How will the world end? page 2

70 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:
Originally posted by hangman95:
Originally posted by Immortal7777:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda%E2%80%93Milky_Way_collision

links outside kong annoy me. at the very least, give me a summary of what it says and then provide the link for evidence/detail purposes. I dont know where that link leads.

ok, here’s the summary:

Milky-Way collision.

Isn’t that suppose to be like in a few billion years, I am curious about that though, If our solar system is flung out of our galaxy, or if earth is somewhat thrown away from our sun, what would happen??…would earth become a dark desolate wasteland, or will all of our systems planets plummet into the sun as it nears us…or will life somehow survive…

Originally posted by kastor246:

Scientist say there is a mega volcano in yellow stone park that is ready to explode any time. And they say if it goes off every thing in like a 500 mile radius would be nothing. Also if it goes off it will cause earthqaukes. And there will be alot of smoke in the air for about 3-5 years then will clear up but they say it would take another 10-15 years to get power back. And that there is a good chance we will have a nucular snow. Which we have never had to deal with and we all will probably die. Good enough?

^^as for this…I see no real extinction problem there, except for America, the ash will cause wide spread weather changes and will take years to clear out, so we’re basically talking about another ice age…but here’s the catch…most humans would probably survive it as we did so many times before, and scientists in my opinion blow these types of things out of proportion….sure I think a lot of the northern countries will freeze their asses off, but the weather changes would not be as horribly dramatic in some places as in others, so as for the whole world freezing over, I hardly think that would happen…..

Oh but back on topic…I really think an asteroid collision is more of a threat to the human race, I mean it makes more sense than some type of super virus or THE WHOLE WORLD being affected by some type of nuclear war, plus it’s totally random, for all we know a giant object might have been deflected off another asteroid as I write this and is plummeting towards earth as I post.

Flag Post
Isn’t that suppose to be like in a few billion years, I am curious about that though, If our solar system is flung out of our galaxy, or if earth is somewhat thrown away from our sun, what would happen??…would earth become a dark desolate wasteland, or will all of our systems planets plummet into the sun as it nears us…or will life somehow survive…

well we don’t really know, but there’s speculation about it. youtube has videos about it, look it up there if you wanna know.

Flag Post

4 posibilities. 1. Man kind destroys itself with a mushroom war that turns the whole world into a descendant wasteland. No Fallout involvement intended.

2. An asteroid that is too big to stop hits the earth and the earth is completely obliterated and reformed into a new planet. So it’s the end of one world but the beginning of a new one, though that would take a long time.

3. The sun will run out of energy and blow up in a super nova explosion.

4. Our sun turns into a red giant. If that happens Mercury, Venus, Earth, and possibly Mars will be swallowed up by the sun.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

What do you mean by the world?
The earth?
Well:
- Eruption of a supervulcano, the ashes would block off all unlight
- When the gulf stream shuts down (and it probably will, some day), fytoplankton will die out.

The Universe?
- When time stops, either in 3.3 billion years or… at any moment just now, before you even finished this sentence. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/3319218/Time-is-running-out-literally-says-scientist.html)

Flag Post
Originally posted by mooner2105:

peronally if the world will end it will be by mans hand in some way shape or form one guys is going to fuck up and thats that i see the last words ever spoken “i wonder what this button does”

id press that button in a heartbeat

Flag Post

We have people watching for asteroid that could hurt the planet. They shoot mistles at them to prevent this thing so I guess we will be ok.

Flag Post

We have people watching for asteroid that could hurt the planet. They shoot mistles at them to prevent this thing so I guess we will be ok.

Citation needed.

Who (outside of science fiction) is ready to shoot missiles at asteroids?

Flag Post

If Obama’s reelected.

Flag Post

Besides, it is a very big sky, and an asteroid is an easy thing to miss. There have been a few close calls in our history, where we’ve only detected the asteroid after it has passed through our orbit.

Flag Post

The world will end after Humanity has spread to other solar systems, and a nation (or group) independent of Earth will end up nuking one of the nations of the Earth, thus further sparking an M.A.D. scenario between the large nations of the Earth( I don’t think Earth will be unified for a LOOOOONG time, even if FTL travel is discovered).
Humanity will still survive in the galaxy though and we will probably be seen as assholes by most of the aliens. At that point, they will try to unleash a virus on us or just go straight for genocide by doomsday weaponry (space nukes, etc).

Flag Post

What the heck is a ‘space nuke’?

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

What the heck is a ‘space nuke’?

I just used “space nuke” to mean any future, super-nukes more powerful than anything we have right now. Like, planet destroying bombs and what-not. Basically doomsday weaponry.

I say we all move to Mars before the Martians destroy us!

Flag Post

Read Revelation for the biblical story of the world ending. It doesn’t say “God will end it cuz he can” It says that once everyone has had the “chance” to become a Christian or Messianic Jew God will take them up to heaven and leave people like Muslims, Jews (At least currently) etc.

Flag Post

BEWARE this reply is very opinionated and one-sided so read at your own risk!

Also “The God Particle” or dark energy is unexplained. Scientists say that God isn’t real because he is unexplained and has no proof. And yet they still believe in dark energy even though it is unexplained and has no proof. Don’t say it has proof because scientists are just nerdy guys who want to tell people what to do.

Flag Post
Originally posted by princewilliam3:

And yet they still believe in dark energy even though it is unexplained and has no proof.

… More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the Universe’s expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 70% of the Universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 25%. The rest – everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter – adds up to less than 5% of the Universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn’t be called “normal” matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the Universe.

One explanation for dark energy is that it is a property of space. Albert Einstein was the first person to realize that empty space is not nothing. Space has amazing properties, many of which are just beginning to be understood…

Source

So much for the claim that we ‘know nothing’, and have ‘no proof’. We’ve been able to detect that there’s another force at work, and can show experimentally that what we understand as normal matter isn’t the complete picture.

What remains is a lot of work on narrowing down what this unknown state actually is, and what it’s properties are. We can detect it, but not a lot else at this juncture.

Flag Post

Besides, it is a very big sky, and an asteroid is an easy thing to miss. There have been a few close calls in our history, where we’ve only detected the asteroid after it has passed through our orbit.

This is correct, not only do most of them miss or burn up in the atmosphere, but Jupiter and its enormous gravity acts like a big brother and absorbs a lot of asteroids for us.

Flag Post

"

Originally posted by hangman95:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda%E2%80%93Milky_Way_collision

links outside kong annoy me. at the very least, give me a summary of what it says and then provide the link for evidence/detail purposes. I dont know where that link leads.

The summary is right at the article’s entry. “The Andromeda–Milky Way collision is a predicted galaxy collision that will take place in approximately 4 billion years’ time (…)”

Flag Post
Originally posted by princewilliam3:

BEWARE this reply is very opinionated and one-sided so read at your own risk!

Also “The God Particle” or dark energy is unexplained. Scientists say that God isn’t real because he is unexplained and has no proof. And yet they still believe in dark energy even though it is unexplained and has no proof. Don’t say it has proof because scientists are just nerdy guys who want to tell people what to do.

Wait, so…dark energy is connected to Revelations?

Originally posted by Darear:

If Obama’s reelected.

Keep trolling, bud.

on-topic:

I’d agree with vika that the end will happen in stages (but without the cylon rights stuff). All that needs to happen is the political upheavals of one or two nuclear countries. The Israel / Iran thing would do nicely. All that needs to happen is:

Destruction of the economy (from sanctions, costly wars, etc) > civil riots > weak outsider interference (that is, enough to cause collateral damage, but not enough to actually resolve the problem) > resignation / assassination of ranking politicos > widespread civil war and spillover into other countries > hardline rebels take over nuclear facility > Arm and let ’er rip at perceived outsider aggressors > unilateral retaliation > multilateral retaliation > slow death from starvation / nuclear winter.

Put another way, if the Soviets had invaded Pakistan instead of Afghanistan, we’d almost certainly be all dead.

Flag Post

everyone nuking each other…….. idiots we should just shoot all those missiles at Pluto _

Flag Post
Originally posted by teh_hobo:

everyone nuking each other…….. idiots we should just shoot all those missiles at Pluto _

Great in theory… in reality, they’ll run out of thrust well within Earth’s planetary gravity well. A random rain of thermonuclear missiles across earth’s landmass and oceans. Not so great in practice.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

In a few billion years when the Sun goes kablooey.

Yes, this is how the world would die. The naturally good way.

For the other theories;
A nuclear war? Very Unlikely chances. Nations are rather getting more united.
Pollution? As you said, we’d make more & better technologies, which could mean that we’d have had already found alternative ways to deal with trash and wastes.
Man-made terror? Humans have the knowledge and perhaps experience, we’d know well on what to do to avoid/prevent such.

It wouldn’t kill if humans might turn back to cavemen, but at least the specie survives.

Flag Post

I think we might be able to terraform by the time the sun goes out(or at least be able to move to another solar system). Maybe even reuse the sun(though, would be a waste).

What do you think might happen in the case of a lack of resources on earth in the immediate future?

I read that we are going to need another planet of resources by 2020 to be able to keep the human race alive. (in other words – using way too many resources, and letting it go to waste instead of recycling. transform into unusable material and only living for the moment).
The article said “humans are using 1 and a half planets of resources” (not sure what they meant. dodgy website though).

Flag Post
Originally posted by teh_hobo:

Great in theory… in reality, they’ll run out of thrust well within Earth’s planetary gravity well. A random rain of thermonuclear missiles across earth’s landmass and oceans. Not so great in practice.

okay then well just shoot them all at uranus :P

Flag Post

Same problem, Hobo. An intercontinental balistic does not have enough thrust to escape this planet’s gravity well. No matter where out there you aim it, it will always return to this planet.