U.S. Presidential Election page 29 (locked)

1843 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Redem:

The Obama phone thing is a lie, as you should be well aware by now, jhco.

There is a real program that gives phones to low income people, and it has been abused/reformed in the past. However, I think it started before Obama. I don’t know if that makes it a lie or not.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:
Originally posted by Redem:

The Obama phone thing is a lie, as you should be well aware by now, jhco.

There is a real program that gives phones to low income people, and it has been abused/reformed in the past. However, I think it started before Obama. I don’t know if that makes it a lie or not.

You’re right about that, there is a low income phone program, but it started before Obama, more like during the Reagan administration. This is not the first time this link has been presented, and it probably won’t be the last. For some reason jhco refuses to acknowledge it, however, so it is good that it gets brought up repeatedly so other people reading the forums don’t get misinformed about the “free phone”.

Flag Post

It started in 1984. Covered this earlier in the thread. It’s not paid for by the taxpayer, but by a charitable organisation in conjunction with the phone companies. The phones themselves are bare-functionality dumb-phones, that were obviously the cheapest bulk-order the organisation could get.

They used to use landlines, but cell phones have lower installation and operational costs. The point is to give low-income households access to emergency services, the ability to phone up and book job interviews, hairdressing, basic contact with friends. They are given a set number of minutes per month to use.

Flag Post

I think Romney will win.

He hates 47% of Americans, which means he likes 53%.

This is more than half, so he will get the most votes.

This means he will win.

Also the fame of having Andrew Ryan as his VP will get even more votes.

Flag Post

Hmm. Romney will win. You’ll see.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

It started in 1984. Covered this earlier in the thread. It’s not paid for by the taxpayer, but by a charitable organisation in conjunction with the phone companies. The phones themselves are bare-functionality dumb-phones, that were obviously the cheapest bulk-order the organisation could get.

They used to use landlines, but cell phones have lower installation and operational costs. The point is to give low-income households access to emergency services, the ability to phone up and book job interviews, hairdressing, basic contact with friends. They are given a set number of minutes per month to use.

Well, the general person in the United States kind of pays for the program. A lot of telephone companies just add a Universal Service Fund fee (fund that funds the free phone program) to consumers’ phone bills. Not like it really matters if phone companies explicitly charge you for this program – it’s just a cost they have to pay no matter how they market it.

On a humorous note, this is great.

Flag Post

Can Republicans here please tell me which states and electoral votes Romney will win in order to become the President?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

Can Republicans here please tell me which states and electoral votes Romney will win in order to become the President?

one version
another
yet another

HOWEVER, since ya specifically asked the Republicans here….maybe I’m out of line in giving those links. If so,,,,my bad.

Flag Post

No one really knows JaumeBG. As much as media and politicians try to predetermine the outcome of the election, they really can’t. Only the people can decide and the outcome won’t be knowN for sure until after they vote. When we on this forum make predictions, it is from analyzing the mood of the people in general, but it is just a prediction.

The mood is dark among the working people and business. The economy is not improving, businesses hold their money because they can’t sell their products, causing the lack of hiring. People are broke and losing everything they have worked for, so they can’t afford to buy the products businesses offer. Until this turns around, the economy will stay the same.

I have predicted Romney will win. The reason is because Obama’s policies have not worked. If they were going to work they would have shown progress in his first two years and they haven’t.

Flag Post

You can repeat your preconceived notion of Obama’s bad policies however you want, but America in its majority currently disagrees with you. The Republicans won’t win if they can’t win Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Virginia. And they won’t. You can say whatever you like but Obama will win. He is polling better than Romney vastly, also in swing states.

inb4pollconspiracy

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

I have predicted Romney will win. The reason is because Obama’s policies have not worked. If they were going to work they would have shown progress in his first two years and they haven’t.

You mean the first two years when he stabilised the rapid downward plunge the economy was taking and passed emergency measures to reverse the logarithmic curve of job losses? Those two years?

Flag Post

You can repeat your preconceived notion of Obama’s bad policies however you want, but America in its majority currently disagrees with you. The Republicans won’t win if they can’t win Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Virginia. And they won’t. You can say whatever you like but Obama will win. He is polling better than Romney vastly, also in swing states.

inb4pollconspiracy

Well, yeah….my dad and I were talking tonight. He’s voting Romney, but made a prediction that Obama will win. He thought that the public’s snap judgement (this is what a lot of people respond to) on his likeable personality (because his personality is likeable) would tip the scale in his favor. I guess we will see in a few months.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

You mean the first two years when he stabilised the rapid downward plunge the economy was taking and passed emergency measures to reverse the logarithmic curve of job losses? Those two years?

The reason the economy quit spiraling down is because it has pretty much hit bottom. Only the bankers and wall street are buying and selling. Business is in a slump and people don’t have any money. Do you really think that is a good thing for the economy?

Flag Post

Hah, what? His favourability ratings are the worst this entire millennium. He also has the worst favourability rating since 1988 and is seen worse than Michael Dukakis was. Romney does not have a likeable personality according to the majority of Americans.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Flag Post
The Republicans won’t win if they can’t win Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Virginia.

You’re saying the Republicans won’t win the election if they don’t win the three largest swing states and VA, a hearty 13 EC votes. Deep stuff you’re pushing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:
The Republicans won’t win if they can’t win Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Virginia.

You’re saying the Republicans won’t win the election if they don’t win the three largest swing states and VA, a hearty 13 EC votes. Deep stuff you’re pushing.

I said the exact opposite. I said that if they can win those four states, they will win.

Flag Post

I said the exact opposite. I said that if they can win those four states, they will win.

Yes, sweeping the three largest and another pretty big swing state would likely lead to a GOP victory, although I have a very hard time picturing a scenario in which Romney can win PA, but I’d love to be wrong.

Flag Post

Yes, sweeping the three largest and another pretty big swing state would likely lead to a GOP victory, although I have a very hard time picturing a scenario in which Romney can win PA, but I’d love to be wrong.

Some polls have it pretty close. But I don’t really see it happening either.

Flag Post

Yeah—there’s virtually no possible way Pennsylvania will vote for Romney. 21 polls in the state have recorded Romney always losing and always below 45%.

Flag Post

Interestingly, a current national Rasmussen poll showed that: “Currently, 43% of voters are “certain” they will vote for Romney. Forty-two percent (42%) are that certain they will vote for Obama. The remaining 15% are either uncommitted or open to changing their mind.”

I still think poll watching is a rather fruitless activity though.

Flag Post

Karma, we all know how you despise corporations. So I have watched a program on PBS (a liberal one at that) that investigated and organization called ALEC. I will leave it there for you to research, but it will make your blood boil and give you lots of fodder for future arguments on that subject. You can thank me later. :)

Flag Post

Karma, we all know how you despise corporations. So I have watched a program on PBS ( a liberal one at that) that investigated and organization called ALEC. I will leave it there for you to research, but it will make your blood boil and give you lots of fodder for future arguments on that subject. You can thank me later. :)

What is it w/ this guy? Can he NOT drop the hyperbole?

AND, what is it w/ his taking “circle A” (corporations) and saying that I don’t have any “circle B,C,D,etc.” corporations….and that there is very likely some “over-lapping” of them? What a “one-trick-pony” way of looking at life.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

How about you cut the crap and just accept my gift. ALEC is a conglomeration of corporations and organizations that are making laws at the state level. Research it. I handed you this information that is not, it seems, common knowledge.

http://www.alec.org/

First: I thought YOU no longer read MY posts.
Second: Ya may have “read” it,,,,,but, ya really didn’t understand it.

Flag Post

Maybe so Karma. It was short so I read it. I expected you to have already looked it up. It is a bit spooky to think corporate America is wielding this kind of power. I think the show was Moyer or something like that.