Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 20

815 posts

Flag Post

you mean…bating masters? for what purpose? what kind of masters?

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

you mean…bating masters? for what purpose? what kind of masters?

BAITERS….
ya know,,,,guys (& strong gals) that put worms on fish hooks & are really, REALLY “good” at doing IT.

Flag Post

Technically it’s known as strumming, for gals.

Flag Post

LOLTMI,,,TMI,,,TIM.
Okay, Dartval….maybe it’s time for a new quote……
PLEASE.
LOL

Flag Post

oh right. bate is not bait lol. but then, that’s what you said. bation, of masters.

Flag Post

New quote:

“When you dance with death, lead.”

~real world source unknown

Flag Post

We all, each & every last one of us, “dance” w/ death from the very second we are born. In order to get the most out of your life, live it in the full knowledge that death is always your dance partner and that death will the be one to take the “final step”. We should endeavor to do as much as we possibly can to ensure that it is us that “calls the other steps”.

Flag Post

By the way, little side note. I say “real world source unknown” becuse I don’t know who the real life person who came up with this is. There is some background. The quote was said by a character in a game. He basically sacrificed his own life and is dying, but he did so to recieve great power that he intends to use to defeat the enemy that invaided his homeland and killed his people.

Flag Post

Dartval…would ya include suicide bombers in this scenario….at least loosely?

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Dartval…would ya include suicide bombers in this scenario….at least loosely?

You can interperet it however you like.

Flag Post

when you dance with death, lead"

i think it means to Live life wildly or choose your own death
die for something you would like to die for
or die doing something your proud of
something like that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

New quote:

“When you dance with death, lead.”

~real world source unknown

It seems pretty simple. It tells us to lead when dancing with death because we would live longer. In realistic terms it means to live sensibly, in other words too only take calculated risks.

Flag Post

New quote:

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”

~Winston Churchill

Flag Post

uhm, “dancing with death” i believe is an idiom for when you are close to dying, like terminally ill or something like that. i believe the quote has to do with defeating bad odds for survival.

~Winston Churchill

nice. more of a funny analogy than anything, but nice. if you’re having a bad time, giving up will make it worse seems the obvious meaning.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

uhm, “dancing with death” i believe is an idiom for when you are close to dying, like terminally ill or something like that. i believe the quote has to do with defeating bad odds for survival.

~Winston Churchill

nice. more of a funny analogy than anything, but nice. if you’re having a bad time, giving up will make it worse seems the obvious meaning.

Yeah, if you was going through hell there would probably be a good reward of sweet freedom at the end thus, keep going.

Flag Post

The two very keg words: passing & through (although PASSING would be a better choice than “going”). AND, I’m pretty sure Churchill didn’t mean “going through” as meaning ENDURING….w/ the “encouragement” of keeping on doing it//going “through” it.

going
Definition:
1.act of leaving: an act of leaving somewhere
2.conditions for progress: conditions for making progress
3.conditions under foot: the state of the ground as it affects ease and speed of movement, especially for horses in a race

passing
Definition:going past:
1. moving past
2. transitory: superficial and lasting only a short time
3. brief: done briefly and without much attention being paid
“a passing interest”

through
Definition: CORE MEANING: a grammatical word used to indicate movement from one side or end of something to or past the other side or end
1. PREPOSITION passing across: passing from one side or end of something to the other
“bored a hole through the wall”
“trying to find a way through”
2. PREPOSITION traveling across: traveling across or to various places in a town, country, or area
“He spent the summer traveling through Europe.”
“We’re not stopping long; we’re just passing through.”
3. PREPOSITION among: in the midst of, or having things or people all around or on either side of
“She wandered through the crowds milling around outside the cathedral.”
“I’d like to browse through and see if there are any articles that interest me.”
4. PREPOSITION past barrier: past the limitations or difficulties of something such as a barrier or a problem
“the problems involved in wading through acres of bureaucracy”
“The road has been narrowed to prevent larger vehicles getting through.”
5. PREPOSITION from beginning to end: from the beginning until the end or conclusion of
“Martin and Johanson’s works will be on view through June.”
“I can’t come I’m afraid; I’m working through.”
6. PREPOSITION to conclusion: to completion, to a usually successful conclusion, or so as to have finished with something
“She sailed through the exam.”
“They had to twist a few arms to get the proposal through.”
“The champion, as expected, is through to the second round.”
7. PREPOSITION via: by way or means of
“I’ll send you a copy through the mail.”
8. PREPOSITION over extent of: happening or existing over the entire extent of or affecting all of
“A flu of epidemic proportions swept through the town.”
9. PREPOSITION because of: as a result of
“Through his mishandling of our affairs, we’ll be lucky to have any credit at all this year.”
10. PREPOSITION up to and including: up to and including that time
“Museum hours are 2-4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays.”
11. ADVERB thoroughly: completely and in every part
“Your clothes are wet through.”
12. ADVERB able to speak on phone: so as to establish a telephone connection with somebody
“We’ve been trying to get through all morning but the lines are busy.”
“You’re through to Ms. Spriggs.”
13. ADJECTIVE going directly: going directly without stopping or requiring a change
“The through train leaves on the hour.”
14. ADJECTIVE passing through something: proceeding or extending from one side or end of something to the other or through something and beyond it
“a through room”
“through traffic”
[ Old English þurh < Indo-European, “pass through” ]
be through with somebody

1. to want to have nothing else to do with somebody

2. to have finished doing something, often something unpleasant, to somebody
When I’m through with him, he really will have a headache!
be through with something to have finished with something (informal)
through and through completely

. . . . . . . .
It’s as Omega says…don’t give up,,,don’t stop,,,keep on passing

Flag Post

Because if you stop, you’ll be stuck in hell.

Flag Post

New quote:

“The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.”

~Tom Clancy

Flag Post

another means what it says and it’s true.

Flag Post

Apparently Tom Clancy never played LSD: Dream Emulator.

Flag Post

New quote:

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”

~Buddha

Flag Post

This is an important psychological (and even leadership) concept. Holding grudges punishes no one but the person holding the grudge; growth is difficult to impossible in that state. As one of my favorite saying goes: “Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and realize the prisoner was you.” Really just another way of saying the above.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

This is an important psychological (and even leadership) concept. Holding grudges punishes no one but the person holding the grudge; growth is difficult to impossible in that state. As one of my favorite saying goes: “Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and realize the prisoner was you.” Really just another way of saying the above.

A very good response TN.
I think this quote has been “ignored” because the concept ya describe is a difficult one to wrap ones mind around. THAT and the fact that I would see the quote more along the lines of: _You likely (may be?) will be punished FOR your anger, BUT…you will be punished even greater BY your anger.

With this concept, I’m able to agree w/ YOUR application of the quote. I want to add that by having anger AT someone, they are tacitly winning w/o even doing any more than the initial “pisser”. You are giving “power” to that individual to “control” your emotions….thereby possibly have great control over you.

This is why I find it ridiculously ludicrous when jake-o pulls his crap on me by deigning to insist that I fear him…lol
This is why he won’t ameliorate his negative term fear//afraid to something more accurately describing the posters true feelings. He uses every trick in the book to avoid having to defend his poor position w/ realistic points….so he falls back on childish retorts to divert the constant insistence that he address direct questions//challenges to him.

For the most part, his ploy doesn’t work. Occasionally, a poster gets their belly-full of this and “pops off” and has their post removed. Yet, he is unable to see that he is often victim of his own devices….his angry posts are often deleted. Many of the posters here are very good at “pushing his buttons”. For the most part, it really isn’t all that hard…his positions are usually ludicrously weak and not difficult to “insult” while not insulting him personally,,,something he isn’t able to do…likely because anger//frustration is a driving force behind the issues being discussed here.

It is hard to tell what his positions truly are….he so rarely “explains” them well. It seems he uses the ploy of: I’ve pissed you off &/or greatly frustrated you….so I win.

My point is: ANGER can be induced by one’s own internal sense of righteousness. And it can be the “external” result of someone whose intent is to do that by using the person’s passion for that righteousness against them. Short term anger can be useful. It shows that ya care. Long term means that ya’re not able to take command of it,,,harness it to obtain the best desired result.

Flag Post

Hehe, I think this one pulled me out of the woodwork to reply. Recognizing that one is subject to one’s own emotions is an important realization. Self control not merely on the basis of following a doctrine, but as a means to secure your own happiness unto yourself, is an ideological expression given very little credence in my appraisal of modern culture.

It also creates a different structure of power in regards to Virtue and Vices. One is not held to the judgement of a third party for these traits, but one is merely the subject of these traits themselves.

Flag Post

New quote:

“One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak.”

~Gilbert K. Chesterton