If you find a wallet on the street... page 3

79 posts

Flag Post

I look at the identity card’s picture.

I shout: “Whose is this wallet?”

If nobody responds, I let it on the ground.

If someone responds, but the face on the identity card is different from his/her, I threaten him/her that I’ll call the police.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnDoe2:

I look at the identity card’s picture.

I shout: “Whose is this wallet?”

If nobody responds, I let it on the ground.

If someone responds, but the face on the identity card is different from his/her, I threaten him/her that I’ll call the police.

LEAVE IT ON THE GROUND?
What’s “wrong” w/ calling the police and giving it to them?
Or simply dropping it off at the station.
OR, if ya trust the facility ya may have found it in,,,,just turn it into them. Usually they hold it for a time so the person who lost it can retrace their steps and ask them if they have it. After that, it is then turned into the police.

Flag Post

If there was no danger of trouble, take the money, leave the wallet and card for someone else. If there there was anyone around, pull out the card, check if the person was nearby first, then walk off with full intention to bring it to the police that would desert me as soon as nobody is looking. Probably just chuck it over to the guy/gal if I see them near it after checking the card, because I don’t relish an arrest.

Flag Post

Wow,,, that’s “cold”…..lol
But then,,, ya’re “Scotch”.

Flag Post

Return it to owner at any cost.

Flag Post

One of them could be a corrupted cop.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnDoe2:

One of them could be a corrupted cop.

A bit difficult to ‘just make it disappear’ once they have a paper trail, John.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

I feel for the guy. Just happens I feel for myself a fair bit too, and what I’d hope to be feeling is a wad of cash. And I’m guessing you’re mentioning that I’m Scottish, and not an alchoholic beverage? I doubt my nationality has anything to do with it, if so, just how I think.

Flag Post

I’d return the wallet.

Flag Post

I’d bring it to police.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ponkiny:

I feel for the guy. Just happens I feel for myself a fair bit too, and what I’d hope to be feeling is a wad of cash. And I’m guessing you’re mentioning that I’m Scottish, and not an alchoholic beverage? I doubt my nationality has anything to do with it, if so, just how I think.

LOL….so ya’re quite SELFISHLY comfortable w/ taking advantage of the misfortune of another person? I wonder how ya feel when the opposite is true? Howzzabout ya don’t just lose something, rather ya just aren’t doing a good job of “watching it”? Don’t ya think there are ppl that “feel” for ya because of your “unfortunate lapse”…..but, just happen to feel for them selves a fair bit more?

Adj. 1. Scotch – of or relating to or characteristic of Scotland or its people or culture or its English dialect or Gaelic language; “Scots Gaelic”; “the Scots community in New York”; “`Scottish’ tends to be the more formal term as in `The Scottish Symphony’ or `Scottish authors’ or `Scottish mountains’”; “`Scotch’ is in disfavor with Scottish people and is used primarily outside Scotland except in such frozen phrases as `Scotch broth’ or `Scotch whiskey’ or `Scotch plaid’”
Scots, Scottish
2. scotch – avoiding waste; “an economical meal”; “an economical shopper”; “a frugal farmer”; “a frugal lunch”; “a sparing father and a spending son”; “sparing in their use of heat and light”; “stinting in bestowing gifts”; “thrifty because they remember the great Depression”; “`scotch’ is used only informally”
frugal, sparing, stinting, economical
colloquialism – a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
thrifty – careful and diligent in the use of resources

Where I came//come from, we called ppl who were stingy, self-serving, “thrifty” (to the point of keeping found money in a wallet) being “Scotch”.

Why didn’t ya address my rebut to your “corrupt cop” crap?
THAT is one helluva a lame cop out. (LOL….I made a pun).

Flag Post

Um Karma, could you please not try and tar all of Scottish ancestry (or Scottish blood) with the same brush? Yes the “mun-ney” attitude is prevalent, but we’re not all like that. Perhaps in part because I’m one of the evil people that actually has enough money to see the true value of the stuff, but my attitude is very, very different to Ponkiny’s.

Flag Post

Karma, I just love the idea of English lessons from somebody who can barely speak the language.

Scotch whisky (without an e), scotch eggs, but Scottish people.

Whisky without the e is scotch. Whiskey with the e is Irish. I’m sure you could find an exception, but that is the convention. All other types of whisky are spelt h-o-o-c-h.

And getting back on topic, I would take it to the local cop shop. Somebody might need that money a lot more than I do.

Flag Post

I’d take the wallet with me and google their address to see whether they really need that money or not. If they seem wealthy enough, I keep the cash and mail back everything else.

Flag Post

i couldnt live on with the guilt of taking $800
i would attempt to use the I.D. to see where this person lives and put it on their front door
i doubt policemen can always be trusted so i wouldnt go to them for help.

If their house looks like someone was murdered in it than i would just stick it in his mailbox
even though its illegal i doubt i would get caught or anyone would care.

Flag Post

I’d take it and if someone asks me about it, as if it was a set up I’d tell them that I was planning on searching for them online and then returning it.
If no one says anything I’d take anything I like, and maybe, and I stress maybe contact the guy who owns the wallet to give him back his license and all that.

He’d be sad he lost $800, but he’d be happy he got something back.
It’s a pain getting a new license and all of those things he might of had in there.

Flag Post

I hope YOU are merely being some kind of weirdly sarcastic here.
To imply that I am bigoted in this area greatly flys in the face of everything I represent on this forum.
It is obvious that ya greatly missed the intent of my post.
OR, maybe it is YOU who are being a tad “oversensitive” to something not even intended for YOU. AND, probably not even “intended” in the manner ya think.

Originally posted by vikaTae:

Um Karma, could you please not try and tar all of Scottish ancestry (or Scottish blood) with the same brush? Yes the “mun-ney” attitude is prevalent, but we’re not all like that. Perhaps in part because I’m one of the evil people that actually has enough money to see the true value of the stuff, but my attitude is very, very different to Ponkiny’s.

I made no effort to “tar w/ the same brush” ANYONE.

I merely used a part of this to explain why I

“jokingly” said the behavior of a particular poster—who would espouse such low morals as to simply keep//“steal” the money—AND the fact that their profile lists Scotland as their “location”….both of these aspects being tantamount to the tongue-in-cheek reference about the “thriftiness” of the Scotish….a “thriftiness” that I stretched to the point of purloining in the childish manner of: Finders ~ keepers,,,losers ~ weepers.

I’m very happy to hear that YOU & Ponkiny differ in attitudes.
I hope ya also understand I believe that such is an intrinsic nature….of all nations//ppl.
AND, therefore would NOT “paint” all to have the same attitudes.
Good grief. Must I reinvent the wheel here?

Flag Post
LOL….so ya’re quite SELFISHLY comfortable w/ taking advantage of the misfortune of another person? I wonder how ya feel when the opposite is true? Howzzabout ya don’t just lose something, rather ya just aren’t doing a good job of “watching it”? Don’t ya think there are ppl that “feel” for ya because of your “unfortunate lapse”…..but, just happen to feel for them selves a fair bit more?

Yes, pretty much. And personally, if I was the one to lose it, I’d probably be pretty unhappy, but I would have no qualm with the thief. Probably try and get my money back if I met them, but no reason I couldn’t be friendly. So I’d be more annoyed about actually losing my money in the first place, rather than it being stolen, as my lack of money then would be the major concern, rather than geting revenge on someone who’s actions are hardly objectionable from my point of view.

And I’ll just stay out of the whole scotch thing now, you just confused me a bit then. Aside from the alchoholic drink, I never hear the work “Scotch” used.

Flag Post
LOL….so ya’re quite SELFISHLY comfortable w/ taking advantage of the misfortune of another person? I wonder how ya feel when the opposite is true? Howzzabout ya don’t just lose something, rather ya just aren’t doing a good job of “watching it”? Don’t ya think there are ppl that “feel” for ya because of your “unfortunate lapse”…..but, just happen to feel for themselves a fair bit more?

Yes, pretty much. And personally, if I was the one to lose it, I’d probably be pretty unhappy, but I would have no qualm with the thief.

I wouldn’t allow too many ppl (esp. of a particular ilk) know about this…lol

Probably try and get my money back if I met them, but no reason I couldn’t be friendly.

OH, PAULEEEEZE go into much more detail on this.

So I’d be more annoyed about actually losing my money in the first place, rather than it being stolen,…

Understandable….to a point.

…as my lack of money then would be the major concern,
Major or minor…the losing of money likely IS of concern….to most ppl.

… rather than geting revenge on someone who’s actions are hardly objectionable from my point of view.

I never brought up “revenge”…..why do YOU? I’m only talking about the “revenge” of attitude about a person who would keep money they found w/ NO INTENT to find its RIGHTFUL OWNER.

AND, I think we’ve already established the point that YOU don’t believe such behaviior is “objectionable”. Do ya know anything about sociopathic behavior?

And I’ll just stay out of the whole scotch thing now, you just confused me a bit then. Aside from the alchoholic drink, I never hear the work “Scotch” used.

Sorry, something I did see in researching the “idiom” was that the term “Scotch” IS NOT used in Scotland (except in specific references). But, here in America, Soctch (non-perjoratively) is very prevalent…..in many ways besides the beverage.

Flag Post

Good grief. Must I reinvent the wheel here?

No, but you could make sure what you are saying is clear. Your intent strongly suggested a racial slur, which is always going to get my back up.

Flag Post
I wouldn’t allow too many ppl (esp. of a particular ilk) know about this…lol

Why do you think I’m talking anonymously on an internet forum instead of proclaiming the details to all the world?

OH, PAULEEEEZE go into much more detail on this.

I just don’t have a problem with it. That’s it. The only thing that really annoys me is idiocy, I have no problem with someone doing what I consider sensible.

Understandable….to a point.

Major or minor…the losing of money likely IS of concern….to most ppl.

There might be other concerns that people might consider more major than the money. I am talking about myself, so I felt it wise to place that as major.

I never brought up “revenge”…..why do YOU? I’m only talking about the “revenge” of attitude about a person who would keep money they found w/ NO INTENT to find its RIGHTFUL OWNER.

AND, I think we’ve already established the point that YOU don’t believe such behaviior is “objectionable”. Do ya know anything about sociopathic behavior?

I needed to find an alternative reason someone might have. What reason do you have for wanting to apprehend that thief, other than to get your money back? I honestly just made the best guess I could at why another would try.

And I don’t. Anyone will seek to further their own aims, even if those aims happen to be something tied into moralism, such as helping the aims of others. I see no reason to fault them for it. And I know, yes. But sociopathy is different from a lack of moral bonding. While I am a sadist in addition to an amoralist, I am not errantly torturing animals like your site says, nor do I take risks to excess, and I know without doubt I feel love.

Flag Post
What reason do you have for wanting to apprehend that thief, other than to get your money back?

The prime reason is to stop them doing it to someone else. It gets a thief off the streets and behind bars. Realistically there’s very little chance of getting your money back from them.

Flag Post

And I don’t. Anyone will seek to further their own aims, even if those aims happen to be something tied into moralism, such as helping the aims of others. I see no reason to fault them for it. And I know, yes. But sociopathy is different from a lack of moral bonding. While I am a sadist in addition to an amoralist, I am not errantly torturing animals like your site says, nor do I take risks to excess, and I know without doubt I feel love.

First: There are “degrees” of sociopathy and not all criteria have to be met for inculsion.
Second: One can be as “amoral” (is that a new fad or something? Should we let the Emo’s know they’re now “out”?) as they want. However, some folks feel kinda strongly about having their property converted “Conversion is a common law tort. A conversion is a voluntary act by one person inconsistent with the ownership rights of another.1 It is a tort of strict liability.2 Its criminal counterpart is theft.

AND. Being a sadist doesn’t mean ya have to be a social asshole.

Flag Post
The prime reason is to stop them doing it to someone else. It gets a thief off the streets and behind bars. Realistically there’s very little chance of getting your money back from them.

Fair enough, I hadn’t thought of that one. Thanks.

First: There are “degrees” of sociopathy and not all criteria have to be met for inculsion.
Second: One can be as “amoral” (is that a new fad or something? Should we let the Emo’s know they’re now “out”?) as they want. However, some folks feel kinda strongly about having their property converted“Conversion is a common law tort. A conversion is a voluntary act by one person inconsistent with the ownership rights of another.1 It is a tort of strict liability.2 Its criminal counterpart is theft.

AND. Being a sadist doesn’t mean ya have to be a social asshole.

Okay then. I still personally doubt I fit the diagnose, but your call.
And yes, I kinda doubt anyone would be happy. That’s why I went into detail about sneaking it away and said I’d throw it over to the guy or a policeman if they were standing very near me. Otherwise, it’s an unneeded risk. (And I don’t know about whether it’s a “Fad” or not, honestly)

And I know. I was just pointing out that I actually have added incentive to torture, yet still I do not.

Flag Post

LOL, Ponkiny….I wasn’t saying that YOU are a sociopath. I just wanted to point out that someone who has no regard for the property of others to the point of remorsefully “thieving” it is but one of the descriptions that falls somewhere (degree) w/in the realm of sociopathic behavior.

That ya are cognizant that “sneaking it away” were any serious “threat” to the success of your “foul deed” shows that ya know doing it was “wrong” in some form. THAT begs the question of why ya would do it. I’m not sure being a sadist is representative of such behavior,,,but yet one definition INDICATES it would:
“sadism:
1.hurting others for sexual pleasure: the gaining of sexual gratification by causing physical or mental pain to other people, or the acts that produce such gratification
2.being cruel for fun: the gaining of pleasure from causing physical or mental pain to people or animals
3.cruelty: great physical or mental cruelty”

As ya can see, sadistic behavior is very similar to that of the sociopath. BUT, ya haven’t made clear if your taking of the money is because ya need it (ya hinted at this) or that ya did it to “hurt” the owner….or, maybe both.

I’m still hoping that most sadists are mostly “controlled” as it would appear that YOU claim. OH, your concept of NOT “torturing” while wanting to still (somewhat?) falls w/in the description of sadism: _"Sadism is the derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain, cruelty, degradation, or humiliation, or, watching such behaviors inflicted on others.

So, I stand corrected….I guess being a sadist actually does (might?) mean that one is a social asshole…..lol Ya don’t give your age, if it is very young….yer “self-diagnosis” might be a tad off. At least I hope so…..for your sake and that of others.

The fact that ya care that the thief should be behind bars so as to not hurt others makes me think ya really aren’t any more “sadistic” than most of us that would greatly luv to cause some level “harm” to a good number of ppl. LOL

This story about a local incident fits perfectly into this thread. A couple of eeerrrrrr “interesting” aspects of it jump out at me. 1) the woman “waited in hopes” the customer would return. After two weeks of not doing so, one would assume the postman wasn’t a “regular”…..SO, why would one believe that she would so easily recognize him. 2) that the wallet was discovered by an “angel” who gave it to her rather than just stealthily pocket it. I find it interesting that the word STEAL is in stealthily….lol