Why Do You Drink?

28 posts

Flag Post

At what age did you first drink and why? I’ve had liquor at young age wine, beer and sprites and I never really like them and after those first few taste I have never picked up another can or bottle of the same substance. I don’t know why people drink it. It taste bad, kills brain cells and makes you sick. I understand after you had a few you get a great feeling but at a cost of self respect and health.

Flag Post

lkol why bnot

Flag Post

Red Bull.

Flag Post

I’ve tried wine and such, just sips. I, personally, wouldn’t drink. But maybe a little wine ever so often, since it can actually be healthy for you, when I’m old enough to. Though of course, like anything, too much consumption of wine is bad for you. I agree to an extent, I don’t like the taste and I don’t think it’s right for people to go overboard with wine, liquor, beer, or any alcoholic beverage. It kills brain cells, it hurts you, and it can make you very sick. Though getting sick from it, means that you must have consumed more than what your body could handle.

Apparently people use it as a sort of anti-depressant too, many people that I know have resorted to drinking, or smoking, because of depression. Going in to drinking hard liquor and such, is going a bit too far, and consuming more than what your body can take daily, would mean you are an alcoholic. Of course, like I said before, too much of anything is bad, you can get very sick and even have permanent damage if you don’t be careful with some of the stuff you do in life. I’m speaking from my mental understanding from the difference between drunk and sober drinking. Drinking can be OK if you watch what you consume. Either way, I think I’ll stick with tea and careful wine, when I’m older.

Flag Post

They say a few drinks is actuallly good for you, but after that a little bad. And too much is too much. I only rarely drink, at parties and such, and only one time I really drank too much. It’s just being careful, I guess.

Flag Post

Because I like the taste.

That’s all.

Flag Post

I’ve decided previously not to drink.
Maybe lightly…

Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

Because I like the taste.

That’s all.

Flag Post

When I was 15 and went to a bunch of awesome parties.

It tastes good and feels good, bro.

Flag Post

Because if you have self control, then you won’t have any problems. Although you may not like the taste, plenty of people do. If you develop a palate, there’s a world of fine wines and scotch explore. Some people love trying out beers—the selection is endless.

So anyway, when it comes to college parties and binge drinking, people do it because its fun, socially acceptable, its easy to meet people, easier to have sex, and no one really considers the likelihood of vomiting or breaking stuff in their decisions to drink. And if they do, then “fuck it, live and let live.” It’s bad for the liver, but ultimately pretty fun in the short term.

If you drink in moderation, then it can be a fun social lubricant that helps everyone laugh easier, tell stories, feel a little warm, and generally have a good time. It can taste great on its own, or be the perfect compliment or counterpoint to your main course (soda rarely is.) A glass or two of wine each day can promote good heart health, and all sorts of wine and spirits may have antioxidant phenols and tannins. In many countries now, and for much of civilized history, beer has been an important part of one’s diet.

Flag Post

You probably didn’t like the taste of coffee either, but you eventually acquire a taste for it. There’s also a multitude of flavors of alcohol, and you’ll undoubtedly like one of them. Alcohol does NOT kill brain cells, oxygen deprivation does. If you drink in moderation, you’re not damaging anything but your liver, and even your liver gets stronger if not pickled regularly.

You’re clearly young, and the “I had a sip and now I have the grounds to dismiss the whole thing” phase will pass. I remember sipping my dad’s Busch beer and thinking “Who thought that gross shit up?” I would have missed out on the wonderful world of micro-brews and craft beer if I had stuck with that assumption. Not to mention, social drinking is a wonderful way to drop a lot of the predispositions of society and communicate on a more uninhibited way.

That said, what people are doing these days, getting blackout drunk and having no plan for the night, is a complete abuse of the drug and in my opinion, an indication of poor education and introduction to alcohol. Parents need to teach their kids how to drink, not other kids.

Flag Post

I do it because it’s fun, and in moderation doesn’t really harm you. Though in all honesty I can hardly say I have it in moderation. Also it makes hanging out with your friends a bit funner and gives a sense of unpredictability, which stops every night from being boring. I don’t know what I’d do with my friends to be honest, there just aint much to do round here. I guess I’ll probably continue drinking alot untill I finish full-time education. Also, it probably doesn’t hurt that it makes you feel grown up, which is a thing lots of kids try and make themselves seem.

Flag Post

I never started drinking until I got on this forum…………………………………….sigh…………..

Just kidding. I never liked the taste and have never been a drinker. I like a glass of wine once in awhile or one of those wine coolers. The rest…nah.

I have been known to drink a beer once in a great while, but haven’t drank one in over a year, or maybe two.

Flag Post

Because vodka is delicious, especially when mixed with tonic water and a lime.

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:

Because vodka is delicious, especially when mixed with tonic water and a lime.

Replace that vodka with gin and then we’re talking.

Flag Post

There’s usually very little reason for me….
If there’s beer in the fridge, I start drinking from the moment I wake up.
I usually only prefer to drink on my own, but sometimes people drag me out and get me to drink with them >:

I have to admit, though, I made a silly mistake last night.
A girl had been depressing me lately, but then I remembered I had a full cask of red wine that had been sitting right behind me for the last two years, and then I was happy again :D

Flag Post

I drink water, and I drink it because I’m thirsty.

What a dumb question.

Flag Post

Amaretto liqueur. In small doses (20-40 ml) after work. Because it tastes good.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Yurii_74:

Amaretto liqueur. In small doses (20-40 ml) after work. Because it tastes good.

You should try Frangelico. It’s hazelnut liqueur, rather than almond like Amaretto. Phenomenal, though. Sipping it is like opening up a whole box of fine chocolates inside of your mouth.

Flag Post

Just a bit of weak wine here and then.
Why, I don’t know :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

They say a few drinks is actuallly good for you, but after that a little bad. And too much is too much. I only rarely drink, at parties and such, and only one time I really drank too much. It’s just being careful, I guess.

It’s the polyphenols in the red wine. They’re supposed to have cardiovascular benefits if consumed in moderation—like one to two glasses a night. Beyond that, it starts to damage other stuff, like brain cells and liver.

Flag Post

Relieves stress I suppose. I really don’t know why else. I guess I social drink to “loosen up” a bit. Really ain’t no other reason to drink. I really ain’t got no serious problems or issues to deal with. I suppose it’s just something to do. My boys and I find ourselves bored quite a bit.

Flag Post

So basically the only good reasons I should drink is to socialize and let lose with very few positive health affects.

Flag Post

Jagermeister that’s been chilling in the freezer over night, on Ice.

Mm. German.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BryceK:

So basically the only good reasons I should drink is to socialize and let lose with very few positive health affects.

Well….on the surface, I’d find your assessment to be pretty much right on target.
BUT, I’d then see it as probably being said w/ yer tongue slapped up against yer cheek.

Let’s see:
1) “should” is a tad bit strong. Perhaps: would or might.
2) One shouldn’t downplay that “socialize” aspect any too much. Alcohol certainly does have (in most ppl?) an inhibition diminishing effect….pretty much whatever the cause of it. Haven’t ya heard the old saying about when a young man is trying to “persuade” a woman to have sex w/ him: Candy is dandy….but, liquor is quicker.
3) This brings me to your: “let loose”. I’ve cover most of this just above. However, I want to be clear that “letting loose” is completely & hugely subjective…covering BOTH positive & negative aspects.

BUT, from my knowledge of the “positive health affects”, I’d say ya’re very on target here.

Flag Post

I started drinking mildly when 15. I started out with hard cider and beer. I just went on a sober streak for 6 months which I broke Saturday on purpose. I drink recreationally as I like relaxing with a cold beer or a good glass of wine. (Preferably chianti or amarone) I some times go on a binge with a few friends, but that has always been quite rare.