Is it fair for me to be scared of Russia?

44 posts

Flag Post

I’m worried about Russia. There’s a growing aura surrounding the country in regard to dictatorial abuse and suppression of resistance.

Some of you may point to similarities in China, but I get a sinister feeling surrounding Russia and I will never go there.

Do you think the feeling is justified?

Flag Post

FREE PUSSY RIOT!

But yeah Putin is kind of a dick, so it’s fair to make that assumption. Add to that the Russian economy isn’t quite as reliant on imports/exports as a lot of other industrialized nations and you get a country that has no need to give a fuck about its enemies.

Also a lot of their military action against resistance is based around what they view as counter-terrorism (what other countries do that… can’t think of any…) Think of the Chechen rebels to Russia what the Irish Republican Army is to Northern Ireland.

Flag Post

scared for what? naw. Russia isn’t the one constantly invading other countries in legally questionble actions. Russia isn’t the country that actually debated nuking another country. Russia isn’t acting like it owns the world and everyone that disagrees is evil and should be feared and stopped at any cost.

Flag Post

When one of your foreign policy goals is preventing the expansion of anti-ballistic missile networks, that draws a little suspicion.

Flag Post

I strongly disagree with how this country is being governed right now, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone in a Western country to be afraid of Russia. Putin has enough to worry about with what is going on in the country right now. The last thing he needs now is more enemies.

Flag Post

Well, there are evil nazists in the country that tell tourists to go fuck themselves when asked by them for directions, but i did not think it was that bad…

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

scared for what? naw. Russia isn’t the one constantly invading other countries in legally questionble actions. Russia isn’t the country that actually debated nuking another country. Russia isn’t acting like it owns the world and everyone that disagrees is evil and should be feared and stopped at any cost.

Selective reasoning. Russia backs the Syrian government’s efforts at genocide. Say what you will about the USA (or insinuate), but Russia is problematic for the world.

On a side note, it does tire me whenever someone brings up a corrupt government, and then someone HAS to go on an obligatory tirade against the USA. So trendy. So vogue. So off topic.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

I strongly disagree with how this country is being governed right now, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone in a Western country to be afraid of Russia. Putin has enough to worry about with what is going on in the country right now. The last thing he needs now is more enemies.

Who ever said Putin was good at balancing priorities?
He certainly did a shoddy job of handling the last elections.
And he still wants that military buildup. He probably isn’t going to use it, but he’s right now leveraging countries like Iran against the West. We might crack them with sanctions soon, but not soon enough.

Flag Post

trendy for a reason. and not off topic at all.

glad you recognised it though. i mentioned the USA nowhere.

Flag Post

scared for what? naw. Russia isn’t the one constantly invading other countries in legally questionble actions.

Uh what about Geoergia like four years ago?

Flag Post

well ok, sure, that’s one.

Flag Post

trendy for a reason. and not off topic at all.

glad you recognised it though. i mentioned the USA nowhere.

He did say it was a side note.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ungeziefer:

scared for what? naw. Russia isn’t the one constantly invading other countries in legally questionble actions.

Uh what about Iraq? What about NATO bombing Libya? To take it further, what about the Cod Wars?

Flag Post

I think you missed the point, Pulsaris. Ungeziefer didn’t deny anything. He was just showing that the claim that “Russia isn’t the one constantly invading other countries” isn’t true.

Flag Post

Uhhh…what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Georgia%E2%80%93Russia_crisis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_in_Afghanistan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_war
http://history.state.gov/milestones/1961-1968/soviet-invasion-czechoslavkia

I mean…c’mon man lol.

Flag Post

^of all of those, only Georgia isn’t ancient history. if we are really gonna go decades back…come on now, that’s before the iron curtain, that’s ancient history.\

and your list doesn’t begin to compare to the same list for the US.

Flag Post

Both countries are ruled by humans, so it should come as no surprise that both show human arrogance in their behavior.

Relative to the scale of power they possess, you’ll find similar lists for every human organisation on the planet.

Flag Post

Why is it that every single person I meet usually is scared, or hates Russia, China, and North Korea.
I’ve never met someone offline that hasn’t hated them, and there’s only a small handful online that I find that don’t as well.

They aren’t as bad as they are made out to be, North Korea isn’t the ideal nation, but they sure do have a few things right.
China, well they are just being China. There’s nothing much to say about them, but they still aren’t as bad as they are shown to be.
Then there’s Russia, that honestly doesn’t have too many things wrong with it.

While everyone I meat in real life and I mean everyone, and tons of people online LOVE America, and if you say something regarding it being bad they shove their fists in their ears and start screaming about how you are a terrorist or how you are “delusional”.
No matter the proof you show them, they will still deny everything.
No matter what you show them about other countries they will always respond with something along “MUH FREEDOM, I’ll NEVER leave America!”.

If you try to tell someone how the unemployment rate in other countries is much lower, and how the quality of life is there, even with proof of the matter they will respond in negative way about “That country has no freedom, the healthcare is shit, and the crime is too high and our unemployment rate is fine! Oh and they are racist sick fucks!”.
Keep in mind this is to a unemployed person at that, which needs a job and knows about how shitty their healthcare and all that is.

So, American healthcare isn’t complete shit if you aren’t upper middle class or above?
And how you can’t go to the doctor because you aren’t approved for health insurance, or how your kids need braces, and I mean NEED them, or how you can’t go get anything checked up on unless you are the lucky few that they allow through because they need someone to show for their “healthcare”.

Or how our unemployment rate is terrifying compared to many other countries, and how our minimum wage is so low you literally can not live off a full time job with it without living in a shelter, which is horrible as well as hard to get into considering they are always filled, oh and did I mention how your new found home requires you to WORK there over 20hours a week in most cases?
You can’t get out of there working there that often, and it’s worse if you have kids.

Or how there is mass shootings and murders every single day in the USA, and for example Canada has far far far less.

Oh, and what about our freedom?
The media doesn’t even tell the truth half the time, and they always leave out important stories, or odd stories.
Have you noticed there has been three mass shootings recently? The Movie theater, The empire state building or whatever, and that Sikhs shooting?
Yes, that’s what you have heard, and all in just a few months! OH NOOOOO! WHAT EVIL IS HAPPENING WHY IS THERE ALL THIS TERRORISM, MUH FREEDOM!
How come you haven’t heard of ANY other minority mass shootings, all of these people were white. One was plastered with the title of a Nazi even though he was just in a band, and not part of any real Nazi group, just music.
Please, give me a reason, they have had them, big ones, by why haven’t they been on the big screen in new york getting whored out on ABC?
Please, elaborate.
Then there’s the fact that you can be arrested for nearly anything at this point, and we don’t even have freedom of speech anymore, nor the right to privacy.

It makes me wonder, are people actually this brainwashed?
It’s even funnier talking to someone who hasn’t been poor, remind you I’m talking about what poor and rich people say, but the rich people are even funnier to listen too because they literally have no idea the system that takes place for people below them.

/WastedThirtyMinutesOfMyLife

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pulsaris:
Originally posted by Ungeziefer:

Uh what about Iraq? What about NATO bombing Libya? To take it further, what about the Cod Wars?

It’s hardly fair to say that NATO attacking an oppressive regime with the backing of the UN (which is kind of representative of, you know, the world) compares to Russia’s brutal treatment of minorities within its borders, and the invasion of Georgia, and how they refuse to let any action be taken in Syria because they can sell Assad weapons, and how they support countries like Iran so they can have leverage against the west, and how they are trying to rebuilt an Eastern European coalition of nations that sounds a lot like a modern day Warsaw Pact, and how they seem to be against reductions in nuclear weapon arsenals and expansions of anti-ballistic missile shields. Compare that to one war.
And the Cold War is kind of a moot point, as Russia was responsible for that as well, being the other combatant and all.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Both countries are ruled by humans, so it should come as no surprise that both show human arrogance in their behavior.

Relative to the scale of power they possess, you’ll find similar lists for every human organisation on the planet.

no i don’t think you can simply claim “it’s even for everyone”. it certainly isn’t, and saying so is a blanket excuse for everything.

everything is definitely not blakc and white the way Tolkien would make it, but there’s certainly shades of grey and we can certainly control our own shade, and by extention, that of any group we are a part of.

if you look at current events, North Korea would be among the darkest of shades world-wide. among Western nations, the USA really is quite a dark shade of grey.

Flag Post

While I agree with the sentiment that these places aren’t as bad as many people make them out to be, and that America is hardly the “Greatest nation in the world,” there are measures of success and the three mentioned countries, Russian, China, and North Korea have some pretty awful marks in some pretty important measurements. Russia has a disturbing contrast in rural and city life, as does China. There are places that their governments don’t even visit or address, unless another countries tries to and suddenly they cry about constituency. Any country whose leader has rigged the election every single year to the point of hilarity needs to be looked at with a cautious eye.

Flag Post

Mr. Greene, I take it you aren’t an American. While I admit America has many flaws like most other countries, I would say that you a)exaggerate about how bad America is and b) fail to address how North Korea, China, or Russia are better places to live.
While there are uber-Patriots on the web that are like “AMERICUH IS AWESOME AND EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A NAZI/COMMIE/TERRORIST.”, most Americans are fairly reasonable people. Like you said, we have our fair share of idiots (who doesn’t), but you come off as though you are generalizing the American populace; you may not be, i’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but please realize that each country has its share of reasonable people and idiots.
I will admit health care is a large issue, as is unemployment and crime, and there are countries in Western and Northern Europe that do have an admittedly higher standard of living in some aspects (of course not all, Spain last I heard was at 20% Unemployment). We are also going through a recession right now which doesn’t help (usually the situation is a lot better). America is still a lot more well off than most of the world (INCLUDING North Korea, China, and Russia). Also on murders, if a country has 300,000,000 people in it, someone is bound to become pissed off at someone else enough to kill that someone everyday, and mass murders while not nonexistent, are nowhere near rampant (three happening in a month is a big rarity). While there is a lot of bullshit surrounding our politics and politicians sometimes, it is one of the prices of democratic elections since everyone tries to win the vote. Also most of our news networks are biased (FOX to the right, NBC to the Left) as a result of political bullshit, but still provide news and numerous sources should be used to make an informed decision, and we are having a surge of independents which are not voting just on party lines so it isn’t all bullshit. Our freedom of speech is largely protected under the first amendment (give me some examples this isn’t true in recent times). And under the Bill of Rights, we have guaranteed rights to our own property and to a fair trial, against self-incrimination, illegal seizure, and other protections from the government.

Now as for North Korea, the only reason they haven’t collapsed yet is we keep sending them food so their people dont starve under their failed communist regime. The country is under the dynastic dictatorship of an insane family; Kim Jon Il alone said he invented the hamburger and scored 11 holes in one in his first game of golf. No one is allowed to leave or enter and many freedoms from the government are nonexistent. They also now have nuclear missiles which have luckily not been used against South Korea or Japan. China, while still relatively better, is not by much. There is still severe disparity between the rural and city populations and there is little elected representation of the people. There is no protection of workers who are forced by managers to work 16 hour days sometimes for little pay. The pollution is also awful and there is much censorship of everything from books to the internet (during the Arab Spring, the Chinese Government blocked searches of Egypt). Not to mention the tensions between certain ethnic minorities such as the Tibetans and Mongolians.
Russia is no paradise either. With large spread corruption within the government with discontentment only made worse because Putin would not allow third party investigators to check the ballots (some places had over 100% voter turnout). The population is significantly decreasing, their military is aging, there is disparity between the cities and rural area, and high murder rates.

tl;dr
America isn’t as bad as you are implying and North Korea, Russia, China are significantly worse off than we are.
Sorry if I got a bit off topic and it seemed like a rant, I mean no offense really. ;)
I guess I better do my homework now.

Flag Post

we weren’t talking about how well off the people in these countries are. we were talking about if we should fear these countries.

Flag Post

we weren’t talking about how well off the people in these countries are. we were talking about if we should fear these countries.

Yeah, I kind of figured that at by the end of my rant, I just didn’t want to delete it all after 20 minutes. Sorry about that.

I think Russia may still play a role in international affairs, but they wont be able to regain superpower status for a long time unless drastic changes happen. After all, as I said

Russia is no paradise either. With large spread corruption within the government with discontentment only made worse because Putin would not allow third party investigators to check the ballots (some places had over 100% voter turnout). The population is significantly decreasing, their military is aging, there is disparity between the cities and rural area, and high murder rates.

Russia has its own problems, although I would still be cautious with them like I would with any wary country. They still have some military and political power.