Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 26

815 posts

Flag Post

Everybody loves playing the hero.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

“We adore chaos because we love to produce order.”

~M. C. Escher

Upon doing some research about the person who said it i can safely conclude that he used that quote in the meaning that mathematics attribute to chaos, meaning chaos theory. Trying to understand it in a different concept is probably pointless. Now, in a mathematical sense, Mr Escher is right, inside chaos there is order. Random order but still order.

Flag Post

New quote:

~M. C. Escher

speak for yourself, Escher. i adore chaos, because i love to challenge order.

anyway, since he was the mathematician of visual art, i’d say he likes working things out to make it more orderly, and therefor seeks out the disorderly. probably how firefighters like fire. then he apparently projects that on everyone.

Flag Post

New quote:

~M. C. Escher

We luv puzzles (all sorts: crossword, sudoku, riddles, connect-the-dots, etc.) cuz we luv to solve them.
It’s what makes up viable as a species.

Flag Post

appreciation is the lovechild of the dichotomy. what is something without its anithesis. if there is justice and happiness, it is only so because there is depression and villainy. we love chaos because it produces order; we love order because it can be made out of chaos. order reflects chaos and the two mirror one another. they are two sides of the same coin and what is a defaced coin but one without inherent value? it is no longer treated as valid currency and is therefore removed from circulation. however, as others have noted, we love chaos because we can only make right the things originally wrong. order empowers us, but only if there is chaos to being with – an aloof foot to set stable in order to maintain the integral balance of the human obelisk

Flag Post

I agree with this one.

Destroying order and making the chaos we adore — then restoring a new order.
We’ve been doing it all along.

Flag Post

People like organizing things their way and feeling like they made the situation/world a better place.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

~Leonardo da Vinci

Flag Post

The simpler you make a design, the less can go wrong with it. That’s why he found perfection in making his inventions as straightforward as possible. They would (according to theory anyway) work as intended, but compared to the complexity of the task they were performing, there was very little that could go wrong with them.

It is also sometimes taken as being ‘idiot proof’ – ie proof from the insufficient understandings of the average human. There’s not much the undereducated and overly curious can break, when it comes right down to it. The device works as designed. If you damage it, it will either work or it won’t, with no significant middle ground. Thus if someone plays about with his plane say, and modifies it too much without understanding the principles, then the plane simply won’t work, as opposed to producing unexpected emergent behaviors.

It would be wonderful if we could make things as simple as he did, nowadays. All too often we cannot. Whilst the spirit of his saying remains true – avoid unnecessary complexity – we often find as we are trying to do more and more subtle and intricate tasks, that a certain degree of complexity is essential, and scales with the complexity of the task being performed.

Flag Post

means what it says and it’s true. really noticable in this tablet and smartphone age.

Flag Post

The details are not of the greatest importance; rather, what we have to endear to is the grand scheme of things – the general overview. Circumlocutory malarkey will not commission a feast – it arouses irascible squabbling among the peoples and burdens the prudent with cause for concern. A stain smeared across the age of innovation, our troubles can be circumvented only by keeping the heart of the issues close to home.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Knowing what must be done does away with fear.”

~Rosa Parks

Flag Post

When you step up to your mission or challenge, whatever it may be, you realize you know what must be done. When you realize that, there is no fear.

When you step up to the plate in baseball and know what must be done, there is no fear when you swing that bat.

When you step on the starting block in a swim meet, you realize that what must be done is your best every time, and you apply that when you start. There is no fear towards the race.

It’s about stepping up and overcoming doubts and fears and replace it with determination and confidence. That is my outlook on it.

Flag Post

I don’t think so rwbstripes. That’s more about inevitability than knowing what must be done – its what will be done, nothing you can do about it. When you accept the outcome is inevitable and there is nothing you can do to change it, you feel a kind of peace. That’s what you’re describing.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Knowing what must be done does away with fear.”

~Rosa Parks

I will say it only takes the fear of the unknown element out of it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

I don’t think so rwbstripes. That’s more about inevitability than knowing what must be done – its what will be done, nothing you can do about it. When you accept the outcome is inevitable and there is nothing you can do to change it, you feel a kind of peace. That’s what you’re describing.

Vika….I can go w/ what ya’re saying if one looks at it as: _ Knowing what WILL BE done does away with fear._

This is what thepunisher is going for, I think.

For me, a REALIZATION of what must be done very likely does quell a certain amount,,,a particular kind of fear or apprehension. After than, should any “fear” yet remain….RESOLVE is what manages it and keeps ones foot on the righteous path.

Hopefully, that is what Rosa Parks meant, also.

Flag Post

You worry about what choices to take, but when you know there is only a certain path, then it takes the stress out of making that choice, because you know there is no other method.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.”

~Albert Einstein

Flag Post

New quote:

“Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.”

~Albert Einstein

Hmmmm….Darval, not so easy this one is.
Both success and value are very subjective.

Flag Post

“It seems that the Lord finds our desires not too strong but too weak. With sex, drinks, and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us. Like an ignorant child making mud pies in a pile of slum because he/she doesn’t understand what it means of a Holiday at glory. We are half hearted people and far to easily pleased.” This quote was said from someone with wisdom.

Flag Post
Originally posted by XxsamuroxX:

“It seems that the Lord finds our desires not too strong but too weak. With sex, drinks, and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us. Like an ignorant child making mud pies in a pile of slum because he/she doesn’t understand what it means of a Holiday at glory. We are half hearted people and far to easily pleased.” This quote was said from someone with wisdom.

I disagree.
In my opinion this quote was uttered by someone who can’t back up his claims properly, since he blindly puts forward that following that God-dude he likes to worship will lead to eternal joy. It was uttered by someone who was brought up to dislike his life here on earth and look at it as a transitional state to the stuff that really matters. That guy intentionally limited his own potential because of a belief that told him that he was inherently flawed even though he could never verify it in his whole life.
It was quoted by a very, very pitiable individual.

Flag Post

New quote:

“When God desires to destroy a thing, he entrusts its destruction to the thing itself. Every bad institution of this world ends by suicide.”

~Victor Hugo

Flag Post
Originally posted by XxsamuroxX:

Christian quote obviously, doesn’t interest me to the very least.

New quote:

“When God desires to destroy a thing, he entrusts its destruction to the thing itself. Every bad institution of this world ends by suicide.”

~Victor Hugo

Let’s start with the basics, there is no God that cares too much about destroying things.

Flag Post

New quote:

~Victor Hugo

Darval, this quote seems to hold true in that the pendulum very often swings within the circle of yin-yang. And, ya might even symbolize this event ya pose this way. Or maybe like this. I like this one because it represents the constantly reoccurring cycle of destruction & rebirth.

The part I find disturbing (strongly disagree with?) is how much human suffering must be endured while God "entrusts evil to burn out ON ITS OWN. I’m more a proponent of a cartoon drawing I saw long ago. It shows two vultures stitting in a tree, one says to the other: Fuck this waiting for something to die shit, I’m going to kill something. I think “GOOD” should have a hand in the demise of “bad” institutions. Evil certainly has its hand in ending good institutions. This brings me to the old adage: All it takes for Evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Flag Post

New quote:

~Victor Hugo

Well for even the 2nd sentence to be true, you would have to be very flexible with the definition of suicide. And such a flexible definition would hold to basically every institution in history, not just the “bad” ones.