U.S. Presidential Election page 31 (locked)

1843 posts

Flag Post

Thanks for the link. Watching the debate on live streaming now.

Flag Post
I don’t believe communism can work either. I am simply stating that Obama is in no way a communist. He loves capitalism and the plutocracy.

Nothing says capitalism like taking over the nation’s largest auto maker.

Flag Post

Yup.
Letting GM and all its subsidiaries crash and burn would have been a far better idea.

Nothing says “Right” like willful ignorance.

Anyhoo; debate!

Felt a bit underwhelmed by both performances tonight.
Obama seemed like he was maybe a bit more off-the-cuff, but suffered for it when composing thoughts. Lots of delay, a lot of "uh"s.
Romney seemed more polished, but also more canned.

As to content, I lean left, so I’m more inclined to agree with some of Obama’s points obviously. No big shocker there. :D

Flag Post

So what does everyone think of the debate (now that it’s over). I think they both did well.

Flag Post

Haha.
I guess your “they weren’t bad!” is my “that wasn’t great.”

:)

Flag Post

I really feel bad for the announcer, god damn that was brutal for him.

Flag Post
Letting GM and all its subsidiaries crash and burn would have been a far better idea.

Managed bankrupt FTW

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

So what does everyone think of the debate (now that it’s over). I think they both did well.

1) Finally saw passion out of Romney. Only took, what a year and a half for that to happen?

2) Public Speaking 101: make eye contact. Perhaps the President needs a refresher course. It seemed like the President was trying to not lose rather than win – was awfully defensive. I suppose you can do that when you’re ‘up’ in the polls (I’m still skeptical about his leading being as big as it is). I would imagine he will be feistier the next debate.

3) Lehrer was a really, really, really poor moderator. Both could walk over him whenever they wanted, although only Romney really took advantage of his passiveness.

On a personal note, best line of the night: A friend of mine told me President Obama doesn’t pick winners and losers. He picks losers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:
I don’t believe communism can work either. I am simply stating that Obama is in no way a communist. He loves capitalism and the plutocracy.

Nothing says capitalism like taking over the nation’s largest auto maker.

Or 1/6 th of the economy with Obamacare.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

I must admit, I enjoyed both. But I think Romney was more prepared and Obama kept trying to put words in Romneys mouth. Romney came right back at him with corrections. I thought Obama had a few lines that were pretty good. the one about insurance making money…that’s what they do…was a good one.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

I really feel bad for the announcer, god damn that was brutal for him.

Yeah, he had his hands full. I like the announcer and I watch him almost every night on his news reports.

Flag Post

I’d say Romney did better overall. Even Chris Matthews, one of the quite-left hosts at MSNBC went off on Obama. And I agree with everyone, the moderator got steamrolled.

Flag Post

I also watched the debates and found them telling. The president started with a look of confidence and Mitt Romney seemed nervous. As the debate progressed, the president became nervous and somewhat disconnected. Mitt Romney seemed to gain his composure and went on to win the debate.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/03/cnn-poll-romney-wins-debate-by-big-margin/

Flag Post

Hey I’m back! I will still be ignoring pesky far leftists however.

I have to say Romney beat Obama easily. I don’t see how anyone could vote for Obama after Romney listed Obama’s failures and offered specifics on his economic and tax plan. Obama was way too defensive because he doesn’t have a good record to run on. He also called Obama out on his “$5 trillion dollar tax cut for the rich” lie.

Can’t wait for the Ryan-Biden debate… That should be interesting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darear:

This is why quite a few people dislike you.

In a much more on-topic note, I think that Mitt Romney had come out slightly on top of it, while President Obama seemed far less composed. Both had arguments to counter the other’s often, but Mitt Romney just seemed more composed overall.

Flag Post

It would seem the consensus is that Romney came out on top…the next set of polls will be interesting to see if that translates into more support for him.

Flag Post

according to the NY times Obama had a poor showing in the debate: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/us/politics/after-debate-a-torrent-of-criticism-for-obama.html?ref=global-home

however I strongly urge people to look at http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/04/us/politics/20120804-denver-presidential-debate-obama-romney.html it is the debate with fact checks.

I’m a registered democrat so it’s natural I’m left with the impression that Rommney can’t do math when it comes to his budget fantasies, and has no concern for the environment when it comes to oil or believing that there is “clean” coal. And the economy isn’t recovering that fast, but Obama is doing all in a president’s finite power.
But I want to know what more objective people (or at least those who hold different views) think of the facts.

Flag Post

Thanks Lock for the ‘fact checking’ link.

Flag Post

Personally I think this is similar to the Nixon-Kenedy (I think that’s the one, at least) debate where people on the radio thought that Nixon won, and Kenedy for the people with TV. Only in this case it’s fact-checking and live listening that varry the result, not the device used to listen to the debate.

Flag Post
Originally posted by yiu113:
Originally posted by Darear:

This is why quite a few people dislike you.

A few people dislike me for my views so you really need to stop the hypocrisy here. I do not call people who disagree with me “racists” and “sexists.” Very childish on your part.

I’m a registered democrat so it’s natural I’m left with the impression that Rommney can’t do math when it comes to his budget fantasies, and has no concern for the environment when it comes to oil or believing that there is “clean” coal. And the economy isn’t recovering that fast, but Obama is doing all in a president’s finite power.
But I want to know what more objective people (or at least those who hold different views) think of the facts.

That’s just Baloney or Obamaloney. Romney can’t do math? Seriously? He’s been in business for 25 years. Obama can’t do math. 9% unemployment constant rate and $5 trillion in the national debt. There’s your math. Obama clearly didn’t know what he was talking about. He was flustered on his inexperience on the economy.

Obama also lied about the $5 trillion dollar tax cut Romney supposed wanted for the rich. Even CNN said Obama’s claim was false.

“Obama accused Romney of proposing a $5 trillion tax cut. Not true. Romney proposes to offset his rate cuts and promises he won’t add to the deficit.”
http://factcheck.org/2012/10/dubious-denver-debate-declarations/

Flag Post

“Obama accused Romney of proposing a $5 trillion tax cut. Not true. Romney proposes to offset his rate cuts and promises he won’t add to the deficit.”
http://factcheck.org/2012/10/dubious-denver-debate-declarations/

He promises to, but I don’t think he can deliver.

In the first minutes of the debate, Mr. Romney defended himself against the charge that he would cut taxes for the wealthy and raise taxes on the middle class.

The lack of specificity in his tax plan has opened him to the charge.

Here’s why. Mr. Romney has said he wants to cut marginal tax rates by 20 percent while having the government bring in the same amount of revenue, meaning that he would not widen the deficit further. He would accomplish that goal by clearing out the underbrush of credits, loopholes and preferences in the tax code. He has also promised that his plan will be “distributionally neutral” ­— that he will not raise the tax burden on the poor or middle class.

Here’s the problem. As explained in a detailed paper by the Tax Policy Center, if you cut tax rates by 20 percent, you give the wealthy a multibillion-dollar tax break. Even if you take away all of their credits and loopholes and preferential rates, they still do not owe the government as much as they did before. If the rich are paying less, then the poor and middle class must pay more in order to raise the same amount of money.

Mr. Romney’s campaign argues that the math does work out, in no small part because they expect their tax plan to help bolster growth.

Still, independent economists question whether it is possible. Of course, rather than breaking his promise not to raise taxes on the poor and middle class, Mr. Romney could break one of his other promises. His tax plan could widen the deficit. Or he could lower marginal tax rates less than 20 percent.
ANNIE LOWREY, reporter

Flag Post

You want to put the man who thinks you should be able to open windows on aeroplanes in charge of your country?

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

You want to put the man who thinks you should be able to open windows on aeroplanes in charge of your country?

Well, he’s quite welcome to fly on a special plane with openable windows. Just for him. We’ll control it’s autopilot from the ground and everything. That way when he opens the window, he’s the only one blown out into the upper atmosphere.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

well according to this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/mitt-romney/9564529/Mitt-Romney-why-dont-aeroplane-windows-open.html he was joking. and it IS funny, but sadly not if you know he was joking.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/09/mitt-romney-joke-joking-airplane-windows.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/mitt-romney-airplane-windows_n_1910930.html
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/romney-commits-gaffe-wants-to-know-why-airplane-windows-dont-open-its-a-real-problem/
http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/windows.asp

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator