U.S. Presidential Election page 73 (locked)

1843 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:
Originally posted by MyTie:

The difference is that I don’t think lieing is what a politician should do. You do, as you said yesterday “I, vika, believe that politicians should be able to lie to further their agenda, as long as I agree with their agenda”. I don’t find that to be a responsible position to have, vika. I’d suggest you reevaluate how much honesty you expect from government, and how we can trust them. You might find yourself more enlightened if you didn’t excuse such actions from YOUR leaders.

Someone care to give a direct quote to her post, my memory’s a little shoddy when it comes to stuff like this.

She made a mistake, she admitted to it. It’s in the past, and so we can move on. She’s learned her lesson.

Flag Post

ha ha, a funny reversal from earlier. But Republicans are still wrong.

Flag Post

The difference is that I don’t think lieing is what a politician should do. You do, as you said yesterday “I, vika, believe that politicians should be able to lie to further their agenda, as long as I agree with their agenda”. I don’t find that to be a responsible position to have, vika. I’d suggest you reevaluate how much honesty you expect from government, and how we can trust them. You might find yourself more enlightened if you didn’t excuse such actions from YOUR leaders.

Someone care to give a direct quote to her post, my memory’s a little shoddy when it comes to stuff like this.

She made a mistake, she admitted to it. It’s in the past, and so we can move on. She’s learned her lesson.

Link? I’m curious what mistake she made, exactly. In context.
Honestly, I just want to see the actual conversation as it unfolded. You brought it up, so please be kind enough to point me to the actual exchange, so I know why you brought it up.

Flag Post

You didn’t answer my question…

Okay, it technically wasn’t a question, but you get my point.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jmj1011995:ha ha, a funny reversal from earlier.

I thought so. I doubt the parties involved will catch on, though.

Originally posted by jmj1011995:But Republicans are still wrong.
I’d love to hear this explained. I’d especially love to hear you compare and contrast Republicans and Bolsheviks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by softest_voice:Link? I’m curious what mistake she made, exactly. In context.
Honestly, I just want to see the actual conversation as it unfolded. You brought it up, so please be kind enough to point me to the actual exchange, so I know why you brought it up.

You didn’t answer my question…

Okay, it technically wasn’t a question, but you get my point.

Do you guys really not see what I did there? Read “User List” thread, and this morning’s worth of this thread. That’ll clue you in. jmj1011995 got it.

Edit: Actually, jmj1011995, would you mind explaining it to them for me. I’ve already explained it numerous times.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Do you guys really not see what I did there? Read “User List” thread, and this morning’s worth of this thread. That’ll clue you in. jmj1011995 got it.

If you can’t or wont make a direct quote then you could just say so.

Flag Post

If you can’t or wont make a direct quote then you could just say so.

So.

Originally posted by jmj1011995:

Republicans-a bunch of lying politicians trying to force their way into power to enforce awful economic policies that will only benefit them.
Bolsheviks-a bunch of lying politicians trying to force their way into power to enforce awful economic policies that will only benefit them.

I was hoping you were going to cite specific economic policies that both groups had in common, not apply a statement to both that could be applied to any two groups of politicians whom policies you were biased against.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

That’s pretty much every politician on the planet, MyTie.

Could you link me to that conversation as well, please MyTie? Its not that I don’t believe you, its just that that is so far out there from my position, its a little baffling to see it. It’s also not my normal style of writing. I’m presuming I must have been drunk at the time – which is why the full conversation would help.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:Could you link me to that conversation as well, please MyTie? Its not that I don’t believe you, its just that that is so far out there from my position, its a little baffling to see it. It’s also not my normal style of writing. I’m presuming I must have been drunk at the time – which is why the full conversation would help.

It’s in the past, vika. You’ve admitted you were wrong, and you’ve obviously improved since you said that. I forgive you, and so I’m willing to let it go, and we can move on.

Flag Post

Fair enough. If you could dig out the link at some point I would appreciate it. It really is a large departure from my writing style, which is the bit that concerns me. There’s always the chance of a forum user with a similar name.

My usual stance with politicians, is I don’t really care what they do, so long as it does not impede me or my work. Only if politics comes to me, will I get involved. Otherwise, I just see it as a complete waste of my time, because it does not advance anything nor improve anything in a tangible sense.

Flag Post

It’s in the past, vika. You’ve admitted you were wrong, and you’ve obviously improved since you said that. I forgive you, and so I’m willing to let it go, and we can move on.

Dodging increased to 100.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Fair enough. If you could dig out the link at some point I would appreciate it. It really is a large departure from my writing style, which is the bit that concerns me. There’s always the chance of a forum user with a similar name.

My usual stance with politicians, is I don’t really care what they do, so long as it does not impede me or my work. Only if politics comes to me, will I get involved. Otherwise, I just see it as a complete waste of my time, because it does not advance anything nor improve anything in a tangible sense.

You know, I’m beginning to think that you are being genuine. Now I feel kind of bad. Sorry, vika. I think this morning has given me a bit more perspective about you. I’m going to approach you much differently on the forums from now on. I mean that. I don’t think I really understood you, as well as I do now.

It was ironic satire, tenco. If you had context, you’d understand. I told you were to go and read to get context…

Flag Post
It was ironic satire, tenco.

And you acted like an ass the entire time…

If you had context, you’d understand. I told you were to go and read to get context…

And it was from the “User’s list” thread, correct?

Yeah I didn’t get any, so how about you do the unthinkable and be straightforward?

Flag Post
It was ironic satire, tenco.

And you acted like an ass the entire time…

If you had context, you’d understand. I told you were to go and read to get context…

And it was from the “User’s list” thread, correct?

Yeah I didn’t get any, so how about you do the unthinkable and be straightforward?

Ok. I’ll give it a run, since you asked nice. This morning vika lectured me about reading news sources before I link them here, and told me how I once used The Onion as a news source. That never happened. I insisted to her that it never happened. She then went on to thank me for admitting my mistake. I, again, explained that I never used the Onion as a news source, and that I always read articles I link. Then, she went on to say that I had learned my lesson and she was willing to leave it in the past.

Well, I was bothered by it, and called her a name. Then, to illustrate my frustration, I did the same back to her. I made up something that she OBVIOUSLY didn’t say, a bit of tongue in cheek, and went on to forgive her for the imagined mistake. I thought it was at least, mildly funny.

The problem is, that two things came out of my satire that I didn’t expect. YOU and a few others demanded that I back up my accusations with sources. No one demanded that from vika. That just goes to show you how biased you guys are. The second problem is that vika simply didn’t understand my obvious satire. It makes me think that her earlier insistance on my mistake was, well, genuine and unintentional. I have no idea why she can’t understand me when I said “I DIDN’T SAY THAT”. But, the more I’ve been interacting with her today, the more I’ve got the feeling she has no idea what’s going on. That second problem is making me feel kind of bad. I’m not sure how old she is, or if English isn’t her first language, or she’s perhaps drunk…. but there is something impeding my ability to communicate simple ideas with her.

Flag Post

To solve this situation you either have to quote the original thread in which MyTie supposedly gave a link to or merely mentioned ‘The Onion’ or you all have to just forget about it. I am all for the moving on and forgetting about it so it does not cloud your judgement of the other. It does not matter if someone cited an unreliable source in a different thread or conversation if we are currently concerning ourselves with this conversation.

P.S. MyTie you’re right i really should but citing specific economic policies when comparing the Republicans with the Bolsheviks but to be frankly honest i usually stick to Off Topic so can’t really be bothered to. Also i acknowledge that the Republicans and Bolsheviks aren’t really much alike, just that from my viewpoint i don’t think the economic policies of either were that great.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jmj1011995: Also i acknowledge that the Republicans and Bolsheviks aren’t really much alike, just that from my viewpoint i don’t think the economic policies of either were that great.

I was a bit perplexed at your initial comparison of the two.

Flag Post

The problem is, that two things came out of my satire that I didn’t expect. YOU and a few others demanded that I back up my accusations with sources. No one demanded that from vika.

They’re used to the fact that if they demand them, they get them. Usually in ‘walls of text’ as Tenco puts it. I have an unfortunate tendency to lecture at times, and a 5,000 word post is not exactly unusual for me. I’ll give links, try to explain my reasoning from said link, and oft-times type more than the link says in order to try and make my explanation as accessible as possible.

I perhaps should have been a teacher – if the money wasn’t crap, and teaching full time as opposed to pushing the bleeding edge was actually fun.

The second problem is that vika simply didn’t understand my obvious satire.

I understood it, but I refused to get drawn into it. You wish to bring that up, then I’ll treat it like any normal serious discussion – I will ask for sources, and try to see where that argument could have come from. A couple of years ago, we had a user called ‘VikaTea’ with a low-resolution copy of my avatar for about half a day before it got permabanned. It was of course, a Vanguarde alt, trying to ape my arguments, and stirr up trouble. The first thought that crossed my mind was that we had another of those loose somewhere on the forum.

It makes me think that her earlier insistance on my mistake was, well, genuine and unintentional.

If I make an argument, its normally genuine, yea. the exceptions are the arguments that start “with your logic” or “with that logic” or something similar, as I’m extending the logic of another poster to show the inconsistencies. I don’t tend to play devil’s advocate with my posts unless I see a genuine problem.

You admitted you linked to the Onion article, so I took that as evidence that you had used it as a source (which let’s be honest, you did), and had learnt not to do that any more. If it makes you any happier, I apologise for any misunderstanding that arose. That’s why I said to put it behind us, as I saw it as an example of personal growth on your part.

But, the more I’ve been interacting with her today, the more I’ve got the feeling she has no idea what’s going on.

Much more aware than you might think, but I refuse to let it rile me. I would prefer to continue making serious posts, and challenging arguments. You present an argument, I’ll challenge it if I feel there is something to be challenged. Whether your original argument was serious or not, doesn’t matter. Sometimes I get something I can use out of anyway. That’s why I’m here in SD after all, looking for perspectives I can gain from.

That second problem is making me feel kind of bad. I’m not sure how old she is, or if English isn’t her first language, or she’s perhaps drunk….

34 years young.

English is my second language. Queen’s English is technically my third, but its the one I use most of the time offline, so I often make mistakes translating between American English and Queen’s English. Scots is my native tongue.

but there is something impeding my ability to communicate simple ideas with her.

Yes, we have radically different perspectives on the world. I have a heavily analytical mind as well, which doesn’t always help. I tend to search people’s word choices looking for possible meanings and going with the most likely one. As we discussed earlier, when forming an idea, I start with the most general case and narrow it down to specifics and exceptions. You start with a specific case, usually emotional, and expand from there.

I have struggled more than once to see the full picture you are trying to imply. Purely beause to me the picture is radically different than the image I’m getting. I cannot apologise for that, because it is simply how my mind works.

Flag Post

I can’t think of a single SD poster who better combines tedious pedantry with misplaced condescension better than you, my tie.

Here’s what I gleaned from the User List thread:

Originally posted by Mytie:
I have a very poor memory when it comes to who said what in old forum debates. It’s one of the reasons I don’t hold grudges often.

As for the…whatever,

I have no idea why she can’t understand me when I said “I DIDN’T SAY THAT”. But, the more I’ve been interacting with her today, the more I’ve got the feeling she has no idea what’s going on. That second problem is making me feel kind of bad. I’m not sure how old she is, or if English isn’t her first language, or she’s perhaps drunk…. but there is something impeding my ability to communicate simple ideas with her.

Or it could be she just misread that one post (which she did), or perhaps, she just doesn’t bother reading your posts all the way through as a general rule, considering how often they’re full of self-pitying whining, attacks on those infamous ‘libs’, and other defensive gibberish, little of which has any value in a discussion forum. I know I certainly skim.

Flag Post

The problem is, that two things came out of my satire that I didn’t expect. YOU and a few others demanded that I back up my accusations with sources. No one demanded that from vika. That just goes to show you how biased you guys are.

No it shows more that the things are not comparable. Its pretty easy to see that you where lying out of your ass when attributing the quote you were making to vika. The average person here would not be able to make such a judgment call when it comes to your use or not use of the Onion as a source.
Personally if i remember correctly there was a discussion in which you where involved that was about the question if the Onion was a news source or not. But i can not remember the details.
Adding to that difference the other thread in question was a troll thread(meaning less readers) only getting 245 views until it was closed and many of the responses it had where OT and/or deleted.

If you can´t see the difference its you who is biased.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:You admitted you linked to the Onion article, so I took that as evidence that you had used it as a source (which let’s be honest, you did), and had learnt not to do that any more.

vika, this never happened. I’ve never linked anything from The Onion. Never. Ever. Not once. Flabby, whom doesn’t like my at all, can attest to that. He was the other half of the conversation. I simply wasn’t sure what kind of publication The Onion was, as in newspaper, or blog, or what. That’s it. I mean, I don’t know how to be any plainer with you on this topic. I can’t be any clearer. If you don’t understand that, then this isn’t going to go anywhere. I’m sorry for being a jerk to you earlier, but at the time I thought you were intentionally perpetuating a lie. Now I’ve come to believe that you believe what you are saying, so I just don’t know what else to say.

Flag Post

LOL
Yeah, that one certainly “pegged” the ol’ Crock-0-Crap meter.
The fun part is that:
He just doesn’t “get it” that when he does things like that,,,
it casts a loooooong shadow of doubt on the many other things he sez.
I guess the tale—Little boy who cried wolf—went right over his head….eh?
I’m not sure how old she is, or if English isn’t her first language, or she’s perhaps drunk…. but there is something impeding my ability to communicate simple ideas with her.

Freudian slip?

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:Yeah, that one certainly “pegged” the ol’ Crock-0-Crap meter.
The fun part is that:
He just doesn’t “get it” that when he does things like that,,, [sic]
it casts a loooooong [sic] shadow of doubt on the many other things he sez [sic].
I guess the tale—Little [sic] boy who cried wolf—went right over his head….eh? [sic]

Didn’t you say once that you used to dress up as a doctor and sneak into hospitals so you could give massages to pregnant women’s perineum? Forgive me if I don’t put a lot of stock in your judgment of character.

Originally posted by karmakoolkid:Fuedian [sic] slip?

Nope. I’m trying to communicate with her. Something is hindering that from effectively happening. What about that is a Freudian slip?

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:Yeah, that one certainly “pegged” the ol’ Crock-0-Crap meter.
The fun part is that:
He just doesn’t “get it” that when he does things like that,,, [sic]
it casts a loooooong [sic] shadow of doubt on the many other things he sez [sic].
I guess the tale—Little [sic] boy who cried wolf—went right over his head….eh? [sic]

Didn’t you say once that you used to dress up as a doctor and sneak into hospitals so you could give massages to pregnant women’s perineum? Forgive me if I don’t put a lot of stock in your judgment of character.

OH…ouch,
he [sic-ed] the “word police” on me…..lol
AND, he dug waaaaaaay back into the past where I made (I think, I’m NOT sure….but, it sure sounds like something I would say IN JEST) some comment and is NOW making it look like something SERIOUS.

HEYHEY
Sound familiar?
Isn’t this what the last two pages has been about?
LOL

Seriously, man….are YOU that unable to “see” how so very “childlike” some (much?) of your behavior here is?

Originally posted by karmakoolkid:Fruedian [sic] slip?

Nope. I’m trying to communicate with her. Something is hindering that from effectively happening. What about that is a Freudian slip?

AGAIN:
" but there is something impeding my ability to communicate simple ideas with her."
As in:….nothing impeding HER ABILITY,,,
JUST YOURS.
LOL