AX: We have perfected cloning

23 posts

Flag Post

I remember watching something on TV about teleportation. It was basically a documentary series about how things seen in science fiction could be achieved in the real world. By the end of the episode, there was a technically possible concept: the subject is scanned at a pod in one location, the data is sent to another pod, and the second pod reconstructs atoms based on the data that was scanned at the first pod.

However, there was one slight issue. The subject in the first pod is still there, it was not actually teleported, just scanned and copied. In other words, it was cloned. Since this would work on anything that can be put in the pod, living or not, such a device could have many useful applications.

Let’s assume that we are in the future and that we have built such a device. The process of scanning a subject at one pod and reconstructing it at another takes about a few minutes. Whatever is put in the first pod, an exact copy is created at the second. If a person is put in one pod, an exact copy with the same appearance, personality, and memories is constructed in the second pod. If a crate of food is placed in one pod, an identical crate of food appears in the second pod.

What would be the ethics of the various uses for this device?
It could create an army, mass produce any product, even end world hunger.

Flag Post

Your forgetting that the pod which produces the copy(with the described technology) needs materials to produce the copy not just the information about what to copy.

So yes, given the right resources it could create an army, mass(well at least 1 every few minutes) produce any product and end world hunger.
But if you have the resources there will probably be more efficient ways to do all of the above, than rearranging and reconstructing Atoms to make copies.

Flag Post

I’m going to take the idealist’s position here.
A device like that would end nearly all the problems we are currently fighting on this planet. We could feed the hungry, wars over resources would be useless and the economy with al its problems like the gap between rich and poor and due to that unfair dis-/advantages based on where you come from (e.g. education) would be over, now that technically everything is freely available and science and technology could make huge leaps in a fraction of the time they would usually need to make big discoveries (stem cell research? Give me one stem cell.). Humanity could focus on projects that are absolute science-fiction today, like space exploration.

Abuse is of course an issue. Like, a Muammar Gaddafi-like guy making a gazillion copies of himself because he is so awesome. But I am an idealist. I’ll let someone else deal with that.

One question: this device theoretically can build a copy of everything. But what does it use to build that? Surely, it does need <edit> HEAPS OF</edit> energy and resources. Maybe this is not that great after all.
Ghaaa! I’m an idealist. I don’t care about that stuff. I’m an idealist. I’m an idealist. I’m an idealist. I’m an idealist. I’m an idealist. I’m an idealist. Also, I’ve been royally ninja’d.

Flag Post

The last thing a power crazed despot would want to do is create an army of rivals.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnnyBeGood:

Your forgetting that the pod which produces the copy(with the described technology) needs materials to produce the copy not just the information about what to copy.

Let’s assume that the device works by reconstructing atoms.
The first pod scans the exact arrangement of the atoms of the subject, then the second pod rearranges atoms into a copy of the subject. The atoms that it uses to produce the copy come from stockpiles of raw material.

Flag Post

Just one problem: it’s very difficult to analyze quantum sized objects without changing them in such a way that if done on a large scale would kill a human.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thijser:

Just one problem: it’s very difficult to analyze quantum sized objects without changing them in such a way that if done on a large scale would kill a human.

It’s an AX thread. We are assuming that the device exists and works as described.

The thread is about the use of such a device.

Flag Post

Alright the moment you use it there will be 2 of you. The clone would therefor be the same person and have the same rights as a normal person.

Flag Post

end world hunger

I doubt it. The creators will ask a tremendous amount of money and pretty much abuse society to a point where they can’t afford any of it, and the device will be used privately and by the richest of the rich. The poor will become even poorer due to being replaced by cloned robots or whatever I can assume with this AX. The rich will become even richer due to not having to pay the clones. Basically, a nightmare if it ever gets discovered.

But that’s just the pessimist in me. It’s possible a poor person discovers it, asks for a humble fee, and allows it to be used by the government to end most problems in the world.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

The rich will become even richer due to not having to pay the clones.

You’re assuming that clones won’t have basic rights. I guarantee you that if this ever happens, clones will be given rights. They could ask for pay, and if they don’t get better pay, they could just leave.

Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

The poor will become even poorer due to being replaced by cloned robots or whatever I can assume with this AX.

Although that may be true, goods will also become easier to produce, making prices drop. It balances out.

It’s the pessimist in you, indeed.

Flag Post

You’re assuming that clones won’t have basic rights. I guarantee you that if this ever happens, clones will be given rights. They could ask for pay, and if they don’t get better pay, they could just leave.

Nothing to guarantee. This is completely fictional. I guess we should put that as an AX to improve discussion material, but it certainly wasn’t guaranteed.

Although that may be true, goods will also become easier to produce, making prices drop. It balances out.

Huh, I don’t see how that ever balances out. If you, as a poor person, lose your job, I doubt you’re going to be able to pay for anything significant. At the very best, the gap between the rich and the poor doesn’t become all that much affected.

Of course it’s the pessimist in me, but it’s a hypothetical situation, one that probably can’t happen for real. It’s kind of tough to think of what would happen.

Flag Post

Well, there are good, and bad sides to this.

Good- Solve Energy Crisis, Food Shortages, supply shortages, economy problems, poverty, etc.

Bad-

Flag Post

Um…I think we have enough problems with overpopulation already, a bunch of idiots creating thousands of more people that we have to feed, house and take care of (and because their 10 to 1 going to be expensive) have to take better care of than the average person won’t be a good thing. It will really in my vies just make MORE problems.

Flag Post

That might be true if you were to release it to random parts of the populations but if you were going to plan on cloning people you would want to clone the best the brightest bravest and the strongest (+ whatever other things we like to see in a future human race), not the weak who are only using resources.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Wolf654:

Um…I think we have enough problems with overpopulation already, a bunch of idiots creating thousands of more people that we have to feed, house and take care of (and because their 10 to 1 going to be expensive) have to take better care of than the average person won’t be a good thing. It will really in my vies just make MORE problems.

See the part where you can clone anything, which means that you can clone tons of food out of garbage.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

See the part where you can clone anything, which means that you can clone tons of food out of garbage.

Ok got it, but still I have to admit when it comes to cloning food, medicine, resources or any of that stuff it would be great. We would be able to clone endangered species and make them un-endangered, but when we move into the area of cloning people then I just think it’s wrong, plus the more people you clone the more resources you’ll have to clone to take care of them, and what do we gain from cloning ourselves anyway! plus I’d like to know how far in the future they said this would be possible, because I find it hard to believe we would be able to create EXACT clones of the things on the one side that come out completely the same on the other.

Flag Post

Also, wouldn’t cloning create a very weak gene pool, one disease that hits clones hard, and there all dead!

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

p>

I’d like to know how far in the future they said this would be possible, because I find it hard to believe we would be able to create EXACT clones of the things on the one side that come out completely the same on the other.

Here’s the clip

It starts out as a concept for teleportation, but in the end, it is actually a cloning device.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AirmanAlex:

Also, wouldn’t cloning create a very weak gene pool, one disease that hits clones hard, and there all dead!

Well I would guess that if we perfected cloning technology, we’d know a little something about genetic manipulation.

Flag Post

I watched the clip and Uh…um…well I really don’t see that happening at all in the next FEW hundred years, plus it just shows the cloning was a mistake it’s not suppouse to have happened, and sorry for going of the topic here but it just goes to show how dangerous real teleportation would be because you’ll literaly have to rip our atoms apart to send them to another location….THAT’S NOT ACTUALLY A BAD IDEA!! copy the guy and send him off but then obliderate the guy that started it, if the other is an exact copy you’re technicly not killing him.

Flag Post

Like all revolutionary inventions, it is certain that abuse will happen whether it’s directly abusing properties of the device itself (e.g replicating drugs, weapons, gold, plutonium… possibilites are endless) or by disputing over ownership of a device which is quaranteed to induce problems

I wish I had a snazzy quote to insert here predicating “Something that could solve all the problems of human must have its ways of abuse”

Humans are unfortunately often driven by greed, hunger of power and selfishness and we have to learn to cope with these traits first. Unlike in history, these features aren’t globally that much approved which gives us a spark of hope cloning device will not drive world into a nuclear war (not saying it’s impossible to happen)

If only we could use cloning device only to bring equality, hope and welfare to those who need it most, then this cloning device would be a true bless for humanity, but what I know from human nature, I highly doubt that in reality this is simply not possible

Now I know this is AX thread but speaking of gold… in order to replicate gold, you need gold atoms. Where are you going to yank them without using actual gold?

EDIT: And I’m intentionally ignoring consequences and moral of cloning humans

Flag Post

Well, if cloning existed, it would not take long for one of my clones to start a nuclear holocaust, simply because it would be impossible to identify which clone did it.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator