Immortality. page 3

68 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Explanation

I had to reread it a few times but your explanation made sense. Thank you!

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:So if my son touches the wire I should then condemn him and his children for disobedience. Wow, I’m a massive dick.

The wages of sin are death. It’s what the consequences of sin are, much like sticking your hand in a fire will cause you to be burned. God is all like, “EPR, don’t stick your hand in a fire”, and then you do it, and blame God for the burn. The interesting part that is always left off is how God willingly and voluntarily proffered payment for the debt with His own life. I mean, holy shit, people disobeyed by putting their hand in the fire, God willingly volunteers to take the burn for them, they turn Him down, and STILL blame Him for getting burned. Poor guy can’t win with some people. He, the infinitely just being, is their celestial punching bag of injustice. What a comical view on sin you have.

Flag Post

I believe that only are bodies die. our souls live forever and are reborn. that would explain dejavu and how we adopt our own beliefs.

Flag Post

^no it doesn’t.

Flag Post

how does it not?

Flag Post

deja vu is feeling recognition when seeing or experiencing something for the first time, as if you already had memory of it. a previous life does not explain why you already had memory of a particular event. not unless your reincarnation theory also involves time-travel.

and besides that only few people adopt their own beliefs, i fail to see our adoption of beliefs explained by reincarnation.

Flag Post

everyone has their own beliefs, how can you say they dont? because thats YOUR own belief. you just said the definition of de ja vu that does not truly explain why it happens.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thelexman:

everyone has their own beliefs, how can you say they dont?

By not saying it.

Because he didn’t.

you just said the definition of de ja vu that does not truly explain why it happens.

Well…

Flag Post

everyone has their own beliefs, how can you say they dont? because thats YOUR own belief. you just said the definition of de ja vu that does not truly explain why it happens.

He’s saying that the way you explain reincarnation through deja vu is bullshit, not necessarily the idea of reincarnation itself (although that’s bullshit too)

Flag Post

well, you said “their own beliefs”. most people adopt beliefs of others, like that of the people they have faith in, or simply those beliefs that’s useful for them to believe (pragmatism). few people’s beliefs are original.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zomgsilverore:

We, as humans, have found immortality to be an impossible occurence. Over the years, humanity has attempted- and failed- to ‘ascend’ to immortality. What I wonder is: WHY is immortality impossible? God’s will? Or perhaps something else?
Your thoughts, please.

To put it simply, we aren’t immortal because we are made of atoms. And atoms obey some laws. And one of those laws is the 2nd Law Of Thermodynamics which states that entropy increases. That simply means that disorder increases in a closed system where energy and matter does’t leave or enter the system. By the laws of nature everything is doomed to die. As for our religious friends, no, your God(s) do nothing about it. There is no proof of it, nothing.

Flag Post

Nothing ceases to exist. In a sense we are all immortal. From dust we are made and to dust we shall return. That’s the alchemy of physical science. If you are referring to individual human consciousness, I think that too is highly over rated and finite.

The only way I would want to live forever would be in a new body, in a new world, the like of which has never entered into the imagination of man.

“We come into this world fleshy, and decayable, but we shall be raised up spiritually, and undecayable.” -Paul the Apostle

Flag Post

I would beg to differ that such worlds have ‘never entered the imagination’.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:

Nothing ceases to exist. In a sense we are all immortal. From dust we are made and to dust we shall return. That’s the alchemy of physical science. If you are referring to individual human consciousness, I think that too is highly over rated and finite.

The only way I would want to live forever would be in a new body, in a new world, the like of which has never entered into the imagination of man.

“We come into this world fleshy, and decayable, but we shall be raised up spiritually, and undecayable.” -Paul the Apostle

So, you want God to erase the 2nd law of thermodynamics to make you immortal? I don’t think that God will go down to do some “remodelling” of the laws of nature just so we live eternally. Besides, what would you do for an eternity? Don’t you think it would be extremely dull?

Flag Post

It’s likely they will find out a way in the next generations.

But even if you transfer your conscience to a machine, well, everything rots and breaks with time, so it’s hard to find out how.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cesarcurado:

But even if you transfer your conscience to a machine, well, everything rots and breaks with time, so it’s hard to find out how.

An uploaded mind is stored (in theory) in a software cloud, not in specific hardware. You are limited then by the limitations of the architecture of your uploaded mind, and on the viability of the simulation software upon which your mind runs. If something corrupts that, it corrupts you.

An alternative is to embody in hardware after being uploaded, in a robotic form. But again, you are now subject to loss if your form is damaged or destroyed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by cesarcurado:

An uploaded mind is stored (in theory) in a software cloud, not in specific hardware. You are limited then by the limitations of the architecture of your uploaded mind, and on the viability of the simulation software upon which your mind runs. If something corrupts that, it corrupts you.

An alternative is to embody in hardware after being uploaded, in a robotic form. But again, you are now subject to loss if your form is damaged or destroyed.

Vika, no offence but which drug are you on?

Flag Post

No mind altering substances, punisher. I’m just exploring the possible ways an uploaded mind would survive. It either requires a software support system which can be cloud distributed, or a hardware support system which must be locally present.