Time travel and its effects

39 posts

Flag Post

Let’s imagine, that it’s technically possible to make a time machine (how, we don’t care, but somehow someone succeeded).
Now, the REAL question that arises – what will be the OUTCOMES of time travel.
That’s what I wanna discuss.
NOTE: This is a sci-fi topic, I’m pretty sure, that time travel is IMPOSSIBLE physically, not just technically today.
But that’s part of the discussion, too.
Now, let’s view the various time travel effects from the sci-fi media.

1. Back to the Future.
The classics. :D
Effects:
a. Travel to the past creates an alternative timeline, which explains the changes Marty saw the first time.
It does NOT explain the “photo flicking” feature, used throughout the trilogy.
This is the weak spot of the movie.
If Marty changed his “present”, while still in the “past” – his “present” photo should either not react (full independence of timelines) or not get restored (separate timelines anyways).
b. When he came back to his NEW “present”, what happened to his “present” self?
Or rather, why the ONLY changes were in his family and Biff, not the EVENTS?
He did see himself traveling to the past…
But the chance of him being born (and live on) the SAME way is weird, cause his parents met and fell in love the “wrong” way.
This is another weak spot of “recurring present”, after traveling to the past.
c. Movie 2 is even weirder.
The Doc is contradicting himself by traveling back to the “present” from the “future”, then taking Marty with him to CHANGE that “future”.
But according to himself, that “future” should’ve been already ALTERED by his travels!
Just another “glitch”.
There are more, but it’s enough, let’s go to another example.

2. Dragon Ball Z.
Trunks and Cell…
OHHH
OK, this time the effects are totally DIFFERENT – you CAN’T change YOUR timeline, though you can affect an alternative one.

3. Time Cop (I think…)
The only effect I remember – and which was the NEW one:
The same persons from different times ANNIHILATE when touching.

SO, what’s YOUR opinion or what can you ADD? :D
DISCUSS!

Flag Post

No there’s before and there’s after, if the before became the after, then its the after not the before. You can’t travel back and change things around as simple as that. The only way to travel back is to remember things and we do that all the time. But this is just, my opinion.

Flag Post

Sleep
Pretty much why I say that time travel is PHYSICALLY impossible. :DDD

Flag Post
Originally posted by somebody613:

Sleep
Pretty much why I say that time travel is PHYSICALLY impossible. :DDD

ok :I

Flag Post

I don’t intend to actually respond to the topic, I just thought I’d throw something out for you:

Read up on what an AX thread is, and adjust this thread accordingly. It removes arguments about the possibility of time travel, because it has to be accepted as true for the discussion.

Other then that, have fun.

Flag Post

I don’t believe you can alter the Past, as it has already happened, thus anything you would have done during that time period during the past, would have already happened, and the effects of that would already occur. So, in that sense, nobody from the future killed Hitler as a kid, and they never will.

And I don’t think you can change the future either, as that hasn’t happened yet, theres nothing to change.

Flag Post

{This post was removed by a mod]

Flag Post

Every time I see a thread on something like this, I always think about a guy who came on the internet several years ago. He said he was a time traveler and was sent back to get an IBM 5100 computer. he was bombarded with questions and for the most part answered them. He told of his time period and how different it was. It was extremely interesting because he was never proven to be a fake. He told everyone the date he would return to his time and when that date came, no one ever heard from him again.

I don’t know if he was real or not, but if he was fake, he was one really smart cookie. He went by the moniker of John Titor. A couple of these links have pictures of his supposed time machine.

http://www.johntitor.com/

http://www.anomalies.net/object/johntitor.html

http://johntitor.strategicbrains.com/TimeMachine.cfm

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread61544/pg1

http://www.timetravelinstitute.com/ttiforum/ubbthreads.php

Flag Post

The John Titor-thing seems to be a really nice example of someone using his creative writing skills to fool/entertain people, if you ask me. Especially, since none of his predictions have really come true so far.

Flag Post

I honestly think this is hard to speculate considering we have no clue about how to travel through time whatsoever. Some people believe that blackholes are the only way to travel through time, but there’s never been any proof.

My belief is that if time travel becomes possible, you’ll probably only be able to transport to the future, as there aren’t many paradoxes that I can think of arising from traveling into the future.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

The John Titor-thing seems to be a really nice example of someone using his creative writing skills to fool/entertain people, if you ask me. Especially, since none of his predictions have really come true so far.

Actually a couple of them have. He talked about CERN and their black holes. He talked about the big tsunami and it killing so many people, I forget where. He talked about a civil war in the US starting in 2004, but I think he was off on that one. Did you look at the pictures?

The John Titor thing could never be proven one way or the other. The guy was really excellent in his writing. On those sites he was posting, some of them really grilled him and he always had an intelligent answer or in some cases sidestepped the question with a question.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tzar:

I honestly think this is hard to speculate considering we have no clue about how to travel through time whatsoever. Some people believe that blackholes are the only way to travel through time, but there’s never been any proof.

My belief is that if time travel becomes possible, you’ll probably only be able to transport to the future, as there aren’t many paradoxes that I can think of arising from traveling into the future.

I have heard that scientists managed to transport an atom from one place to another. I don’t know much about it, just heard about it. I always wondered how in the heck they could track an atom.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Actually a couple of them have. He talked about CERN and their black holes. He talked about the big tsunami and it killing so many people, I forget where. He talked about a civil war in the US starting in 2004, but I think he was off on that one. Did you look at the pictures?

Vague predictions are often times the ones most likely to come true, since people tend to make things relate to each other and fit together.

Flag Post

Good point. Most of his predictions were vague. The only one that really got my attention was the one about CERN. He pretty much nailed that one. I wonder if they have made black holes yet. I know there was a big scare about them for awhile there.

Flag Post

It was extremely interesting because he was never proven to be a fake.

He was never approached by scientists. In fact, he was most likely only approached by dumb people. There’s no need for us to prove his stories to be fake. There’s a need for him to prove his stories to be real. And I simply know, without having to read up on it, they’re fake. But okay, I’ll assume this is an AX thread, so I’ll go on about time travel and its consequences.

What I believe would be most logical is that travelling to the past creates an alternate timeline. Just to prevent the “but you’ll never know if you actually travelled back in the past” replies, there’s bound to be a traveller that revealed himself, and it’s probable his actions were recorded. That traveller learning of these facts can then decide to do things differently, or not travel back there at all. So, if you do go, that timeline switches in a new direction. However, this also gets you stuck in that timeline, since travelling to the future would make you travel back to their future.

Flag Post

Vague predictions are often times the ones most likely to come true

Not true.
Look at all of the failed hypotheses formulated by educated scientists.
A vague prediction is exactly what the name implies: it is a prediction made without complete insight in regards to whatever it is the person is predicting.
You cannot make an accurate prediction if you are unable to provide proper details in regards to what your prediction entails.

I always wondered how in the heck they could track an atom.

I don’t think it would be possible to track an atom, honestly.
Firstly, there is the issue of its size.
Secondly, there is the issue of other atoms.
I do not see how scientists could differ one atom from another, considering I’m fairly certain just about every atom consists of the same ‘anatomy’, so to speak.

Back to the Future

I don’t think using back to the future is really all that valid, to be quite honest with you.
It is a science fiction movie, therefore the things mentioned in said film are completely fictional ideas come up with my the creator of the movie.

Dragon Ball Z.

Really?
Using an anime as a source of information in regards to time travel?
I certainly do not find this to be very valid.

I don’t think you could really reference any forms of fictional media when discussing this topic.
You need to use logical thinking/reasoning and think of what exactly may happen if you were to travel back/forward in time.

If time travel were possible, I believe altering something in the past would definitely have an effect on the future.
If you were to kill a man, his future children would be put out of existence due to the simple fact that he is no longer there to produce said children.

It would be very difficult to send someone back/forward in time, however.
This would require you to somehow transport all of their atoms to a completely different era in time.
Scientists have yet to efficiently transport a single atom to another place, let alone another time.
Plus, there is the issue of having to properly assemble said atoms into the person being transported.
The time machine would need to acquire a proper understanding of the human anatomy right down to the atom, which would be rather difficult.

Flag Post

He never would give his location Dark. He claimed to be living with his mom and dad…and his younger self. I forget if he said Florida or Oklahoma. One night I was listening to Coast2Coast on the radio late and they had this lawyer on who was supposedly representing his family and he wouldn’t give any information either, which seems a bit strange to me. He really didn’t give out any information at all. When his interview was over I was left with the feeling he was a fake.

You’re right, it is up to him to prove his stories. He supposedly returned to his time with the computer. You should read up on him, it is interesting to read. I like to read odd stuff like that. I have several books on unsolved mysteries and things like that. I think it is neat to have things out there with no answers. :)

Flag Post

After you mentioned him, I looked it up on wikipedia. There isn’t much worth mentioning about him. Many of his specific predictions have been completely wrong. Here is a short list:

• 2008 – Civil War in the United States.
  • CERN would discover the basis for time travel sometime around 2001, with the creation of miniature black holes about half a year after his departure.
  • As a result of the many conflicts, there were no official Olympics after 2004.

There has been no civil war, CERN hasn’t created miniature black holes, and the Olympics still happen.

Flag Post

Time travelling into the past is possible

Flag Post

well, you can freeze yourself in time, which is the same as traveling to the future, really.

but we cannot generate alternate time-lines. that whole theory, though considered dogma by some, is completely fictional.

skipping itme, seeing the future, and moving to a stored database of some kind of the past is the only forms of time-travel i see theoretically plausible.

Flag Post

It worked!

Flag Post

he has a point besides doing that to much would mess-up the space time flux

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
NOTE: This is a sci-fi topic, I’m pretty sure, that time travel is IMPOSSIBLE physically, not just technically today

Backwards time travel isn’t possible within our own understanding of time…however a similar act could be carried out in another universe or dimension, and I’ll talk about that. Forward time travel isn’t just theoretical, it happens even on earth; just at a much smaller scale than what you’d expect.

As for which of those seems the most probable if backwards time travel were possible, I’d say probably the DBZ one. A lot of people believe in an infinite amount of parallel universes, and any event that has the potential to happen in our universe happens in at least one other universe. So, by going back in time to defeat Cell in a different “timeline” translates more to defeating him in another universe, i.e. carrying out the events of one particular universe. So what it essentially boils down to is: you can’t affect events that already happened, but you can affect events that are bound to happen in an alternate universe. This all assumes this multiverse theory is correct, and that there is a way of transcending the boundaries of our own dimension/universe.