Good news for all you people who don’t have any spiritual beliefs out there (locked)

57 posts

Flag Post

Who says atheism automatically comes with the belief of no afterlife?

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Who says atheism comes with the inherent belief of no afterlife?

Because an afterlide wouldn’t make sense without a god to create it (except in this situation).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

Because an afterlide wouldn’t make sense without a god to create it (except in this situation).

Reincarnation.

/thread

Flag Post

Reincarnation.

Fine. Would it make you happy if I changed the title to “Good news for all you people who don’t have any spiritual beliefs out there”? Also, how does reincarnation end the thread? It has nothing to do with the OP…

Flag Post

Reincarnation.

Fine. Would it make you happy if I changed the title to “Good news for all you people who don’t have any spiritual beliefs out there”?

Yes, because that’s more accurate.

Flag Post

Fine. I’ll do that then, but they should make a word for that.

Flag Post

A-spiritualist.

Flag Post

A-spiritualist.

Sure, I’ll use that for now.

Edit: What the heck is with this lack of a correct word for it?

Flag Post

I’m surprised that nobody is posting. I ran up and down the streets for hours, in excitement when I had the realization stated in the OP.

Flag Post
There isn’t an afterlife

Citation needed

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:
There isn’t an afterlife

Citation needed

I can’t have one because they are impossible to disprove…

Does nobody care that I realized the greatest thing ever?

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:
There isn’t an afterlife

Citation needed

I can’t have one because they are impossible to disprove…

Along with a lot of other things in life.

It’s also impossible to prove, you know.

Does nobody care that I realized the greatest thing ever?

Because it’s basically like replaying a movie.

And it’s a big stretch of the imagination.

Flag Post
Because it’s basically like replaying a movie.

I don’t understand. What do you mean?

And it’s a big stretch of the imagination.

How so?

Flag Post

A few things are wrong with this.
Number one, this assumes that your memory is transferred. There may be someone like you, but there will never be another you. Even if they can duplicate your memories, it still won’t be you. If I was cloned, for instance, that person would be exactly like me- but it still wouldn’t be me.
Number two, you’re assuming the universe will live forever. It won’t. Unless something really magical happens with black holes, the simple fact of the matter is that we will run out of energy. When the suns die, we die, to. Unless we can somehow make it into the next universe. Which would be kind of a dick move.

We aren’t built to live forever. We can’t and we shouldn’t. The consequences severely outweigh the benefits. It’s better to accept that all things must end and do what we can while we’re alive than hang on to an off chance that there is a way to cheat death.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1132:

A few things are wrong with this.
Number one, this assumes that your memory is transferred. There may be someone like you, but there will never be another you. Even if they can duplicate your memories, it still won’t be you. If I was cloned, for instance, that person would be exactly like me- but it still wouldn’t be me.
Number two, you’re assuming the universe will live forever. It won’t. Unless something really magical happens with black holes, the simple fact of the matter is that we will run out of energy. When the suns die, we die, to. Unless we can somehow make it into the next universe. Which would be kind of a dick move.

We aren’t built to live forever. We can’t and we shouldn’t. The consequences severely outweigh the benefits. It’s better to accept that all things must end and do what we can while we’re alive than hang on to an off chance that there is a way to cheat death.

You should read the OP. Also, it’s perfectly possible for every cell to come together exactly as it was prior to you dying, just extremely unlikely.
Assuming time is infinite, and the curvature of the universe is more than one
Sure, for every ‘the same’ you, there would be infinite different yous, but who cares?

Flag Post

I believe in an afterlife, for 2 main reasons. But I don’t really believe in a god, or something like that.

1. Its sort of like those old Sci-Fi movies, with robots that get feelings, or those Dr. Who episodes, where someone tries to kill a robot that has feelings, or destroy those feelings. I believe you can’t, you can’t just destroy those feelings/emotions, and somehow you live on through those emotions, thus you have an afterlife. How the hell this would all work.. I dont have the smallest idea…. which brings me to reason number 2.

2. I WANT an afterlife, simple as that. I’m really into science, and logic, but this one point.. its screw science, screw logic, screw everything, I simply refuse to beleive I go through hell in my life, and there is nothing to look forward to down the road! Sure, there might be nothing at the end of the road, but it gives me hope now, and when I do reach the end, I won’t care! I’ll either be in my perfect paradise, and won’t care at all! Or.. I’ll be in a hole in the ground, with no afterlife, so I won’t care either!

Flag Post

Discuss how atheism is no longer extremely depressing.

Even in that context, it sounds equally depressing. You’re discussing multiverses, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:You should read the OP. Also, it’s perfectly possible for every cell to come together exactly as it was prior to you dying, just extremely unlikely.

But that person would not be you. It would have the same personality and everything (assuming that such a thing could even happen- it really wouldn’t, as the future you would have to be raised in the exact same manner as you with the exact same friends, etc.) but it would not be you. When you die, your presence is forever removed from this universe. You do not suddenly come back and become this person simply because that person is identical to you. I really don’t see how this is particularly comforting in way to those who fear death, for the individual will still be dead.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Even in that context, it sounds equally depressing. You’re discussing multiverses, right?

No, I’m not. Why can’t any of you guys grasp this concept?

Originally posted by Darkscanner:You should read the OP. Also, it’s perfectly possible for every cell to come together exactly as it was prior to you dying, just extremely unlikely.

But that person would not be you. It would have the same personality and everything (assuming that such a thing could even happen- it really wouldn’t, as the future you would have to be raised in the exact same manner as you with the exact same friends, etc.) but it would not be you. When you die, your presence is forever removed from this universe. You do not suddenly come back and become this person simply because that person is identical to you. I really don’t see how this is particularly comforting in way to those who fear death, for the individual will still be dead.

I’m not going to have this argument, mainly because that is a philosophical question, that none of us know the answer to.

Flag Post

No, I’m not. Why can’t any of you guys grasp this concept?

Sorry geez. Did you specify above you weren’t talking about separate universes?

Flag Post

I’m a Christian. My opinion is Jesus will resurrect you. I think that our memories are there and its permanent, currently we don’t know how the universe work yet, but the bible said in the beginning God created Heaven and Earth, what is this Heaven? But one thing for certain is memories are permanent and like every history they could be traced back.
In the future people could create a computer more sophisticated than nanochip yet as big as a planet, this computer could calculate the memory of the universe, or depixelized fragments of history that they got. Connect this computer to a Virtual Reality you could simulate the past, not just the events but also the thoughts lead to the decision making quite accurately.
Based on this depixellization, you could conclude personalities of people who are in the past and these personalities must be unique since they are all connected to reality in unique ways are made up of connections of specific objects and memories, these are unique that’s why they are history, if you made a duplicate than that would be a fake and would have incomplete sections or inaccurate sections. Thus you get the memory of the people, then you got their inclinations, that is the inclination to keep themselves interacting, that is their spirit, their love.

You Got them, you could bring them back to life in a VR or In reality if those VR were connected to robots.

However there might be still insufficient power to trace back everyone, so only God who has the Heaven could actually, and accurately do so. in Heaven such computer might have already existed since the beginning, and is backuping reality as we speak.

We were built to live forever, Jesus is prove, he came to show that humans actually made to live forever. But sin gave access to not love, if you live forever and you don’t love it would be a torture and the torture went on forever and ever. But if you love life, then you had God since God is Love, then you’ll live forever in love. That’s the best.

Flag Post

@Sleep—I like your ideas about the computer. When you say “memory”, what do you mean? I think, personally, that there are a lot of things outside of our comprehension but when we die and go to be with Him it will make sense. In an everyday sense, it already is logical, since we only use about 30% of our brains. That’s a huge resource that is going untapped.

We were built to live forever

I think he meant our physical beings. As they are right now, they have a span of about 80-100 years (much less for pets, obviously). They cannot survive past that in our world the way they are. Seeing the aging process can actually be a very sad thing.

Flag Post

So, being one myself, I know the idea of death can be really depressing. There isn’t an afterlife, and because time exists, you have to die at some point. I personally remember arguing with a friend about the existence of a god, and his logic pretty much boiled down to “If there isn’t an afterlife, what’s the point of living? Why shouldn’t I just kill myself now?”, which is actually a pretty sound argument for believing.

No its fucking stupid argument. How does the existence of an Afterlife making any significant difference in there being a point in living or not?

Luckily, I had a great realization last night! Assuming time is infinite, and the curvature of the universe is more than one, we are all immortal! You see, just as we have to die at some point, we also have to come back to life in the exact condition we were before. Sure, for every ‘the same’ you, there would be infinite different yous, but who cares? We get to live forever!

1. Atheism is of itself not extremely depressing, not everyone is depressed when thinking about death. And anyone telling me that Atheist are more depressed than religious people when thinking about death sure does not know shit.
2. Again just like with the afterlife how does living forever make any fucking difference. Put up some more thought arguments behind it, then lame stuff.

Originally posted by Sleepallnight:

I am not going to go into the technical improbability of some of your claims since they are not really important. What i think is important, is your claim that god can recreate people based on their memories. Problem is that the memories a person has are unique for pretty much every second of his life. The you now is greatly different then the you a week ago. The memories are different and so are their inclinations(their love as you put it). Even if god has the power to bring back such memories which should he pick and why. Think about before answering and i mean really think about. How do memories change during life, how the change effects the lives of the people.

Flag Post

@Sleep—I like your ideas about the computer. When you say “memory”, what do you mean? I think, personally, that there are a lot of things outside of our comprehension but when we die and go to be with Him it will make sense. In an everyday sense, it already is logical, since we only use about 30% of our brains. That’s a huge resource that is going untapped.

We were built to live forever

I think he meant our physical beings. As they are right now, they have a span of about 80-100 years (much less for pets, obviously). They cannot survive past that in our world the way they are. Seeing the aging process can actually be a very sad thing.

Thank you Twilight, memories are objects, computer scientists should have the best definition for it. IMO memories are formation made after experiencing interactions.
Aging is a process I could only comprehend a little, but there must be a purpose for aging, new skills to learn and interesting things to explore. When I was young I was active and energetic much, then I tend to not be like that anymore and became more careful, this enabled me to finish thing faster than before actually. So maybe there’s something in aging that could trigger new skills or new excitements.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnnyBeGood:
Originally posted by Sleepallnight:

I am not going to go into the technical improbability of some of your claims since they are not really important. What i think is important, is your claim that god can recreate people based on their memories. Problem is that the memories a person has are unique for pretty much every second of his life. The you now is greatly different then the you a week ago. The memories are different and so are their inclinations(their love as you put it). Even if god has the power to bring back such memories which should he pick and why. Think about before answering and i mean really think about. How do memories change during life, how the change effects the lives of the people.

Well I want to post things so that people could correct them because me alone might not be able to notice my own thoughts objectively. In terms of memories, that’s why I also talked about personalities, and the connection or the relationships between memories to other memories are personalities. I want to know about the technical mistakes if you will.