Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 5

815 posts

Flag Post

Woah, I was surprised when I came over here today. o _ O
Thanks, that was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, for my interpretation of it, it does basically speak it’s own meaning. But the fact that people often seem so reluctant to think for themselves a lot likely spreads this, as well as the fact that most people cannot grasp the ideas that their current beliefs are wrong. And, of course, most people do seem to try to imitate other people for social reasons, thinking it makes them “Better”, sameness over individuality in this case. People often don’t think of their own opinions on their own, and just take another’s and they try to “Fit in” and act like other people. A good analysis of a common human, really.

And yes, I had a giggle at myself after I quoted it for the irony value. ;P

Yes, you see the truth, your outlook on life is true and virtuous. You understand everything. You know exactly how not to be deceived, of course…

Of course not. I’m likely as full of bull as anyone else. I just resort to that belief in self-protection, because if I’m right, I’m safe, and if I’m not, not much I’ve lost. I just tend to view everything with suspicion and try not to believe something totally because of that. Including the one I just cited, in case that one is a lie too. So basically, be suspicious of every idea that comes your way, in case it’s a lie. Or if there is even no truth. Basically, I try to stay in a constant state of at least semi-ignorance out of safety, and instead of “Knowing” or actually believing in my beliefs, I just hope like hell.

it’s also quite ironic to quote that as some kind of slogan.

My supplies of wit temporarily ran out. ;P
“Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.” ~Oscar Wilde.

Flag Post
“Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.” ~Oscar Wilde.

that’s good enough for a permanent signature. if we had such.

also, have you counted how often you used the word “I” in that post?

Flag Post

This quote didn’t get quite as much discussion as the others.

Time for a new quote:

“The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.”
- Albert Einstein

One possible way to interperet this is as a criticism of the educational system. It throws facts at us, most of which we never use, expects us to memorize them, and doesn’t leave very much room for intuition and natural intelligence.

Flag Post

Current quote: “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.”

Oooo…touche’, that’s a good one. I think it has a couple meanings:

(a) Sometimes a formal education gets so regimented and so preoccupied with other yardsticks of measurement like “rubric” and “accreditation standards” that it forgets the most important function of it’s existance is, in fact, the acquisition of knowledge (learning).

(b) Second, sometimes someone’s education up to a certain point can work against them. It’s generally easier to train someone who is fresh and unbiased; often if they are used to a certain way of doing things, it’s hard to reverse or turn against/overwrite old habits.

Flag Post

THe education system back in those days were mean indeed. Pupils were encouraged to be the same type of people. So many things were bad during that time. I think we have progressed and changed some of the things that were wrong in the education system.

Flag Post
Pupils were encouraged to be the same type of people.

that never changed. they illegalised physical punishment, that was all the change between then and when i went to school. although, these days, i see a very different attitude about by nieces’ schools, where their parents will actually tell the teachers how to do their job (opposite from 15/20 years ago; and in the Netherlands)

“One possible way to interperet this is as a criticism of the educational system.”

i don’t think it’s a very strong criticism of the education system, but he seemed mildly critical of it. he also said: “education is what stays behind once you’ve forgot everything you learned at school”.

anyway, he said this about common knowledge: “common knowledge is the collection of prejudices acquired at age 18

i think what he’s saying with all three is that we’re all programmed to believe some dogmas that make it hard to pierce further and acquire a deeper understanding of things. i’m not sure it has a rhetorical meaning…Einstein isn’t usually rhetorical; just observational.

and i think Plato would have agreed. in fact if you add Einstein’s “great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds” to the other three quotes, you might just have arrived at the base motive for Plato’s Allegory of the Cave.

Flag Post

I feel that it means that the educational process interferes with the learning process. In my own experience, having to do assignments, show up to class, take tests, etc. interferes with my own learning. Most of these are done essentially as benchmarks of my education, but they can mean relatively little about what I’ve learned.

To be honest, it requires someone to be dedicated to notice a personal difference between education and learning. I have many fellow students who feel that doing the education means they don’t have to do the learning. A common complaint is that the professor should give them everything they need to know to pass the class, and that merely showing up and paying attention should secure them a good grade.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:
Pupils were encouraged to be the same type of people.

that never changed. they illegalised physical punishment, that was all the change between then and when i went to school. although, these days, i see a very different attitude about by nieces’ schools, where their parents will actually tell the teachers how to do their job (opposite from 15/20 years ago; and in the Netherlands)

Yes, I remember the beatings, those were not bad though, it was just a little pain in the butt, ear, and hands, nothing permanent. But the really mean stuff was when they say you’re stupid for being less interested in their curriculum than other people. What kind of school did you go to? Public school or Catholic school? I went to Catholic school and they had intense learning hours, but back was the transitional time when extracullicular activities were promoted so well I guess I didn’t got it as hard.

Flag Post

Yea, education does affect your learning but in a good way. However if you over-do education, it will affect your learning.
But without education, everyone could have been more stupid and ignorant.

Flag Post

I think people in general conflate education and learning/knowledge. Sometimes they coincide and sometimes not. This is a nice reminder of that.

Flag Post

This is another case of what is better:
1)The natural propensity for human curiosity to stimulate education on its own.
2)That natural propensity to be diluted by the insertion of knowledge that may or may not be the subject of curiosity.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson explains this very well which I encourage everyone to at least read…

LH: Do you think that’s the fundamental problem, is lack of curiosity?

NdT: Yes. Something we all have as kids and is beaten out of us as adults. Parents come up to me, “How do I get my kids interested in science?” They’re already interested in science. Just stop beating it out of them.

LH: How do you think it gets beaten out of them?

NdT: Because we tell them to shut up and sit down after spending a year telling them how to walk and talk. We teach them how to walk and talk, and they start touching things — “Oh, don’t touch that, Junior. Sit down. Stop making noise. Stop banging on the pots and pans.” Every one of those is an experiment. It’s an experiment in acoustics. But you don’t want your pots dirty, so you tell them to stop.

You’re afraid your dish might break, so you tell them to stop playing with the china. Well, what’s the cost of replacing your dish? A few dollars. If it’s expensive, maybe twenty dollars. Why is it that you don’t spend that, but you’ll easily write a check to send your kid to some fancy school for thirty or forty thousand dollars a year? “Oh, because at the end, they’ll have the degree from this school.” It ain’t about the degree. It’s about: How do you think? That doesn’t have to come from an institution, it comes from your trajectory through life and whether your appetite for learning, whether your urge to query the unfolding of nature around you is nurtured or quelled. That’s the difference. “Squashed.” “Quelled” is too calm. “Squashed.”

What happens, the kid goes and plays in the mud. “Don’t play in the mud; you’ll get your clothes …” There’s bugs in the mud. That’s kinda cool. They turn over a rock. “You’ll get dirt on your clothes.” There’s millipedes under the rock. Let the kid find the millipedes. Plucks the — off the rose — “Don’t break the rose like that; that’s a rose.” No, they want to see what’s inside the rose; it’s kinda interesting. The middle is not the same as the outside. Let the experiment run its course.

Flag Post

Time for a new quote:

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”

-George Patton

What I get from this is that anyone who is “on top” can get knocked down. A truly successful person will not let it stop them and will work thier way back up. Anyone can “hit bottom”. Anyone can fail. It’s what you do when you’re there that determines success.

I do take suggestions for this thread. If anyone has a suggestion for a quote, send me a message.

Flag Post

A whole day and the quote got no discussion at all. I’m moving on to another one:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

-Mahatma Gandhi

Let’s try not to degrade into a religion flame war with this one. There are many so called “religious” people who simply use religion as an excuse to go after what they want. Fanatics and extremists are not religious. They are people who lose sight of the true purpose of the religion. (or maybe never had sight of it to start with)

Flag Post

I don’t know how you can get anything other than a flame war about religions with that quote.

Flag Post

The quote just happens to mentions Christians, but it can be applied to fanatics and extremists of any religion.

Flag Post

It’s a generalising statement. I really don’t think anyone can agree with it other than anti-theists blinded by their beliefs. Not sure what else to add. Sure, I don’t think anyone’s like Christ, but that’s more because everyone’s different than because of the fact they’re much worse.

Flag Post

Dartval
I’d rather change your saying to “politicians and other power/money-targeted liars”.
Cause fanatics typically just “overreact”, but they still base their actions on their religion – the way THEY see it, sure, but they’re honest nonetheless.
Politicians, though, actually USE their (supposed) religion to gain political benefits, totally unrelated to their TRUE beliefs, which could be even opposite to what they SPEAK about.
Btw, Middle Ages had plenty examples of both types, more than often to the extent of having mixtures of both at the same time.
Like, crusades were both political (for kings) and fanatical (for the minority of the crusaders; the other, much bigger part was just “using the opportunity” to get richer through “official robbery”).
Same goes for inquisition – I have no doubt, that only max 1-2% of them were actual zealots; the majority was just using Christianity for the sake of simply robbing defenseless people.
(I have no examples of non-European religions to talk about, so that’s the only reason I’m focusing on Christianity; I’m sure that Orientals were at least as bad in this.)

Flag Post

I find it funny how religious people can have fanatics, but politicians are all “bad”.

Flag Post

The fundamental problem with Gandhi’s quote is that he puts all Christians on the same boat. Believe it or not we aren’t all the the genocidal,faggot hating, ignorant, bigots that people make us sound like. Although I agree 100% that there have been horrible things done by “Christians”, guess what? no matter what kind of group your in, whether it is Muslim, Atheist, or Hindu, there will always be those idiots that will make the whole group look bad.
Aside from that, the “Christians” (If you can even call them that) that Gandhi was exposed to, were not living out true biblical principles. That is also why it makes me so upset when I hear about groups like westboro baptist church, and personally I believe there is a specifically hot place in hell waiting for them.

Bottom line is I’m Christian, I love gay people (even though i don’t agree with their life style), I love druggies, I love everyone!
If you really look at the character of Christ you see this very divine love, and if Jesus was willing to love everyone, then as a Christian (follower of Christ) it is my duty to love on all peoples because they are beautifully and wonderfully made. It is not my job to criticize other people or condemn them.

So please don’t base your opinion of Christians on a few jerks who claimed to be Christian, but rather look at the Christians who are actually acting Christ-like.

Flag Post

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
-Mahatma Gandhi

): British soldiers at the time were cruel. We would just end up with a big Biblical interpretation debate. At least now India is free.
EDIT: He does seem to be putting all Christians in the same category, but we all know there are many different Christian beliefs…

“He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.”
-William Blake

You can’t make a difference if you do nothing. Be brave.

“Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.”
-Oscar Wilde

What exactly is a person’s country? The people or the government? Don’t put all your trust in your government…

“Hell does not exist to punish sinners. Hell exists to ensure that no one sins.”
-Jun’ya Ota (aka ZUN)

I’ve considered this before, but pushed it aside.
EDIT: “My opinion on this quote is that just the threat of a negative consequence can discourage an action.”
If it means that, then, well, whichever consequence is worse, you will probably try to avoid.

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”
-Oscar Wilde

…What? Is he talking about peer pressure? I think if you have an open mind to other beliefs, then you will find yourself truly unique.

-Albert Einstein

Is it if particular knowledge is accessible, or how it is accessed? Hm… I don’t understand it…

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”
-George Patton

(: I agree. I guess it depends on your definition of success.

Flag Post

If you read the Bible properly (I get that it’s easier said than done), you get the impression that Hell and Heaven are not places, but rather what you make of your life and those around you. Heaven means “God’s space” and if God is all around us then surely earth must be His space too. If we want to be in Heaven then we have to work on making a just life for ourselves and those around us, like helping people and being kind to everyone and not expecting anything in return. Hell is what happens when you aren’t living a good life and you are a real shithead to everyone and selfish. Your life becomes miserable. I think one problem people have with Christianity is this “heaven is a place in the sky where you go when you die” notion. That’s not what the Bible says. Whether you are accepted by God or not is not down to your actions, it’s if you are willing to repent your sins and forgive people and accept Jesus as your saviour, etc. Another issue is aggressive preaching by the followers. When Jesus asked people to spread the Word, he didn’t mean “go knock on the door and tell someone they’re going to Hell if they don’t believe”. He meant spread the Word in all you say and do, like being kind and helpful and being there for people. Jesus also didn’t say “hate on everyone who doesn’t believe in me”. He wanted everyone to be nice to each other no matter what and show forgiveness.

Flag Post

I agree with most of the bottom half, but the top half seems to say you don’t believe in any type of afterlife. What do you mean by that?

Flag Post

I see a lot of truth in the current quote, many Christians do not follow the teaching’s of Christ. Religion is just interpretation though, there’s a lot of killing of rival groups in the Old Testament, when in the New Testament this kind of behaviour isn’t really encouraged. In the end there will always people who proclaim themself followers of a religion but pay not attention to what it’s teachings are. However all religions should display tolerance even when other’s beliefs clash with their own.

Flag Post

@ murder machine
Im sorry but I completely with your interpretation of the Bible. The Bible clearly states that both heaven and Hell are real places.

Do you offer any bible verses that support your argument for the nonexistence of a heaven or hell?

Flag Post

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
-Aesop

The way I see it, this is a criticism of government. A lot of polititians are in it for thier own benefit. They just want the money and the recognition and they don’t realize what they are supposed to do. They are supposed to do what is best for the people, not themselves.