If you find a wallet on the street...

79 posts

Flag Post

…but it comes with a driver’s license, honestly, would you take the $800 in there or not?

Flag Post

….. I tried to post this on Off-Topic, but somehow it ended up here… I guess this can work…

Flag Post

No. I’d bring it to the police and let everything take its normal path, which means that I can probably expect a reward for finding it too. Money and no guilty conscience.

Flag Post

I would make sure the owner knows he/she got it from an anonymous pedestrian.

Flag Post

Who in their right mind keeps $800 in bills in their wallet? Even builders, with a roll of notes stufffed in their back pocket, don’t carry a float that big.

I would definitely not take the money. I derive far more satisfaction from handing the wallet back and severely chiding them on being so moronic.

Flag Post

If only everyone would follow this example… Except the going into debt because of drugs part.

Flag Post

I’d take the cash, and leave the rest right where it is.

Flag Post

I’d hide in a bush and beat up the guy who takes the cash and leaves the rest right where it is.

No, seriously.

Or I’d think of filthy vultures like the above and return it so I won’t have to live in fear of being caught, being judged, being beaten up by men hiding in bushes who don’t like you taking cash from wallets, and basically allowing luck of the draw to lower one’s chance of survival while increasing another’s.

Flag Post

I’d like to say that I would take it and return it, but I’d more likely find it, take the money, return it, and lie about the amount of money that was in it.

Flag Post

I’ve never lost money, nor do I plan to.

If someone else is careless, why should they get the delusion that the world is a warm fuzzy place full of nice people?

Flag Post

i’d rob a bank of it’s tagged money, and leave that in the street. someone walks off with it, good luck trying to prove you found it.

Flag Post

Its never yours if you can’t keep it. I’ll take all and mail back the license if the address is indicated. Hi vika.

Flag Post

If someone else is careless, why should they get the delusion that the world is a warm fuzzy place full of nice people?

Because it could be, if only you believed! cue harp

But, honestly, the world may be out of your hands, singular instances are not. If you take someones money, it is not ‘the world’ taking his money, it is singularly you.

Personally, I have pity for the forgetful and merely unluckly. There are enough gruesome, miserable people out there that I’m a long way off from feeling I have to stick it to people who have the gall to forget where they leave things. Also, I am certainly one of those people.

Flag Post

I have never lost money, or had it stolen from me. You made mistakes in your life, and so did I. I believe, though, that only I am capable of admitting that.

You apply a random “punishment factor” to a random, possibly non-active, decision of a random person. But the worst is that you pretend this is a type of “learning” for people. You merely want to be the egoistical asshole you’ve always been, and you then try to pretend this is all in the greater good.

While, yes, there are problems with you being that kind of a dick, it is more of a problem that you believe it has anything to do with other people.

Flag Post

When I find things in stores, I just normally take the items to customer service. If I found a wallet on the street, I’d most likely check to see if they had contact info / look them up somewhere and give them a call.

Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

Most people are decent people. Also, it’s completley illegal to keep that money you found anyway.

Flag Post

There were times in my life where i would have kept all or at least a major part of the money. There were times where i would have investigated a bit to find-out how needy the person who lost the money seemed compared to myself before deciding or used at a very short term loan. And there are times like now where i don´t quite seem to need the extra bit money.
I would at all times where i knew what money and drivers license where, have made the effort to send the parts i did not need back to the rightful owner.

Flag Post

It is a punishment; and with any luck it will teach them.

Things like “Don’t lose your wallet.” should be relatively basic. And, really, it should be pretty difficult to do. They are learning: Learning that they shouldn’t lose their wallet.

As far as whether it’s legal or not, that’s not important. Unless it’s a setup, your chances of being caught are very slim. Unless you’ve got silly moral baggage, the pros (the money) outweigh the cons (the very slight chance that it’s a trap).

Flag Post

Use information on the license to determine whether the person needs £509, and go from there.

Would almost certainly end up giving it in to the police, but you never know.

Flag Post

If the license is inside and the place isn’t too far off, I’d probably find them and return it myself, including the money. If they’re far off, I’d either mail it or hand it over to the police.

If I find money on the ground without having any way of being able to figure out who it is, I’d probably keep it because I would assume it wouldn’t go back to the right person anyway. If I can tell who it belongs to, then I wouldn’t keep the money.

Flag Post

I’d keep the cash, then mail the wallet, license, and any credit/debit cards to the address on the license with no/a fake return address

Flag Post

I act in ways that I would like the rest of the world to act, I would return the money without hesitation. I have returned money I’ve found to their owner, and have had money returned to me. The opportunity to prevent someone’s misfortune is one I would hope anyone would like to take advantage of. Actually, my biggest concern in that situation is that I return it the the actual owner, and if I couldn’t legitimately determine that I’d keep it. The premise includes a license though, so it’d be rather easy to solve the case there.

I genuinely probably wouldn’t accept a large tip either, even if I’d offer one. I get that they wouldn’t have the money without me, but I still don’t think that entitles me to it. I returned it so they wouldn’t lack it anymore. I could only really accept it if I thought the person couldn’t use the money themselves, that they would probably have not missed it otherwise and are simply rewarding basic decency. In the case of a poorer person offering a reward, they just feel guilty they lost it and I wouldn’t want to encourage that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBSG:

I act in ways that I would like the rest of the world to act, I would return the money without hesitation. I have returned money I’ve found to their owner, and have had money returned to me. The opportunity to prevent someone’s misfortune is one I would hope anyone would like to take advantage of. Actually, my biggest concern in that situation is that I return it the the actual owner, and if I couldn’t legitimately determine that I’d keep it. The premise includes a license though, so it’d be rather easy to solve the case there.

I genuinely probably wouldn’t accept a large tip either, even if I’d offer one. I get that they wouldn’t have the money without me, but I still don’t think that entitles me to it. I returned it so they wouldn’t lack it anymore. I could only really accept it if I thought the person couldn’t use the money themselves, that they would probably have not missed it otherwise and are simply rewarding basic decency. In the case of a poorer person offering a reward, they just feel guilty they lost it and I wouldn’t want to encourage that.

I agree entirely. I would like to consider myself one of the declining majority who still desires to make the world a better place by treating other people the way I would like to be treated.

Flag Post

Also, I grew up in the ghetto, and you might think that’d make me want to keep it, but I am not getting shot over 800 bucks because I stole a drop, and no one else with any sense would either. If I was in the right (or I suppose, “wrong” in this case.) neighborhood I’d leave the wallet where it lays.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBSG:

Also, I grew up in the ghetto, and you might think that’d make me want to keep it, but I am not getting shot over 800 bucks because I stole a drop, and no one else with any sense would either. If I was in the right (or I suppose, “wrong” in this case.) neighborhood I’d leave the wallet where it lays.

There’s a big difference between finding money, and finding money with with an I.D.
I’ve found both.

I.D. Return of course.
No I.D. Pennies from heaven :-)

Flag Post

I find the owner’s address and mail him his wallet.