Athiests Filing A Lawsuit On The 9/11 Workers To Remove The Steel Cross

87 posts

Flag Post

What do you think about it? I think its wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThetaPrime01400:

Is the steel cross on public land?

Flag Post

I don’t think there is anything wrong about the steel cross. I think it should be able to stay.

Flag Post

Why can’t they just interpret it as a big ‘t’ and move on with their lives?

Flag Post

Yes, thank you for that very informative link… Wait.

Flag Post

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/911-museum-asks-for-dismissal-of-suit-over-cross/

Flag Post

Another link. It has a bit more information.

Mostly the following:

• American Atheists is the group that filed the lawsuit.
  • They filed it last year.
  • They opposed the idea since 2002.
  • The museum is now seeking a dismissal of the lawsuit.

Some of the links I’ve ran into say the museum is a private company. If the land is owned by them, then the lawsuit is pointless.

Flag Post

I suppose every single grave with a cross on it must be ripped out or ‘fixed’ (read:Vandalised) so that none of them have any affiliation with religion….

Flag Post

I don’t think that in that case the cross is a purely religious symbol. In western cultures it is simply a sign of respect to the ones left behind. A memorial sign. I see nothing wrong in that.

Sure, some religious groups might see it as 100% religious and as a sign that Christians are the good guys and Muslims the bad ones, but those people are roughly as stupid as the ones complaining about the cross being there. Those extreme groups are so full of their way of thinking that they can’t see another way, even if that one is much more reasonable.

Too lazy to read the links. Sorry. Is there anything mentioned about the victims’ families? I find these complaints by totally uninvolved people who only want to satisfy their own views on what should be done because they are so awesome and everyone should be like them absolutely despicable. If anyone should have a say in how that place should be designed it is the ones affected the most by it. This place was built for their family members, after all.

Flag Post

I’m an atheist and I say it’s not down to atheists to act on such a thing, it should be down to the relatives and friends who lost loved ones in that awful disaster, ask them first. If they, as a collective decide to replace it with something different then that’s how it should be.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ketsy:

Another link. It has a bit more information.

Mostly the following:

• American Atheists is the group that filed the lawsuit.
  • They filed it last year.
  • They opposed the idea since 2002.
  • The museum is now seeking a dismissal of the lawsuit.

Some of the links I’ve ran into say the museum is a private company. If the land is owned by them, then the lawsuit is pointless.

If this is the case, then American Atheists are wrong and should back down.

Flag Post

Even if it’s a publicly owned monument, it’s stupid as shit.

The reason people want the 10 commandments on the lawn of my local courthouse is different from the reason people want a cross on the grounds of the dead. While there’s probably a better way to tribute the dead while sending certain messages to the rest of the world, the idea that it is intended to be confrontational or is a threat to non-theists is stupid and worse than politically correct Christian watchdog groups.

Flag Post

In this case (for once), the atheist group appears to be in the wrong. It’s a silent, fairly small object that isn’t harming anyone or their quality of life by being there, so there’s little reason to remove it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

In this case (for once), the atheist group appears to be in the wrong. It’s a silent, fairly small object that isn’t harming anyone or their quality of life by being there, so there’s little reason to remove it.

It seems that even atheism is religiously motivated. xD

However, I agree with you on the point that there is no good reason to remove the cross there

The present conflict was derived out of emotion in spite of reason

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

</blockquote
Well, the land belongs to the government so I dont think that the atheists should have a word in this.

Flag Post

You don’t have to believe that Jesus is the son of God to value the symbolism of the cross.
Jesus taught amazing lessons on self sacrifice, forgiveness, and antiestablishmentism.
I don’t understand why so many Atheists don’t like Jesus.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:
I don’t understand why Atheists don’t like Jesus.

Wait, they do?

Flag Post

Atheists focus on petty things like this all the time. It should stay there. They reject that Christianity is a big part of America’s history and still is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chris2Fly:

<

Well, the land belongs to the government so I dont think that the atheists should have a word in this.

If the land belongs to the government then atheist DO have a say in this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Raarasare:

Atheists focus on petty things like this all the time. It should stay there. They reject that Christianity is a big part of America’s history and still is.

Got a source for that?

Flag Post
Originally posted by yiu113:

Got a source for that?

No I don’t have a source for that, you have a source for something that isn’t an opinion or a blatant lie?

Flag Post

Got a source for that?

No I don’t have a source for that, you have a source for something that isn’t an opinion or a blatant lie?

What are you saying that your comment was just an opinion or a blatant lie?

Flag Post

Got a source for that?

Maybe I didn’t say that right. I probably said it completely wrong, even. A better question would be something like what does it matter, many other religions have a big part on America’s history, why does Christianity’s influence have more significance than the others?

Flag Post

Got a source for that?

I was irritated because I get asked for sources on my opinions, no need to get hostile.

Christianity’s influence have more significance than the others in America because the majority of Americans are Christians.

Flag Post

Got a source for that?

I was irritated because I get asked for sources on my opinions, no need to get hostile.

Christianity’s influence have more significance than the others in America because the majority of Americans are Christians.

According to that logic, Asia’s history is more important in the world than anyone else’s because most of the people the world are Asians.

Right?