we’re DEAD…we really can’t care, now can we?)—is what will ring in our ears for the balance of our lives.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Thus far, stripes here is the closest of what I think MLK was thinking.

In the end…whether we lose the “battle” or win it…it is over,,

we will remember not the words of our enemies… what the enemy’s intent was is pretty much moot. The price has been paid.

but the silence of our friends (their deaths) is the blood-price paid to wage that battle.

For me it means that I shall not let my hatred and anger towards my enemy forget who I am and what I stand for.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:

For me it means that I shall not let my hatred and anger towards my enemy forget who I am and what I stand for.

I’m very interested in how/why ya see that in the quote.
Please explain.

Flag Post

Please explain.

I shall not go that far in my animosity that I forget what I and my friends stand for.
In short, I should not forget rules of engagement of my clique and does not stoop below my level.

Flag Post

Please explain.

I shall not go that far in my animosity that I forget what I and my friends stand for.
In short, I should not forget rules of engagement of my clique and does not stoop below my level.

OH, I pretty much got that point.
It isn’t all that “mysteriously poignant”.

I was hoping ya could explain how THAT connects w/ what the quote says…ya know, the part about “…words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Flag Post

“…words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

let not the actions of your enemy derail you from your path and make you lose your friends.

Flag Post

let not the actions of your enemy derail you from your path and make you lose your friends.

I don’t think that is what it means at all.

Flag Post

Well thats what it means to me.

Flag Post

Well thats what it means to me.

Interestingly enough…and even though I’m not at all sure if this is where t-pun is on this, but in my trying to grasp his take on the quote…it caused me to come at it from somewhat an entirely different perspective on it.

I’m talking about: CRITICISM

In the End….: can mean several things. Since it is capitalized, it probably means DEATH.
But, it could simply mean that when a person comes to an end of making an accounting of what is important in life—an: when all is said & done—they will realize this about the CRITICISM leveled at them by enemies & friends alike.

While we shouldn’t ignore what our enemies say about us (we CAN glean some insights from it…either about our self or about THEM), we must remember they are our enemy and will say the vilest things about us….be they “true” or not. Either one will be twisted and distorted so hugely by their bias they are rendered nearly worthless.

BUT, while we should just the opposite warmly embrace the criticism of our friend…for it is given because they love us,,,we must also deeply appreciate the LACK OF criticism (their “silence”) about the things that are petty, things that we do that are total UNINTENTIONAL fuckups and we already feel horrible about, things that we say when not “at our best”, all the other things we do that our enemies would use against use…our friends easily overlook—because THAT is what friendship is all about.

It’s, for me, a good distinction to remember about friends & enemies.
Thanks, t-pun for the chance to see something from a greatly different perspective.
It shows that “good information” can come from most any “source”…whether it be seen as enemy, friend, or ambiguous.

Flag Post

In the End….: can mean several things. Since it is capitalized, it probably means DEATH.

Unless you can prove that MLK himself capitalized the word, I think it’s highly unwise to assume that it’s supposed to be that way.